Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award flight cancelled due to schedule change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I've read some of the forums on the topic but couldn't find an answer to my specific question so I was hoping someone can help.
I had a flight JFK-LHR on AA using miles in the AM. I recently discovered that without notification I appeared to have been rerouted due cancellation of my flight to JFK-RDU-LHR. Obviously, I do not want to fly through RDU but I really prefer a flight in the AM which after the cancellation of my flight there are only evening direct flights on AA metal. There are BA flights with award space on them that would work for me but I don't want to pay the 100s of dollars in fuel surcharges. I don't really know what my rights are and is it reasonable to expect to be rebooked on the BA flight withought being charged the fuel surcharges or should I just cancel and rebook with another airline.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by robbiesam
There are BA flights with award space on them that would work for me but I don't want to pay the 100s of dollars in fuel surcharges.
Looking at the schedule tomorrow, BA doesn't have a single coach seat for sale (Y0) and very limited business and first (scattered F1 and J1). Six flights are completely sold out. How certain are you about these available BA award seats? Seems like an odd time to have award inventory with so few paid seats left.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Was this schedule change or weather? If it's weather as I think then your options are kind of limited.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Is this flight tomorrow or in the future?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All that has happened is that AA has auto-rebooked OP. He is free to call in and request something else if he can find it. Award inventory won't matter between AA & BA on that route, but as others note, I'm not seeing Y inventory on either AA or BA.

OP is certainly free to cancel for a full refund and then rebook whatever he wants. But, I would advise having the other flights in hand as the IRROPS will affect things for a good long while.

Key here is to call AA ASAP.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, should have been clearer. Flight is for a few months from now 3/30/14. Just trying to figure out what my options are before I call especially since the wait time with the weather issues right now is over 2 hours!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OP, it would be courteous to wait a couple of days.
No way is AA going to pay BA surcharges if you want to move your award to BA.
You can get a full refund or rebook or keep the AA rebooking.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would insist they put you on the BA flight and eat the surcharge (or the half that presumably goes to BA, their JV partner). If they refuse, file a DOT complaint.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, they should definitely put you on the BA flight for free.

When my JFK-BRU award flight was cancelled, I was put on JFK-LHR on AA and LHR-BRU on BA, without being made to pay BA surcharges.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes, they should definitely put you on the BA flight for free.

When my JFK-BRU award flight was cancelled, I was put on JFK-LHR on AA and LHR-BRU on BA, without being made to pay BA surcharges.
Shouldn't the fuel surcharge for LHR-BRU should be much less than for RDU-LHR?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Sure, but the point remains that I wasn't forced to pay any fuel surcharge to be reaccommodated on BA.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by nrr
RDU-LHR is AA metal.

AA is dropping its morning flight and BA is picking up a second frequency so the JV can guarantee lie-flat seats on NYC-LON, at least until AA does some retrofits of 772 or has some spare 77W capacity. Given the emphasis on metal neutrality, pushing you over to the BA flight seems entirely reasonable.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dickinson
(1) It's a Joint Venture so I am sure they share revenues
(2) My understanding (and please someone correct me if I am wrong) that when fuel surcharges are charged and collected that AA retains that money and does not pass that on to BA. In other words BA does not charge AA any surcharge.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by dickinson
They have done it for me in the past without charging me anything extra ...

Being EXP helps of course.

For the OP, decide what you would prefer then phone up and ask, at worst they will say 'no' but I've usually found them pretty accommodating, especially if the flight they have moved you to arrives significantly later for example.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
They have done it for me in the past without charging me anything extra ...

Being EXP helps of course.

For the OP, decide what you would prefer then phone up and ask, at worst they will say 'no' but I've usually found them pretty accommodating, especially if the flight they have moved you to arrives significantly later for example.
You EXP's assume that AA peons get the same perks as you do. I hope OP posts the results of the BA award fee waiver request.
How in the world would a schedule change where the OP is offered a full refund merit a DOT complaint for failure to waive BA award fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.