Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
2 questions on my flight ORD-LAX on Oce 12th

I booked an AB mileage ticket TXL-ORD in J which arrives 12:10 in ORD. I booked on a separate paid ticket AA 1060 ORD-LAX which departs 2:30PM. I booked this in booking class P which allows for same-day flexibility. Does this mean that I can easily switch to a later machine if my incoming flight is delayed?
Should I check in with AA before I depart TXL which probably allows me to check my luggage to LAX. I know that I have to carry it through customs in ORD.
Also: Do I have access to the Admiral's Lounge in ORD as an AB Platinum (=OW Emerald)? I know I have access when I have everything on one ticket, bot sure about two tickets.

Regards
Stepfel
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Originally Posted by anaggie
Got used to flying DFW-MAD-DFW direct in 2014 and from 2015 onwards, the MAD-DFW direct flight is 2x the cost of the MAD-JFK-DFW or the MAD-MIA-DFW. New AA pricing :roll eyes:

Anyway, MAD-JFK shows up as a 757 with a 2-2 config in J. Are these the "old" style seats? Or are they the angled lie flat?

Angled lie-flat.
And unlike the 767, they have PTV's, also they have AC power, whereas the 767/777 only has DC power.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I booked a flight from LAX - FRA on AA.com but it is operated by US Airways. Am I able to upgrade with AA miles (25,000 miles and $350) on this flight even though it is operated by US Airways? Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by stepfel
2 questions on my flight ORD-LAX on Oce 12th

I booked an AB mileage ticket TXL-ORD in J which arrives 12:10 in ORD. I booked on a separate paid ticket AA 1060 ORD-LAX which departs 2:30PM. I booked this in booking class P which allows for same-day flexibility. Does this mean that I can easily switch to a later machine if my incoming flight is delayed?
Should I check in with AA before I depart TXL which probably allows me to check my luggage to LAX. I know that I have to carry it through customs in ORD.
Also: Do I have access to the Admiral's Lounge in ORD as an AB Platinum (=OW Emerald)? I know I have access when I have everything on one ticket, bot sure about two tickets.
If your TXL-ORD flight is delayed, AA will re-book you on a later ORD-LAX flight.

The AB agents at TXL should be able to check your luggage all the way to LAX, just show them a printout of your ORD-LAX itinerary. It doesn't matter if you're checked in or not on AA for this to happen...but if you have the ability to check-in on AA before you leave, this can't hurt, as you can then bypass the check-in lines at ORD.

And separate tickets don't matter, as a OW Emerald you can not only access both Admirals Clubs at ORD, but also the Flagship Lounge (AA First Class lounge). You can access any AC or FL in the states on any further AA flights you may have as well.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bchin2020
I booked a flight from LAX - FRA on AA.com but it is operated by US Airways. Am I able to upgrade with AA miles (25,000 miles and $350) on this flight even though it is operated by US Airways? Thanks!
Not yet, there are only limited upgrade options between the two programs - and Europe isn't among the eligible itineraries
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Not yet, there are only limited upgrade options between the two programs - and Europe isn't among the eligible itineraries
Thanks for the response! I've rebooked the first segment so all segments are now AA and used 50k miles and $750 to upgrade. If I booked with cash and then upgraded with miles, do I still get elite qualifying miles for the coach fare that I booked with cash or do I end up with 0 EQM for this trip?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by bchin2020
Thanks for the response! I've rebooked the first segment so all segments are now AA and used 50k miles and $750 to upgrade. If I booked with cash and then upgraded with miles, do I still get elite qualifying miles for the coach fare that I booked with cash or do I end up with 0 EQM for this trip?
You should get both EQM and RDM for the paid coach fare.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 pm

upgrading jfk-lax

Hi, I'm flying JFK-LAX next week. I haven't booked my tickets yet. Is this a flight I can reasonably upgrade with stickers? Or is it impossible (either as a practical matter, or some policy not to permit upgrades like DL had)?

I will probably not be able to book a Y/B ticket, and I think I don't want to pay a co pay, so I'd like to upgrade with stickers or, probably, not at all. However, if I do decide to pay a co pay and upgrade with miles , do sticker and miles /copay upgrades book into the same fare class? (If so which?)

