Can you buy a seat for a dog?

Old Jan 16, 14, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
Can you buy a seat for a dog?

The obligatory disclaimer for the forum crazies: I searched "dog seat". On a flight from MIA to STX there was a "Service dog" in 3f. I asked the FA if the dog got a meal (joking). She said she had been on a flight when a "Hollywood actor dog" had his own seat, and got his own meal. She said the dog ate off China. I asked her if anyone could buy a seat for a dog? She said she thought so. So, can they? I ask because living in STX, I often run up against temperature limits when flying my Lab. I would be happy to buy her a seat, and boy, would she have fun!
Old Jan 16, 14, 8:45 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... comfort animal classification might get you there... many folks faking this to get their dog around just about everywhere.
Old Jan 16, 14, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
Originally Posted by austin_modern View Post
... comfort animal classification might get you there... many folks faking this to get their dog around just about everywhere.
I'm not talking about faking a "service animal", I'm talking about buying a seat at the same price as a human. Can it be done?
Old Jan 16, 14, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Some years ago AA began a policy of selling seats to "celebrity" animals. These are trained, well behaved, animals appearing in movies, television shows, and commercials. The reasoning given was both good publicity for AA as well as the revenue which is normally in a premium cabin fare. Not sure exactly what minimally qualifies an animal as a celebrity or what documentation might be required. i remember Kathy Najimy saying how glad she was her then elderly dog had a "credit" for some small on screen appearance and could sit in a paid passenger seat when they moved across the country as Najimy feared the dog could not survive the trip in the cargo hold. Naturally if an animal were transported in a paid seat, the meal going with the paid seat would be part of it. If traveling in the main cabin in north America, the celebrity animal better have a credit or debit card for buy on board...lol
Old Jan 16, 14, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pgppetch View Post
Some years ago AA began a policy of selling seats to "celebrity" animals. These are trained, well behaved, animals appearing in movies, television shows, and commercials. The reasoning given was both good publicity for AA as well as the revenue which is normally in a premium cabin fare.
What are the in flight meal options for these travelers?
Old Jan 16, 14, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JHark View Post
I ask because living in STX, I often run up against temperature limits when flying my Lab. I would be happy to buy her a seat, and boy, would she have fun!
Most dogs would probably tell you that flying is not a pleasant experience AT ALL. Even if in their own seat (which they probably could not care less).
Old Jan 16, 14, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I personally think it's unfair that small dogs are charged and count against a carryon, yet lap children are free and are a safety hazard.
Old Jan 16, 14, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JHark View Post
I'm not talking about faking a "service animal", I'm talking about buying a seat at the same price as a human. Can it be done?
Yes, you purchase two seats w/your name - and have the pet travel in one. You can not, however, purchase one seat w/cash & then have the 2nd seat as an award ticket.

The issue for in your case pet would be the size of your lab.
Old Jan 17, 14, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Platinum
I don't think you need to even buy a seat. I sat next to a dog on a UA flight AUA-IAD. I was in 1E, the woman and her dog were in 1F.
Old Jan 17, 14, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think someone bought this little roo a seat (4A) on Flt 2444 (LAX-DFW) on 3/18/10. His/her human was in 4B.
Old Jan 17, 14, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
I believe you can buy an "extra seat" (you have to put that in as the first name) and I don't see why you couldn't put your animal there.

Also, I want to hear more about the Kangaroo in seat 4A.
Old Jan 17, 14, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
I don't think you need to even buy a seat. I sat next to a dog on a UA flight AUA-IAD. I was in 1E, the woman and her dog were in 1F.
I think each airlines has different policies regarding transport of animals, both in cabin and undercarriage. The size limitation, requirement regarding containers, if an animal can be out of a container during flight, etc. A certain animal was allowed onboard in cabin on one airlines does not mean same can be done on another airlines.
Old Jan 17, 14, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Correct, you don't "have" to buy the seat, you can bring a small pet as a carryon and pay a fee and the pet shares the seat w/you. If you buy a second seat then the pet can indeed occupy the seat - and that would be necessary for a lab or other larger breeds.
Old Jan 17, 14, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Outrageous! Cabins are for people and while I recognize many people can be quite questionable in their appearance, hygiene and manners, the idea of having even dogs and cats in the cabin is appalling on so many grounds. I recognize the need for seeing eye dogs, but even find the idea of carrying a smaller pet onto a flight in a case inappropriate. And an animal eating in a cabin... Corporations may be people, but pets/animals are not people and do not belong in an airplane cabin! Who wants a drooling dog sitting nearby in an already crowded cabin? Not to mention there are many people who have allergies to dogs and cats. I'd rather have a cello sitting across the aisle than a dog or cat! As for celebrity animals, this is likely more a publicity stunt than a precedence.
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Outrageous! Cabins are for people and while I recognize many people can be quite questionable in their appearance, hygiene and manners, the idea of having even dogs and cats in the cabin is appalling on so many grounds. I recognize the need for seeing eye dogs, but even find the idea of carrying a smaller pet onto a flight in a case inappropriate. And an animal eating in a cabin... Corporations may be people, but pets/animals are not people and do not belong in an airplane cabin! Who wants a drooling dog sitting nearby in an already crowded cabin? Not to mention there are many people who have allergies to dogs and cats. I'd rather have a cello sitting across the aisle than a dog or cat! As for celebrity animals, this is likely more a publicity stunt than a precedence.
I don't own a dog, but my new goal in life is to buy the drooling dog from a movie like Turner and Hooch and sit next to Shareholder.

Search this Thread