Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FMX
Thanks, but no, I don't have such a credit card. I had a look at their shopping and charity options, but all those say "wait for up to 6-8 weeks for miles to post" - and I don't have that long.
Just get an AA credit card. Citi is giving out miles by the hundreds of thousands, so why not take advantage?
Old May 8, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Trying to understand FF rules for American. I received my statement yesterday from American and it included the following information

Elite Status Qualification:
14,057 Points
(10,943 until Gold)

16,403 Miles
(8,597 until Gold)

6 Segments
(24 until Gold)

I have a trip booked this September in WT+ through BA but I've included my AAdvantage number on the reservation. The flight is on BA metal on the way over and AA metal on the way back. Will this trip apply towards getting to Gold for me? Or do I have to book through American for it to apply?

I appreciate your help!
Old May 8, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FMX
Thanks, but no, I don't have such a credit card. I had a look at their shopping and charity options, but all those say "wait for up to 6-8 weeks for miles to post" - and I don't have that long.
When is the latest you can depart? How long do you plan to stay away? Have you verified that award seats are currently available for your intended dates of travel?

If you sign up for an AA credit card, your "bonus" miles likely will not post in time for you, but miles for what you actually charge to the card should post within a few days of your statement-closing date.

Have you already established an AAdvantage frequent-flyer account at aa.com? My understanding is that one's account has to have been open for at least several days (one week?) in order to take advantage of the bonus for purchasing miles. Once you open the AAdvantage account, you can apply for a credit card; if you are instantly approved, you would typically receive your card within seven days, and could then charge the purchase of the miles to it.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IDtoTX
Trying to understand FF rules for American. I received my statement yesterday from American and it included the following information

14,057 Points
(10,943 until Gold)

16,403 Miles
(8,597 until Gold)

6 Segments
(24 until Gold)

I have a trip booked this September in WT+ through BA but I've included my AAdvantage number on the reservation. The flight is on BA metal on the way over and AA metal on the way back. Will this trip apply towards getting to Gold for me? Or do I have to book through American for it to apply?

I appreciate your help!
As long as you have your AA # in there (which you've done), you'll get AA miles and points that will apply towards your Gold status, assuming you're booked in a qualifying fare on BA...
Old May 8, 2014, 11:35 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

14,057 Points
(10,943 until Gold)

16,403 Miles
(8,597 until Gold)

6 Segments
(24 until Gold)

I appreciate your help!
As long as you have your AA number within the reservation, you'll be fine.

Regardless of whether it's BA or AA metal, you'll earn miles based on the marketed flight number.

If it's an AA flight number, you'll earn according to this table: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/american.jsp
If it's a BA flight number, you'll earn according to this table: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/british.jsp
Old May 8, 2014, 11:47 am

Thanks JJeffrey and JY1024 - I just checked my selling class and somehow i booked T on BA on the way over and N on the way back...so it will even out to about 1 point per mile I guess but it looks like I should get a 10% mileage bonus at least on the flight out. Now i need to research to see if that will be enough to get me to gold!

Appreciate the help!
Old May 8, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
tried searching for this but must have not used the right keywords but... looking to book 2 tickets - though from 2 AA accounts (wife's and mine) - can I do that with 1 call or does my wife need to call in as well? Can they link the bookings if I cannot get them on the same one?
Old May 8, 2014, 12:00 pm

Thanks JJeffrey and JY1024 - I just checked my selling class and somehow i booked T on BA on the way over and N on the way back...so it will even out to about 1 point per mile I guess but it looks like I should get a 10% mileage bonus at least on the flight out. Now i need to research to see if that will be enough to get me to gold!

Appreciate the help!
Keep in mind that the 10% Bonus are RDM only amd not EQM.

But it looks like you'll be qualifying on EQP and not EQM, so it shouldn't matter.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:03 pm

So Djokison, I'm not sure that I understand the difference between RDM, EQM and EQP. Do I only need to qualify on one of those to get to gold?
Old May 8, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

So Djokison, I'm not sure that I understand the difference between RDM, EQM and EQP. Do I only need to qualify on one of those to get to gold?
They are three different paths to elite status. You only have to cross the finish line on one path to achieve Gold.
Old May 8, 2014, 3:18 pm
FMX

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Buy Starpoints and transfer to AA? Generally not a good value proposition, but might be worth it to top off for a specific award.
Interesting idea, thank you! I'm not a SPG member yet, but will join so I can do this in the future. It's probably too late for this time, since I have to wait 14 days to buy Startpoints and then another 7-10 days for the transfer to AA.

But I noticed something else: the buy AA miles page has a limit of 80K for "buy miles and gift miles", but the share AA miles page has a limit of 100K for "receiving miles". Does this mean I could buy 98K miles (with the current promo) and someone else could still share another 2K miles with me?
Old May 8, 2014, 4:45 pm

RDM is Redeemable miles. These are the miles you can use for awards and are not related to earning status.

The 3 that are: EQM (Elite Qualifying Miles), EQP (Elite Qualifying Points) and Segments.

To get gold status, you would need to get either 25.000 EQM, 25.000 EQP or 30 segments.

In your case, you closer to it with points (indicating you've been flying in premium cabins or full fare Y.)
Old May 9, 2014, 1:32 am
FMX

Originally Posted by FMX
Interesting idea, thank you! I'm not a SPG member yet, but will join so I can do this in the future. It's probably too late for this time, since I have to wait 14 days to buy Startpoints and then another 7-10 days for the transfer to AA.

But I noticed something else: the buy AA miles page has a limit of 80K for "buy miles and gift miles", but the share AA miles page has a limit of 100K for "receiving miles". Does this mean I could buy 98K miles (with the current promo) and someone else could still share another 2K miles with me?
Wait a minute - I'm an idiot! I can simply buy 60K miles to get an 18K bonus and then another 19K to get a 3K bonus for a total of 100K! (Or, equivalently, 45K + 34K for bonuses of 13.5K + 7.5K).
Old May 9, 2014, 1:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is First class the same on all AA's 777s?
Old May 9, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by danger
Is First class the same on all AA's 777s?
The 772s and 77Ws have a slightly different First suite. The 77Ws suite is basically an updated version of the 772 suite, but they're fairly similar. (Entertainment is far superior on the 77W)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.