FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Clarification on AAdvantage 20 Partners... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/146951-clarification-aadvantage-20-partners.html)

nologic May 15, 2001 12:28 pm

I went to carparts.com from within AOL AAdvantage, but it never asked for my AAdvantage number at checkout??? I hope I receive the miles (2:1)???

Also, here are two potentially valuable coupon codes for discounts at carparts.com:

* $30 off $100 purchase - new customers (not valid on tire purchases): 260101 or 2634328

* 15% off any purchase - new customers (not valid on tire purchases) 1964005

I found a nifty cigarette lighter battery jump starter...instead of conventional jumper cables...this small gizmo works cigarette lighter-cigarette lighter with an easy 18 foot connecting cable for only $25, less my 15% coupon, plus $8 shipping & handling, for $29.66, plus 60 AAdvantage miles...

Seems like a handy item.

nologic May 15, 2001 12:36 pm

The Time offer is one of the biggest no-brainers here, free trial for a year for:

Try 12 issues of TIME magazine FREE!
You can try 12 issues of Time magazine - FREE - and earn 250 miles! From politics to pop culture, business to international affairs, every issue of TIME Magazine brings you closer to the topics that matter.

[]
Earn 250 miles from MONEY Magazine!
You can try 3 issues of Money magazine - FREE - and earn 250 miles! MONEY magazine is filled with articles on the issues most important to people today: from saving for a college education to information on mutual funds and 401K investing!

[]
Earn 250 miles from REAL SIMPLE Magazine!
You can try 3 issues of Real Simple magazine FREE - the new magazine from the publishers if InStyle - and earn 250 miles! REAL SIMPLE gives you practical, modern solutions for simplifying every aspect of your busy life: home, health, food, money, clothes, and family.

[]
Earn 250 miles from ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY Magazine!
You can try 12 issues of Entertainment Weekly magazine - FREE - and earn 250 miles! ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY gives you up-to-date information about the stars, movies and shows you love.

[]
Earn 250 miles from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED Magazine!
You can try 12 issues of Sports Illustrated magazine - FREE - and earn 250 miles! SPORTS ILLUSTRATED provides insight into your favorite sporting personalities and events through its award winning reporting and photography.

[]
Earn 250 miles from PEOPLE Magazine!
You can try 12 issues of People - FREE - and earn 250 miles! People Magazine brings you behind the scenes for a candid, close-up look at the lives of today's most fascinating celebrities.

[]

BJJ May 15, 2001 12:50 pm

What's the deal with VehiclesOnline.com? I see there is a 400 point offer, and a 500 point offer. I tried for the 400 point offer, because the 500 looked like it was restricted to a certain group (AOL users???). If I can manage to get these miles, would that count as a partner??? Anyway, I tried every make and model car I could think of, and only got the following message:
At this time we do not have a CHEVROLET dealer in the VehiclesOnline.com database. Please check back as we are constantly adding dealers. You may also click here to select another make.
Suggestions???????

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 12:51 pm

The majority are listed on aa.com - the AAdvantage Incentive parnter list is too
long and changes too frenquently to be on the site - these include various charities who may offer miles for donations, local
dry cleaners, etc.

Originally posted by fscher:

where can we get this list?
it sure would be of help!
Thanks.

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 1:04 pm

IF aa.com is offering AAdvantage miles as
an incentive to book on-line then yes,
aa.com will be one of your partners.

Clickrewards should be added back to the
list - they are still a partner and will
count as one of your 20.

Yes - charities that are awarding miles for
donations will count towards your 20.

Originally posted by MileKing:
Does AA.com (i.e., the on-line booking bonus) count as a separate partner than a flight on AA?

Do ClickRewards transfers to my AAdvantage account count as a partner? (They were originally on the list but were removed.)
They should be back on the list...

Do separate mileage certificates from different charitable organizations (i.e. for donations) count as separate partners or just one?

Thanks much, AAdvantage, for helping us with these questions!

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 1:08 pm

Yes Sofitel is a partner - and will
count towards the promotion.

