Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you buy a seat for a dog?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I don't own a dog, but my new goal in life is to buy the drooling dog from a movie like Turner and Hooch and sit next to Shareholder.
^ I've never seen someone react quite like that. Id rather have a dog next me then some 350 pound behemoth.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Correct, you don't "have" to buy the seat, you can bring a small pet as a carryon and pay a fee and the pet shares the seat w/you. If you buy a second seat then the pet can indeed occupy the seat - and that would be necessary for a lab or other larger breeds.
I think OP sounds like traveled well enough with pet to know that, OP’s question is if there is another option of purchasing a seat for a pet.

I do not own a pet at this moment, had great Akita dog when I was little, but I remember gate agents and FAs saying that at AA pets need to be in a container during the entire flight, cannot take a pet out to hold during the flight. Also, at AA I think pets need to be small enough to fit into a container which can fit under the seat. If AA allows purchasing another seat for pets, then does same condition apply for a pet, such as have to be small enough to fit in to a container which fit under the seat, etc.?

About having pets in a cabin, least in the U.S. pretty much most local health code prohibit pets in restaurants due to hygiene concerns, etc. except for guide animals. Since drinks and meals are served onboard I do think airlines have to consider such issues regarding having pets in a cabin. I think Shareholder has a point.

I remember once on AA 757 flight. There was a dog accompanying a passenger in F. I really think the dog was not a guide dog but one of those “comfort animals” or whatever people call it. Then a passenger sitting next to a passenger with a dog said he is allergic to dogs. Then musical chair in F cabin started because there were couples sitting together, some passengers did not want to sit next to a dog, etc. Pretty much most of passengers in F ended up reseating. What bothered me was that a passenger with a dog said nothing during the musical chair, did not make an eye contact with other passengers, like it were all our problem and not his. The passenger with a dog could least acknowledge that we were all trying to make thing work.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
There was a dog accompanying a passenger in F. I really think the dog was not a guide dog but one of those “comfort animals” or whatever people call it.
...did not make an eye contact with other passengers, like it were all our problem and not his.
Perhaps it was a guide dog.

Last edited by grrizzli; Jan 17, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by grrizzli
Perhaps it was a guide dog.
Well, this person sure did not have any problem standing up to get items from overhead storage and going to lav during the flight without this dog. Also, guide dogs for visually impaired people wear a strap with specific handle for a person to hold onto. Also, one of common clue about visually impaired people are that they tend to move their head differently, because they always trying to hear sounds by their ears rather than trying to look using their eyes. I guess having family members (yes, more than one person) happen to be physically disable help me know those stuff.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Accoring to the OP, efficient = crazy. I look forward to being as crazy as possible in the future

I don't own a dog, but my new goal in life is to buy the drooling dog from a movie like Turner and Hooch and sit next to Shareholder.
Brilliant ^^^
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Outrageous! Cabins are for people and while I recognize many people can be quite questionable in their appearance, hygiene and manners, the idea of having even dogs and cats in the cabin is appalling on so many grounds. I recognize the need for seeing eye dogs, but even find the idea of carrying a smaller pet onto a flight in a case inappropriate. And an animal eating in a cabin... Corporations may be people, but pets/animals are not people and do not belong in an airplane cabin! Who wants a drooling dog sitting nearby in an already crowded cabin? Not to mention there are many people who have allergies to dogs and cats. I'd rather have a cello sitting across the aisle than a dog or cat! As for celebrity animals, this is likely more a publicity stunt than a precedence.
Somebody needs a hug, or maybe a dog...
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
I'm split on this myself.....

...On one hand, if the dogs seat is being paid for at regular "people" fare then let them use it, but I'm not sure air travel in or below the cabin is really meant for pets in the first place, so to discuss where they are appropriate may be already going too far.

Another "for" - I'd love, just for kicks, to bring my German Shepherds on an AA flight and see how they react. I'm guessing they wouldn't bother anyone and take it in stride (they have years of training between them). Heck, I've done plenty of LAX-DFW and IAD-U.S.A. cities with military Sherphers and other dogs nearby me over the last two years that it shouldn't be "news" to most frequent flyers.
But then - As pointed out above, if someone was allergic to dogs, I certainly would view this as MY issue and feel bad/guilty/at fault. Which brings me back around to thinking that "planes aren't for animals no matter where they are seated."
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nall
I believe you can buy an "extra seat" (you have to put that in as the first name) and I don't see why you couldn't put your animal there.

Also, I want to hear more about the Kangaroo in seat 4A.
The kangaroo (according to his handler in seat 4B) was on his way from a zoo in southern California to a zoo in the Midwest.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think OP sounds like traveled well enough with pet to know that, OP’s question is if there is another option of purchasing a seat for a pet.
Yes, I answered the OPs question w/that very information last night in my first post in this thread (#8)

The information re: pet in cabin rules - which you quoted - was a direct response to post #9.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Not sure about dogs but last month MCO-NYC there were 2 Siberian Lynxes on an AA flight. They were in the bulkhead seats in F in VERY large metal crates covered with cloth. Each one had a handler seated next to it. The handlers said they were on their way to do the Today Show. My 4 year old was thrilled.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Outrageous! Cabins are for people and while I recognize many people can be quite questionable in their appearance, hygiene and manners, the idea of having even dogs and cats in the cabin is appalling on so many grounds. I recognize the need for seeing eye dogs, but even find the idea of carrying a smaller pet onto a flight in a case inappropriate. And an animal eating in a cabin... Corporations may be people, but pets/animals are not people and do not belong in an airplane cabin! Who wants a drooling dog sitting nearby in an already crowded cabin? Not to mention there are many people who have allergies to dogs and cats. I'd rather have a cello sitting across the aisle than a dog or cat! As for celebrity animals, this is likely more a publicity stunt than a precedence.
I hear the allergy point often. The peanut allergy is possibly the worst allergy to have. Just remnants of peanuts in the air can send someone to the hospital and sometimes even lead to death. Yet AA or any airline has no such ban on peanuts (AA does however not serve peanuts, but there is no rule against passengers bringing peanuts on board). AA advises those with the peanut allergy to make appropriate actions before flying.

The dog allergy however is not as severe. It is more of an inconvenience. So if those with life threatening peanut allergies have to make preparations, then it is only fair to expect those with pet allergies to do the same.

Airplanes are communal places where we are all packed together. And often we will be near things we don't like, like crying babies, people talking during a redeye, smelly perfume, smelly food, inappropriate attire, dogs, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
My wife was on a flight from DFW-SAN a few years ago and there was a seal (yes, a seal) in first class. It was being transported from one of the other Sea Worlds to San Diego's.

The handler let it out of the crate at the gate before boarding for pictures but was crated in the seat for the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xero
The peanut allergy is possibly the worst allergy to have. Just remnants of peanuts in the air can send someone to the hospital and sometimes even lead to death.
There has never been a documented case or airborne peanut particles causing death. I've read a lot of articles on this and never been able to find one shred of evidence this actually happens. Every death was caused by ingestion.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Our cat travels with us and we don't take him out of his travel carrier. He fits under the seat and he's completely quiet during the entire flight(s).

Also, who's to say that pets aren't allowed in the cabin (as long as they behave), you?

As mentioned previously, the "allergy argument" doesn't really hold to much, especially if the pet is in their travel carrier.

^
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Compared to some of the people I've had sit next to me over the years, a choccy lab or some other large dog would be a vast improvement in terms of hygiene, manners and general pleasantness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.