Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You're SomeOne Special Program (SOS) - Discontinued [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:24 pm

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tom911:
Are you sure about that? I never received any as a Platinum. My first batch arrived when I made EXP. I do recall reading here that anyone could phone in and request a stack of them, though.</font>
My status with AA has never been higher than Gold and I received and used a bunch of them. I had no idea though, that I could have requested more of them. Well, my fault that I wasn't reading FT back then.

andy
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I can confirm that email or letter detailing some good thing done by an AA employee will make a difference in their career at AA. It depends on context and their manager, but it really does make a difference and I use it to encourage behaviour that I approve of. Isn't that the Flyertalk way?
ps. despite all the complaints on this forum, I've found AA employees to be quite good and often going out of their way to be helpful ... not sure why they got rid of SOS, maybe it was a fairness thing (how would you ever give an SOS to a baggage handler or a mechanic, or even a pilot?).
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:08 pm

Programs: Peaked at AA PLT in '04 (Thanks to FT!) Dropped to Gold in '05, Trying 'Gold Challenge' for '06 :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
no</font>
Actually I was quite pleased to see "no" and not the rather withering - I had been wondering if I'd passed muster with this, my first ever topic title! I must admit, I do think I could have done better... Nerves you know! It's a shame titles can't be edited over and over again too.

Having said that, I STILL wasn't sure and misunderstood [Thanks FlyCo ] the post - wonderfully succinct though it was! I suspected you might be a staffer saying no to offering your take on the subject! LOL

[This message has been edited by WebbyWunda (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:29 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WebbyWunda:
Having said that, I STILL wasn't sure and misunderstand the post </font>
not sure how anyone could be confused by "AA's 'SOS' vouchers - Any use?"

it's rather straightforward to me.

also, do you mean "I still wasn't sure and misunderSTOOD the post"??

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:40 pm

Programs: Peaked at AA PLT in '04 (Thanks to FT!) Dropped to Gold in '05, Trying 'Gold Challenge' for '06 :(
Some very interesting responses so far, thanks. It's good to hear that a positive letter/Email has some effect.

I'm starting to miss those SOS vouchers even though I've never even seen one! It definitely sounds as though they were a very good way to ensure that good customer service would be recognised, at least by AA's more frequent customers if not the management!

However, I can imagine that the staff who remain behind the scenes might well consider it unfair though... I have to assume it's a particularly tricky issue when unions are involved? Was this a factor in their demise?

Any other thoughts on methods of showing appreciation? Reward systems? I've considered buying some classy biscuits or sweets for good service too, as per another FT'er's suggestion elsewhere. Are small personal gifts like that allowed and/or appreciated?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
also, do you mean "I still wasn't sure and misunderSTOOD the post"?? </font>
... and misunderstand??? Ooops! See what nerves can do?! Thanks for pointing out that error, FlyCo - I'll endeavour to correct it immediately!

PS... Having finally managed to catch up with all of the last week's postings I discovered the great thread picking various FA's brains -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/020673.html

It's very illuminating (and I'll certainly be checking out those Godiva cards too).

Thanks to those who breathed life into my first-born! Of course I'm hoping my little thread won't fade away just yet...

[Edited for editing reasons]

[This message has been edited by WebbyWunda (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old May 12, 2004, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Lightbulb Flash e-mail mob: How to get AA's attention and bring back the SOS program (maybe!)

Having read through JonNYC's excellent thread on restarting the SOS program, I was wondering if there was some way to get AA's attention. In the press recently I've read about "flash mobs": Large groups of people who show up at a set time in a public place (i.e. Barnes and Noble, Georgetown) and do something like sing Kumbaya. So I was thinking what if we all sent AA an e-mail on Monday, May 17 asking them to bring back the SOS program (Monday would be good so that the impact would last all week).

If you're up to it, on AA.com go to Customer Service then AA customer relations then "E-mail AA." Under Nature of E-mail select "Suggestion/Comment," and then for the subject, select "Employee Commendations."

I figure if we're lucky, we should be able to get maybe 10-15 EXPs, 20 PLTs, and a dozen or so GLDs, in other words at least 3-4 million year-miles.
Old May 12, 2004, 8:13 am
Suspended

I appreciate the kind words and the sentiment. While "it couldn't hurt" (as they say) my impression is that doing so via AA.com might not have too much effect. Each email rep will read and respond to their email, then it is in archives. The email is not seen by another person, only the subject statistics are accumulated. They will see the blip on the chart of emails for that category, and I am not sure they even have a category for SOS, but maybe.

Although it's much more work, I think individual e-mails and/or letters to VP-Customer Service, Manager Customer Relations and VP HR (I wish I could tell you where/how to find their e-mail addresses-- I am not "at work" right now )
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:59 pm

SOS Coupons

I haven't had the opportunity to fly AA for quite a while, but have a flight next month.

In doing some cleaning, I found a few 2001 SOS (Someone Special) coupons. You are supposed to give these to employees for good service, and they can redeem them for valuable prizes.

Does anyone know if these are still any good?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:04 pm

No more SOS

Unfortunately, AA discontinued the SOS program so your old coupons don't have any real value anymore.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll still be sure to wear the "Proud to Fly American" button I got here on FT
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Sos = Sol

Unfortunately, the SOS program was done in by beancounters, since employees could use the SOS coupons for travel-related prizes, company store purchases, etc. So, what IMO was a good way of giving feedback that also counted for something was terminated around the time morale was becoming lower than whale feces on the ocean floor because of, let's see, 9-11 and the deaths of a number of colleagues, the conomic consequences, furloughs, wage and hour givebacks, etc. etc.

One would have thought they'd keep some aspects of the program, at elast getting employees instant feedback they could then turn in for personnel gummed star stickers or the like , but no, it's deader than a one-legged chicken crossing I-80 downtown during rush hour.

Some of us continued to hand 'em out until they were exhausted, however - employees still light up at them, even though they don;t offer any tangible rewards these days. And some of us have "fought back" with our interim answer, as you can read in this thread - as well as writing AA, not only complain when things go wrong, but to give kudos when they are due.

Your SOS coupons are memorabilia, or can still be handed out - as can any reasonable facsimile thereof, as it used to say on ceral boxes with contest coupons... Cheers, and happy flying!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: Most
Found SOS Program Cards from 2001

I was cleaning out some travel stuff and found (10) SOS 2001 Cards. It says they never expire and I was wondering what employees receive when they get these cards?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
At the time, they got about $5 worth of something (such as a chain store gift card; the employee's choice from a list) plus a variable amount of appreciation from their management. The first part is gone. The second is probably still in effect, along with a chuckle that someone still had one lying around!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've got a bunch of those sitting around somewhere. They used to be worth quite a bit for employees who stockpiled them. The AApplause certs are worth much less in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.