Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award flight cancelled due to schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dazza189
I think any reasonable person can work out what neutrality generally is given to mean and then apply that definition contextually here. Inequality is certainly not in my understanding of the definition.
Well, someone who throws around that term so often in an accusatory way should readily know what the term means, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA MM Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Well, someone who throws around that term so often in an accusatory way should readily know what the term means, IMO.
I believe I have been quite consistent in telling you what I think it means. Why don't you tell me what you think it means and we'll see if we can reach some common ground?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:24 pm

A "neat trick"????
I apologize for my use of antiquated English idioms.

I use the phrase in the sense that i'm impressed with the cleverness of the position with respect to the redemption of miles - not that I think anyone is actually being tricked.

In the Oxford English Dictionary, sense 3c of "neat" is
"Of actions, etc.: involving special skill, accuracy, or precision; cleverly contrived or executed."
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:00 pm
Suspended

How is not allowing the use of AA miles on AA-marketed codeshares "clever"?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:53 pm
Suspended

It appears to me that what is coming out of this thread is that the AA BA JBV is not necessarily to the consumers' advantage. Metal neutrality is being interpreted as a revenue maximization mechanism not an elevation of consumer value. Given that these arrangements are cross national barriers is there a need for better regulation of their activities? I know it is fashionable to be concerned only with stock prices but as a frequent flyer my interest in airlines stockholders' income is not very great though it would be good to move away from all the bankruptcies which have become the hallmark of US carriers.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjlon
It appears to me that what is coming out of this thread is that the AA BA JBV is not necessarily to the consumers' advantage. Metal neutrality is being interpreted as a revenue maximization mechanism not an elevation of consumer value. Given that these arrangements are cross national barriers is there a need for better regulation of their activities? I know it is fashionable to be concerned only with stock prices but as a frequent flyer my interest in airlines stockholders' income is not very great though it would be good to move away from all the bankruptcies which have become the hallmark of US carriers.
My personal opinion, respectfully, that seems far "larger and grander" than anything that can be addressed here in this forum. Gotta work within whatever the system is, at any given time, and focus here should be how to best do so-- by knowing the rules, remedies, work-arounds and options. YMMV.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:08 am
Suspended

The joint venture does not yet cover US flights. AA said in its just filed annual report that it has been unable to reach agreement with IAG regarding those flights, with potential ramifications for the existing agreement.

There's nothing wrong with discussing these "grand" issues, assuming one is not being hypersensitive about AA's potential discomfort with such a discussion.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:13 am
Suspended

The joint venture does not yet cover US flights. AA said in its just filed annual report that it has been unable to reach agreement with IAG regarding those flights, with potential ramifications for the existing agreement.
Indeed the JBV's with BA and JL cover North Atlantic and Pacific flights respectively. I am unclear how the revenue splits on say a LHR-DFW-LAX routing as opposed to Lhr-lax direct.

If the standards of AA domestic were to fall to the European BA flights, particularly in the premium cabin, this would be very bad news for the traveler.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:16 am
Suspended

AA also has a joint venture with QF.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:18 am
Suspended

AA also has a joint venture with QF.
Yes, it is intriguing that the relationship between QF and AA is far healthier than that between BA and QF.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:22 am
Suspended

So far. But with QF's difficulties, who knows what the future holds for this agreement.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:26 am
Suspended

Well AA have been in Bankruptcy and IAG have only just returned to profit with Iberia still struggling. JL have had their own financial issues. One reason why airline stick prices are of limited interest to me as in the current highly commoditized market they are not really a good investment. Though those carriers in the Middle Eastern states with pro Aviation Governments are better placed.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Taxes, fees, etc. for PHL -> LHR (BA) -> PHL (BA) in Y:

BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $458.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.50
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) $111.60
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $66.20
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.50
Total: $695.30
Odd, that's roughly $10 cheaper than what shows up for me. I was viewing it on the US website, however.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On a paid ticket it makes no odds how the airline allocates the fare , whether it be all on fare or part fare , part surcharge

For BA , the lowest fare is $488 fare plus $458 surcharge plus taxes with total being $1187
For US, the lowest fare is $488 fare plus $458 surcharge plus taxes with total being $1187
For AA codeshared on BA, the lowest fare is $488 fare plus $458 surcharge plus taxes with total being $1187
For AA codeshared on US, the lowest fare is $946 fare plus taxes with total being $1187

Doesn't matter which of the 3 is booked, the total is the same, just the breakdown between fare and surcharge varies. Taxes are the same on all, so for a paid ticket it matters not what airline is used, the total is the same

The key issue for award bookings is that AA has agreed to collect BA surcharges on all travel booked on BA , including award tickets whilst AA ( unlike BA ) does not charge surcharges normally on award tickets

There is definitely a lack of neutrality here since for travel on AA, a BA member will be paying a lot more for an award ticket than an AA member will .

For true neutrality, perhaps AA should charge surcharges on all awards across the atlantic to be in line with BA , however it doesn't and AA members can come out very much ahead

For the OP, the airline cancelled a flight a long way in advance ( so even in the EU there would not even be any compensation due ) and rebooked on a flight which has the same award cost and gave the passenger choices and the passenger chose one that requires an overnight stay
Dave, you are correct about how the total is allocated. If a fare is $1,000 on US, $1,000 on AA, and $1,000 on BA, I could care less. BA, however, consistently charges more money for the fare and has more taxes & surcharges than the US flight. Which makes BA consistently more expensive than US on PHL-LHR. Maybe I'll be wrong, but if the US A330 PHL-LHR route is canceled, the 2 (Currently a 777 and 787) BA flights will be even more expensive than they already are. Even if BA adds another flight, so the total number of flights from Philadelphia to London is still 3 frequencies, I bet the fares will be higher. Regardless, we all know AAdvantage awards will be more expensive due to YQ.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:12 am

How is not allowing the use of AA miles on AA-marketed codeshares "clever"?
Because it goes against what I think metal neutrality means. I realize i'm not authoritative on the subject but that's my opinion. Basically it allows them to sell people revenue tickets on a particular plane but not offer award tickets on the same plane. (Of course this will be the point where you tell me that I can redeem my AA miles to get an award ticket on the plane just under a different set of rules and surcharges - i'll then point you back to my first sentence, and you'll find some other thing to focus on.)

Regardless it seems like a fairly clever distinction to me, hence my turn of phrase.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended

That policy has always existed and has nothing to do with metal neutrality, however you define that term

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.