FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Clarification on AAdvantage 20 Partners... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/146951-clarification-aadvantage-20-partners.html)

SJSharky May 16, 2001 2:48 pm

Originally posted by milesforlife:
Ryan:

I stayed at Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas, Austrailia (my favorite Shearton!) in October, and this is how the direct miles posted to my account:

10/31/2000 STARWOOD HOTELS S/MIRAGE PORT DOUGL

So, I don't know what that would count as "Starwood" or "S/Mirage" = Sheraton Mirage. If it's "Starwood", then probably all direct deposits will count as 1 partner, but who can tell for sure?

milesforlife--

Thanks for the reply. That's good info. I called the SPG Platinum desk on the small chance they might have some info, but the lady who assisted me didn't know what I was talking about.

Hopefully, they will let us know whether or not this makes a difference. Although I have SPG PLT status locked up for next year, I need the nights credited for the Free Weekends promo.

Regards,
Ryan

SJSharky May 16, 2001 2:50 pm

Originally posted by milesforlife:
Ryan:

I stayed at Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas, Austrailia (my favorite Shearton!) in October, and this is how the direct miles posted to my account:

10/31/2000 STARWOOD HOTELS S/MIRAGE PORT DOUGL

So, I don't know what that would count as "Starwood" or "S/Mirage" = Sheraton Mirage. If it's "Starwood", then probably all direct deposits will count as 1 partner, but who can tell for sure?

milesforlife--

Thanks for the reply. That's good info. I called the SPG Platinum desk on the small chance they might have some info, but the lady who assisted me didn't know what I was talking about.

Hopefully, they will let us know whether or not this makes a difference. Although I have SPG PLT status locked up for next year, I need the nights credited for the Free Weekends promo.

Regards,
Ryan

dgordon May 17, 2001 6:20 am

I got 5 points posted for my $5.00 gift certificate for Eddie Bauer and it is listed as Eddie Bauer - so miles ARE given for gift certificates, to answer someone's question. Eddie Bauer (the co.) called me to verify that I only wanted a $5.00 gift certificate.
DebBrown - I would be careful with the Marriott idea in that 10,000 miles converts to only 2000 AA miles. So beyond the 5000 free with a credit card - sending 5000 clickrewards (which would be 5000 AA miles) over to Marriot than converts to only 2000 AA miles. I don't think giving up 3000 AA miles is worth getting Marriot as a partner when it seems there are "cheaper" ways to do it.

------------------
DtG

[This message has been edited by dgordon (edited 05-17-2001).]

JIMBOLIGUY May 17, 2001 6:49 am

I got 5 points posted for my $5.00 gift certificate for Eddie Bauer and it is listed as Eddie Bauer - so miles ARE given for gift certificates, to answer someone's question. Eddie Bauer (the co.) called me to verify that I only wanted a $5.00 gift certificate.
Dgordon -- when you ordered, did you click through the AOL site and end up at the Eddie Bauer site? or did you purchase it some other way?

Thanks.

--Jim

dgordon May 17, 2001 7:09 am

I bought it through the AOL web site.

------------------
DtG

fscher May 17, 2001 7:56 am

I CALLED AA cust. service just now! Spoke with a nice girl named Michele. Asked if 3 magazines listed would count as 3. Went to ask supervisor and she said EVERYTHING under the AOL/AADVANTAGE site counts as ONE -TOTAL OF ONE. I explained that was not true and that five stores = five credits. She said "no, this is from the executive offices" blah blah blah.......I asked for a phone number for Mr. Chemel and she gave me a fax #. I think we all need to send a fax today to get this cleared up. the poster with the name AADVANTAGE says she works for Amerian Airlines, but we are still getting conflicting information. I want something FROM AMERICAN AIRLINES (not a post that anyone can write) saying a simple YES OR NO to SPECIFIC questions. Aside from the magazine issue, The question about two charities posting under two names was touched on, but I would like it more clear. If the executive office gets a zillion faxes, maybe they will understand that we still need help and THEIR offices are giving conflicting information. I was hoping that when I called AA, they could answer my question and leaving me confident that they knew what they were doing.......When I got information that was EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what we learned about the stores, I realize we have no place to turn. How will we know if we "REALLY" qualify for the bonus before it is too late?

If you want to join me in letting them know this is still confusing, fax 817 967 4162.
She said there was not an executive number that I could call.

dgordon May 17, 2001 8:13 am

It's a good idea. Something in writing from the executive offices in answer to these specific questions would be very helpful. We all know that we have gotten misinformation from reps that don't know what they are talking about. The stores accessed through AOLAAdvantage can often be accessed some other way and when it appears how do they know. 1-800-flowers is a good example.

------------------
DtG

bollar May 17, 2001 8:23 am

FWIW, the poster AAdvantage definitely does work for AA and is definitely in a position to definitively tell you what will and will not work.

The communication to the rest of the company seems to indicate exactly how complex the promotion is.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

dgordon May 17, 2001 8:49 am

I have just faxed a letter to the executive offices. I would feel reassured with specific answers to my questions. Given that the bonus miles will be posted 6- 8 weeks after achieving the 20 partner rather than at the end of the promotion, gives us time - so those who get the miles posted to their accounts really soon should let us know.

------------------
DtG

kwick May 17, 2001 8:52 am

re. whether points.com is a partner, there is now a link on aa.com (go to aadvantage/today's news) with information on and a link to the points.com program. This leads me to assume that they will count as a partner.

Of course I'm learning not to assume anything about this promotion; I'm still going to try and get as far beyond 20 partners as I can.

nologic May 17, 2001 9:05 am

I know this is just guesswork, but do you/we really think/expect that more than 20,000 people will qualify for this promotion.

As we are learning, this is not an easy, informal promo to qualify for...it's taken a lot of collective sleuthing and figuring out for this board/group alone...aside from the few of us (could it be as many as 100-200?) that are reading/participating on these boards and following through on this promo...how many others out there could there be?

nologic May 17, 2001 9:14 am

AAdvantage,

Thank you for participating here and helping to clarify the promo. A few additional clarificatiins would be helpful:

1. I received a 500 AAdvantage Mileage Voucher from Murrays Wine & Spirits for purchasing a case of wine (he participates in the AIM program). Will these miles count as a partner when posted?

2. Do the different 5 Time Inc. magazines each count, or is Time a single partner?

Thanks.

DebBrown May 17, 2001 9:31 am

Originally posted by dgordon:
[BDebBrown - I would be careful with the Marriott idea in that 10,000 miles converts to only 2000 AA miles. So beyond the 5000 free with a credit card - sending 5000 clickrewards (which would be 5000 AA miles) over to Marriot than converts to only 2000 AA miles. I don't think giving up 3000 AA miles is worth getting Marriot as a partner when it seems there are "cheaper" ways to do it.
[/B]
Actually the clickrewards transfer 1:1.5 with Marriott. I'm using *some* clickrewards plus the 5000 credit card bonus plus credit card charges at a Marriott where you get 3pts/$ to reach the 10,000 transfer. I will probably break even on the points but add a partner.

Deb

clacko May 17, 2001 11:58 am

there is some info on aa.com under aadvantage ,it is still not clear on the $200 nat'l parks promotion. implies that making gift at any time is good for whole period. if so, i would consider it, but not if it starts after the gift. my sked calls for 36k in period [ 18k already flown] . 9k mi [2k for gift & 7k for 20%] might be ok for me.

clacko May 17, 2001 12:08 pm

dupe

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 05-17-2001).]