Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you buy a seat for a dog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Glad I did a search before I posted and asked. But I've been a major frequent flyer on AA. I've seen quite a number of lap dogs, celebrity's dogs, mostly in carriers and I've seen the occasional service dog lying under the passengers seats. But I was really surprised last Tuesday, April 15 MIA-JFK in first class to see passenger and her standard poodle service "vest" dog in 2h & J. I'm not saying......but this woman did not appear blind or otherwise and yes, I know we do not know her disability. But I've also never seen a standard poodle whom I must say was groomed to the hilt. Taking off, the dog was so scared it jumped up on her lap and I thought it was going to fly over the chair onto my lap.
It eventually curled up quiet on the seat next to her.

Another poster mentioned hygiene and such. I have no issues with dogs, I love animals. But I was surprised. My husband and son are highly allergic and had they sat in that seat afterwards, they would have had itchy eyes the whole flight. Not to mention this was a very early morning flight and I know many will fly into NY for an early meeting dressed in suits and such. I guess poddles do not shed but this was the first time I'd seen a dog settled into a first class seat.

Others mention seeing dogs in first class seats. So is that the only way they get a seat is to purchase it in first class? WOW
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Outrageous! Cabins are for people and while I recognize many people can be quite questionable in their appearance, hygiene and manners, the idea of having even dogs and cats in the cabin is appalling on so many grounds. I recognize the need for seeing eye dogs, but even find the idea of carrying a smaller pet onto a flight in a case inappropriate. And an animal eating in a cabin... Corporations may be people, but pets/animals are not people and do not belong in an airplane cabin! Who wants a drooling dog sitting nearby in an already crowded cabin? Not to mention there are many people who have allergies to dogs and cats. I'd rather have a cello sitting across the aisle than a dog or cat! As for celebrity animals, this is likely more a publicity stunt than a precedence.
Cabins are for all living things, including cats and dogs.

And if it were a "publicity" stunt, you'd actually see it publicized. Yet you don't. AA does in fact accommodate "VIP" animals (not just dogs), as do most airlines.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was in bc, jfk-lax. The girl sitting next to me had a small poodle with a red vest marked "service dog"--she needed the dog for "support" (that's what she said). I guess if a doctor makes the proper certifications...lots of things can happen.
In schools, students with "learning disabilities" get any or all of the following: (1)1.5x or 2x time for tests, (2)notes with exams, (3)a reader.
PS: On the Swiss Railroads, tickets are "impersonal" = dogs pay just like people...but I've never seen dogs occupying seats.

Last edited by nrr; Apr 21, 2014 at 5:55 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
For San Francisco dogs are allowed on buses if muzzled and a fare is paid, but both they and service dogs are prohibited from being on seats (can only be on a lap or the floor). It's not only about allergies but it's akin to the same hygene reason that nude people are prohibited from sitting on seats without a towel or other cover. I'm not sure what to make of the people who put their dogs on seats in the AA lounges. Most serve food and that then violates most city health ordinanaces (which usually don't distinguish the type of animal so a dog is the same as having a rat present).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Some of the food should be classified as Gravy Train so a special meal shouldn't be a problem
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Cabins are for all living things, including cats and dogs.
Obviously. If God didn't intend for all living things to fly, she wouldn't have given airplanes wings.

Which begs the question, why are the cabins sprayed with insecticide on some international routes? Doesn't it violate the insects' right to fly?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold

Like this?

Last edited by relangford; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Do military working dogs in uniform get early boarding and space-available first class upgrades?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by marnold3
I think someone bought this little roo a seat (4A) on Flt 2444 (LAX-DFW) on 3/18/10. His/her human was in 4B.
If you check your menu I think you'll find that was your FC meal for that flight...

Roo tartar
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I used to be more sympathetic to the "cabins are for people" argument, then two things happened:

1. I read enough horror stories to convince me that the cargo compartment is no place for a living animal, unless you're trying to collect on some kind of life insurance policy.

2. I became a dog owner (by becoming engaged to a dog owner).

I think dogs on a plane are like small children in a premium cabin/nice restaurant/the opera: it all comes down to how well behaved they are, how well their owners/parents can predict and control their behavior and how actively engaged those responsible for them are.

Our dog is probably best behaved when on a plane. No barking, no doing business where business isn't meant to be done, no chasing people or nipping at them, none of that.

I don't expect other pax to make accommodations specific to my animal or any other animal (which isn't a true service animal, such as a guide dog), nor do I believe in inconveniencing anyone by the animal's presence. For that reason, I applaud anyone who would buy a dog its own seat in order to ensure it has adequate space while not being in someone else's way. Assuming this is allowed, I would simply suggest further mitigating the potential inconvenience to others by finding a plane where there are blocks of two seats (RJ or S80, I guess), or being willing to sit in a middle seat and putting the dog on the window. Or fly up front.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:01 am

As a general rule animals are never allowed to occupy an empty seat. Assist/guide/emotional support may sit in the passengers lap if they're no larger than a lap child, otherwise they must go on the floor. Cabin pets must be in a zipped carrier under the seat at all times. Obviously from some posts on here exceptions have been made for "celebrity" animals but I've never seen one. I seriously doubt they would let anyone buy a seat for their pet to sit in, the biggest issue would be how to secure it in the seat.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Cabins are for all living things, including cats and dogs. ....
MrsDallas49er (EXP) is highly allergic to some dogs. She cannot know who or what has been around her seat. Fortunately for her, when she travels, she can take drugs that alleviate 40-60% of her symptoms.

Unfortunately, there is no pill, shot, or drug that alleviates sanctimonious, ME first, its all about ME, MY beliefway or the highway PAX, who demonstrate NO consideration (look it up) for anybody else or their viewpoint.

2 weeks ago I sat next to a high end female "Service Animal" in F, and its dog, on the way home to DFW. Dog, uncaged, jumped up on me. Even after explanation, no apology from "Muff-ette", or its service animal. I had to go to the AC and change out of my suit into my used workout clothes, before MrsDallas49er could pick me up.

Yeah, "Cabins are for all living things, including cats and dogs. "
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Yes you can buy an airplane seat, but frankly I wouldnt let my dog sit on it, as it would be in my man cave...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Business-fir...item27d5838ed0
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I sat next to a high end female "Service Animal" in F, and its dog, on the way home to DFW. Dog, uncaged, jumped up on me. Even after explanation, no apology from "Muff-ette", or its service animal.
Reminds me of Mr. Peabody and HIS boy.

More OT: I would not be happy to be in a seat just vacated by any animal (hmm, this could include some humans). I did a small search but could not find any AA policies on this matter; does AA allow animals to sit in seats? I thought support animals (whether for people really needing them - like the blind, or "emotional support") had to stay on the floor or, if small, in the lap of the pasenger. I do agree that the cargo hold is not a good place for pets, so the logical conclusion is: don't bring your pet on a flight. Well, OK, if you are moving cross-country or internationally, maybe.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JHark
That depends...are you dating her? jk..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.