Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gameover98
This is an award ticket. So does that mean I can skip a middle segment of an award ticket without risking the other segments?
I think the best you can do is request rerouting if the flights are available. AFAIK discarding / skipping a segment without arranging it formally as a reroute will automatically cancel the remaining segments on the one way award.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Quick question - are the BA award redemption "fuel surcharges" the same if you book a roundtrip or two one ways? Or do you pay more in fuel surcharges for two one way tickets?

e.g. SFO-FCO in F is approx $500 in surcharges one way... would a round trip be $1000? Thanks!!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by goldengate
Quick question - are the BA award redemption "fuel surcharges" the same if you book a roundtrip or two one ways? Or do you pay more in fuel surcharges for two one way tickets?

e.g. SFO-FCO in F is approx $500 in surcharges one way... would a round trip be $1000? Thanks!!
Yes.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:09 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Comining Record Locators

I have seen references before on FT to combining separate reservations on one record locator. I have 2 separate reservations for myself and one other person, same flights, same days, that I would like to combine onto on record locator. I have status, my partner does not, and I want to be able to reserve better seats without paying for them. Are there any "tricks" to having the reservations combined onto one record locator? Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Could anyone point me towards how to check the EQP crediting? While the EQM actually correspond to what I calculated, my EQP seem to be off by around -800. This disturbs my EXP requalification and the only trips I have planned are >10k EQM/EQP that I could spend on maintaining a backup status.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ts3
I have seen references before on FT to combining separate reservations on one record locator. I have 2 separate reservations for myself and one other person, same flights, same days, that I would like to combine onto on record locator. I have status, my partner does not, and I want to be able to reserve better seats without paying for them. Are there any "tricks" to having the reservations combined onto one record locator? Thanks!
It's not possible to combine PNRs, only split them. You can however link them so your friend can get a good seat

Last edited by HNL; Oct 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OLCI not sent to airport upgrade list

Hi, I Couldnt figure out where to ask this.

Just checked in for a 1.05 am flight tonight.
I requested upgrades on both segments and received my upgrade for my connection a few days ago.
Upon checking in it said there was an error and I was NOT put on the airport list for the first segment.
Has anyone else had this happen?

I called Aadvantage who sent me to web services that said they did not see my request at all who then sent me back to Aadvantage.
More than half the first seats are open and I understand the whole thing about people not having chosen their seats but they are taken.....
The Aadvantage agent said all seats were taken and that its just new verbage
but to see the gate agent anyway.
That I don't understand, Im either on the list or I am not. There was an error or there was not.

If I am not on the list how do they figure out where to put me on the list.
In the past I have gotten my upgrade around 8pm - so if they are upgrading people and I'm not at the airport before that I could lose that seat.

Also, I don't see an upgrade or standby list on my app. when does that usually show up?

Thanks for any pointers

Stacy
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Plato1- I have been dropped before. No one could figure out why. Hell, I had a dropped segment once.

Q for others - what is the upgrade priority for an AA EXP on US airways at the gate?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Quick upgrade questions please. Doing a return flight to HRE on Friday. First leg is AA flight 50 DFW-LHR, on a BA ticket. I would like to upgrade to business with miles and cash. I was able to upgrade the LHR-DFW AA51 with a BA ticket on the way over last month by going to the LHR Admirals club. They were able to use my AA miles and $250 without a problem.

1. Is there an upgrade list to be on as an EXPLAT whilst on a BA ticket?
2. If not, should I ask to do this at the AA counter first before checking in at the BA counter Friday? Or go to the Admirals club after checking in at BA?

THANK YOU!!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:29 pm

airport upgrade & miles on BA flight

Airport upgrade on JFK to ORY, AA ticket operated by BA. (Open skies)
BA rebook me in J and IF a BA ticket / BA FF I'll have J miles.
Registered for the AA promotion with 30 k bonus in J and 15k bonus in Y+.
Got only 7.5k (half of the Y+ RT as originally booked)
In my opinion I should half of the J miles since BA did rebook me in J.
Am I wrong ?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:33 pm

Bos to Chi. Last minute booking. No seats in economy. What are the chances a seat opens up day of flight? If I book economy but a seat doesn't open up, can I upgrade using aa points at the gate? It's only 12.5k more miles for first, but I'm cheap and short, so an economy is like a first class seat.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnugnotsle
Bos to Chi. Last minute booking. No seats in economy. What are the chances a seat opens up day of flight? If I book economy but a seat doesn't open up, can I upgrade using aa points at the gate? It's only 12.5k more miles for first, but I'm cheap and short, so an economy is like a first class seat.
There are seats that are blocked for elite and full fare passengers. These will open up for assignment to other passengers on the day of departure.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Airport upgrade on JFK to ORY, AA ticket operated by BA. (Open skies)
BA rebook me in J and IF a BA ticket / BA FF I'll have J miles.
Registered for the AA promotion with 30 k bonus in J and 15k bonus in Y+.
Got only 7.5k (half of the Y+ RT as originally booked)
In my opinion I should half of the J miles since BA did rebook me in J.
Am I wrong ?
It's not clear how you upgraded. Was this an op-up? Or a paid upgrade at the counter, kiosk, gate, etc.?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dfwrob
Quick upgrade questions please. Doing a return flight to HRE on Friday. First leg is AA flight 50 DFW-LHR, on a BA ticket. I would like to upgrade to business with miles and cash. I was able to upgrade the LHR-DFW AA51 with a BA ticket on the way over last month by going to the LHR Admirals club. They were able to use my AA miles and $250 without a problem.

1. Is there an upgrade list to be on as an EXPLAT whilst on a BA ticket?
2. If not, should I ask to do this at the AA counter first before checking in at the BA counter Friday? Or go to the Admirals club after checking in at BA?

THANK YOU!!
Both F & J are zero'd out on AA 50 this Friday.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Hi,

I would welcome any advice on this. I am Plat and based in UK.

I need a one-way ORD-LHR ticket and my daughter offered to use her miles she is unlikely to use or add to. So so she booked me a 20k economy ticket online.

5 days later it's still showing as 'pending' so I ring up and ask if there's a problem. No, they just need her to ring in to answer a query on her credit card details. (Why didn't AA contact her?) She rings in a simply confirms the details given online - no query.

A few days later I check and it is ticketed - but the miles have come out of my account.

What follows is the a ridiculous hour of phone calls from me and my daughter simply trying to get the miles out of the correct account. Its a brick wall of mind-numbing incompetence and contradictory advice. At one point my daughter is even told she cannot book this ticket because she does not have a US credit card!

Eventually after 8 calls the miles are re-credited to my account, and you guessed it - they have not been deducted from my daughter's. Though she has now been charged a telephone booking fee!

So a week later I've calmed down and am thinking I need to start the calls again to get the miles deducted properly. But should I?

Can I just wait until AA's admin catches up? Will they catch up? If I don't call will the ticket still be there the day I fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.