Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Post SWU issue frequency

Howdy. I qualified EXP about Aug 2014 and was issued my complementary 8 SWUs, and I understand that by qualifying EXP I am qualifying for next year. Will I be issued SWUs next year when the clock restarts, or not again until I requalify? Thx
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Dan_E
Howdy. I qualified EXP about Aug 2014 and was issued my complementary 8 SWUs, and I understand that by qualifying EXP I am qualifying for next year. Will I be issued SWUs next year when the clock restarts, or not again until I requalify? Thx
You're now EXP till Feb 2016, this is when your SWU's expire as well. You won't receive more SWU's till you re-qualify again in 2015.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
Same Day Flight Change

The AA FAQs mention that Same Day Flight Change is only available on domestic routes. Yet when I look at booking an international trip in Y to Latin American on AA.com the following prompt comes up suggesting I select Business class, because with that I get:

"Confirmed Seat in Business Class, 3 Checked Bags, PriorityAAcess , 25% AAdvantage Bonus Miles, Same-Day Flight Change (subject to flight availability), Same-Day Stand By (domestic travel only), Additional In-flight amenities"

Is or isn't Same Day Flight Change available on international flights?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
The AA FAQs mention that Same Day Flight Change is only available on domestic routes. Yet when I look at booking an international trip in Y to Latin American on AA.com the following prompt comes up suggesting I select Business class, because with that I get:

"Confirmed Seat in Business Class, 3 Checked Bags, PriorityAAcess , 25% AAdvantage Bonus Miles, Same-Day Flight Change (subject to flight availability), Same-Day Stand By (domestic travel only), Additional In-flight amenities"

Is or isn't Same Day Flight Change available on international flights?
Depends where in Latin America. I believe it's for North-America flights, so Canada, the Caribbean and Central America are also included. (I myself have done it on Caribbean flights)
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:19 pm

Newbie AAward Booking Question

I've got 100k points and am trying to get 2 rt award tickets from ORD->LIH for next July.

My problem is there's no outbound ORD->LIH availability on any of my travel dates. But, I've found a saver routing that will get me there: ORD->SEA (via SLC), and then SEA->LIH (direct). I don't know why this routing is not showing up (since return routings with the same number of stops are appearing). When I try to do a multi-city award booking, they want an extra 25k miles for the ORD-SEA segment. How does this work?

Also, should I hold out for better routings, or should I snap up any award availability to Hawaii I can find?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jackk
My problem is there's no outbound ORD->LIH availability on any of my travel dates. But, I've found a saver routing that will get me there: ORD->SEA (via SLC), and then SEA->LIH (direct). I don't know why this routing is not showing up (since return routings with the same number of stops are appearing). When I try to do a multi-city award booking, they want an extra 25k miles for the ORD-SEA segment. How does this work?
What is the layover time between the arrival in SEA and your departure to LIH? Also, presumbley SEA-LIH is on Alaska air?

Originally Posted by jackk
Also, should I hold out for better routings, or should I snap up any award availability to Hawaii I can find?
I would not count on add'l awards being opened up for such a popular destination. There are lots more flight options to/from HNL - so you might try using miles to get to HNL - and then opt to pay for HNL-LIH on an island carrier.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
I am interested in flying between the US and NRT on AA metal. I want to credit my flight to my US DM account. However, I do have some AA miles in my AA account. Can I book the AA flights on the AA web site, credit the EQMs to my US DM account and still use AA miles to upgrade from coach to business class (if mileage upgrades become available)?

P.S. I am actually looking at flying beyond NRT on an AA codeshare. I am assuming (despite my 1W Emerald status) that I cannot upgrade the codeshare legs with either AA or US miles. Correct?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I am interested in flying between the US and NRT on AA metal. I want to credit my flight to my US DM account. However, I do have some AA miles in my AA account. Can I book the AA flights on the AA web site, credit the EQMs to my US DM account and still use AA miles to upgrade from coach to business class (if mileage upgrades become available)?

P.S. I am actually looking at flying beyond NRT on an AA codeshare. I am assuming (despite my 1W Emerald status) that I cannot upgrade the codeshare legs with either AA or US miles. Correct?
Sure, it's not a problem. Call in with your AA account, and just give the PNR that you want to upgrade. It doesn't matter who the PNR belongs to or what status that person has or what program that person is crediting to.

Using AA miles, you can only upgrade on codeshares on BA and IB, and they have to be purchased as full fare.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:04 pm

Hello,
This is my first post. My wife and I have been Citi AAdvantage card holders for the past 15 years and have a good deal of miles saved up. We are having a difficult time finding flights for our family of 5 to go from NY LaGuardia, or Bradely in Hartford to LAX and then Back home via Vegas or Colorado. We can be flexible on airports in Colorado. Is there any trick to making this happen? My wife has been trying for a couple of weeks and our flight plans are for next summer. We tried this last year and we could not make it work. Any advice?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'd recommend using the FAQ thread, with links to outside resources as well as threads on MileSAAver awards, as well as others.

The likelihood of getting five MileSAAver award seats on the same flights is IMO, minimal. To succeed you'll probably have to split people up. If you are a couple and children, for example, two on one itinerary and three on another, etc. if you have sufficient miles, look at two plus two in 'SAAvers and one on AAnytime award.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by clydesdale
Hello,
This is my first post. My wife and I have been Citi AAdvantage card holders for the past 15 years and have a good deal of miles saved up. We are having a difficult time finding flights for our family of 5 to go from NY LaGuardia, or Bradely in Hartford to LAX and then Back home via Vegas or Colorado. We can be flexible on airports in Colorado. Is there any trick to making this happen? My wife has been trying for a couple of weeks and our flight plans are for next summer. We tried this last year and we could not make it work. Any advice?
Are you able to be somewhat flexible on dates? This will help you much more than flexibility on airports.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
Are you able to be somewhat flexible on dates? This will help you much more than flexibility on airports.
Ah, the "f" (flexibility) word! Yes, that is the key to finding SAAver wards to get that many people about. But it is possible, if one thinks of several flights a day originating at BDL to DFW, ORD, etc. and connecting on to LAX, SNA, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:22 am

I can be flexible on dates. But, it seems that my wife can book a couple of us, but not the 5 of us. We want to travel together. She is trying the method of putting the hold on 2 of them and then trying to see if the other seats open up. Maybe they only let smaller numbers at the same time.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
What to do when award flight is cancelled?

I have booked F and J awards on EY with my AA miles. I have never had any issues with my award flights being cancelled or late but was wondering what to do in this situation.

What happens when the flight is delayed or cancelled? Does AA or EY have the responsibility to rebook you in the next flight? In the same class as originally booked?

This is something I have never had happen to me but better to be prepared. Whenever my flights are delayed or cancelled on revenue tickets, I had no issues rebooking them in the same fare class.

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:23 pm

Do you guys recommend Expertflyer for the situation where I am trying to find flights for my family of five? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.