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
Hi, I'm flying JFK-LAX next week. I haven't booked my tickets yet. Is this a flight I can reasonably upgrade with stickers? Or is it impossible (either as a practical matter, or some policy not to permit upgrades like DL had)?

I will probably not be able to book a Y/B ticket, and I think I don't want to pay a co pay, so I'd like to upgrade with stickers or, probably, not at all. However, if I do decide to pay a co pay and upgrade with miles , do sticker and miles /copay upgrades book into the same fare class? (If so which?)

Thanks!
Yes, you can upgrade with stickers, there are no restrictions like on DL. However, these flights tend to be difficult to upgrade on using stickers as they tend to be quite elite heavy.

Sticker upgrades are R inventory, miles+copay comes out of C inventory. (X and A on 2 class domestic flights, respectively)

If you can confirm C right away, this would be your sure bet to get the upgrade.

Your profile doesn't mention having elite status with AA, maybe you do, but haven't updated, but remember that those without status can only upgrade Y/B fares with stickers.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hey guys, i'll be flying IB J CCS-MAD and IB Y MAD-CCS this Sunday. It's been a while since i credited my IB miles to AA.

Does anyone have a miles calculator tool? any specific link that may come handy for this type consult. Also, i can credit to BA Avios or AA, which one would be better in this case?

I have Years without crediting any IB flights to AA.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by mvtm
Hey guys, i'll be flying IB J CCS-MAD and IB Y MAD-CCS this Sunday. It's been a while since i credited my IB miles to AA.

Does anyone have a miles calculator tool? any specific link that may come handy for this type consult. Also, i can credit to BA Avios or AA, which one would be better in this case?

I have Years without crediting any IB flights to AA.
I have calculated it and it's supposedly 10,890 Avios can someone please confirm?

Also, when redeeming CCS-MIA on Avios i see it's 10,000 + $0 + taxes+ fees. Does anyone know aprox how much would be the taxes and fees for this route when redeeming? I want to know if it's better i credit to AA or credit to Avios.

I would redeem CCS-MIA flights. RT in Avios is 20K, on AA 30K. I just want to know if it's any differentiation between paying these taxes with AA miles, or using Avios i could be charged more in taxes for this route?

I figured out how much Avios should i have for this route, but how about crediting this flight to AA?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Anyone else get the email that my Advantage card will no longer be a photocard? I like my pictures and signature on the front of the card. It requires retailers to look at my picture.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: MR:LIFE-PLAT, AA ExecPLAT, AmEx GldPrmr+PLAT
My battle with deep discount fares

After trying unsuccessfully to find an answer that satisfied me, I figured I would ask here....

My travel habits have changed at work and I've found myself in-between Gold and Platinum, after enjoying a few years of Exec Plat. I am definitely flying less, and more importantly, I'm doing so on the 'deeper discounted' fares which only give partial EQP. My travel is more planned, therefore the deep discount fares are what I am being booked in by our travel concierge. I'm booking solid itinerary's -- a few weeks in advance.

I'm wondering what are some ways to maximize my EQM and EQP on these types of trips. I look forward to the ideas/advice/experiences....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by flysfromPIT
I'm wondering what are some ways to maximize my EQM ...
Always fly AA or US - you will always get 100% EQM
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by flysfromPIT
After trying unsuccessfully to find an answer that satisfied me, I figured I would ask here....

My travel habits have changed at work and I've found myself in-between Gold and Platinum, after enjoying a few years of Exec Plat. I am definitely flying less, and more importantly, I'm doing so on the 'deeper discounted' fares which only give partial EQP. My travel is more planned, therefore the deep discount fares are what I am being booked in by our travel concierge. I'm booking solid itinerary's -- a few weeks in advance.

I'm wondering what are some ways to maximize my EQM and EQP on these types of trips. I look forward to the ideas/advice/experiences....
For now, as pandaperth says, fly AA and AA code shares, and for now US.

I'm afraid there's no guarantee this will work for the upcoming, merged AAdvantage program, as common wisdom implies it will be a more revenue-based program (perhaps minimum spend requirements as well as EQM minima, though they could merely use EQP, or other methods).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.