Originally posted by billhallNY:
Is Sofitel a partner? They were added to the partner list around 5/1 or just before but I can't find any reference on their web site for AA.

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 1:11 pm

Thought I replied to this - so if this is
a duplicate answer - disregard!

AA.com will count if at the time you complete
your booking they are offering AAdvantage miles.

Clickrewards.com is a partner and should be back on aa.com

If a charity gives you miles for a donation
then yes they will count as a partner.

Originally posted by MileKing:
Does AA.com (i.e., the on-line booking bonus) count as a separate partner than a flight on AA?

Do ClickRewards transfers to my AAdvantage account count as a partner? (They were originally on the list but were removed.)

Do separate mileage certificates from different charitable organizations (i.e. for donations) count as separate partners or just one?

Thanks much, AAdvantage, for helping us with these questions!

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 1:18 pm

Yes this is a new partner and will count
as a parnter

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 1:23 pm

Originally posted by billhallNY:
Is Sofitel a partner? They were added to the partner list around 5/1 or just before but I can't find any reference on their web site for AA.

Eugene May 15, 2001 1:36 pm

Originally posted by nologic:
The Time offer is one of the biggest no-brainers here, free trial for a year for:
Try 12 issues of TIME magazine FREE!

FWIW, this free trial is not for a year, but rather for 12 weeks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Although that should be enough time for the bonus miles to post!

AAdvantage May 15, 2001 2:28 pm

I will try and answer as many questions as
I can in this reply - I will be out of town
for the remainder of the week.

Clickrewards.com, Sofitel and Canada3000 are all partners, aa.com should reflect these in the listing of partners.

The majority of AAdvantage Partners are listed on aa.com and in the Member Guide.
I know it is frustrating that all partners
are not listed - we have partners who sign
on in various ways - we can't promote all of them on aa.com for the simple reason of they
don't update us on the specifics of their
programs - or changes to it!
A charity, for example, may purchase miles
to use in a promotion. They do not notify us when, where or how they intend to give these miles away.
Same for a small business - like roofing companies, dry cleaners, local markets, etc. - they may purchase miles to use
in a promotion but at the last minute change their mind and wait three months to award miles for a completely different product/service.
These are all reasons why there will always
be some partners missing from our listings.
For any of the above examples - these individual companies take on the responsibility of promoting how and when they
award their miles.

Basic rule of thumb if you earn miles from a different, individual partner between
May 1, 2001 and September 30, 2001 they will count as one of the 20 required partners. If this business stops giving out miles at some point during the promotional
period - and you were able to earn miles before they drop out - you got one of your
20 partners. If you didn't, you will need
to find a different partner ...
I am sure you can understand why, from a business perspective, we cannot always post when a partner's contract is up for negotiation or going to expire. (Exception: Airline partners require us to give a 6 month termination notice)

The legal verbiage or lack of information was
not intended to cause this much confusion -
we designed this program to have very few
exceptions - not the other way around.

AOLAADVANTAGE is not as confusing as it seems. If you earn miles from completely different partners thru this program like
SharperImage or carparts.com (one of your examples?!) they both count - or you have
2 of your 20 parnters. The legal verbiage
on aa.com has more information regarding
AOLAADVANTAGE.

Bonus miles: Basically is referring to members who sign up for CITIBANK card to get the miles for filling out the form but never
activate the card, or who may go on a website and take a survey to earn miles...
situations like that are what "bonus" miles refers to.

Point conversion from a participating program to AAdvantage miles does count toward this promotion.

I hope this helps... Again AAdvantage Customer Service has been given updated information regarding this promotion,
please contact them for specifics.

BJJ May 15, 2001 3:29 pm

Here is my list of potential partners, and a bit of info on prices. I think I can get 20 partners pretty easily. The two donations are the only things that I wouldn't really have done anyway that cost me any money.

1 1800FLOWERS (Done, Mother's day)
2 AOL
3 Citibank charge card.
4 Clickrewards. Just need to transfer the 250 clickrewards to AA. www.clickrewards.com
Takes 8 weeks to post.
https://www.clickrewards.com/shopearn/featured_offers.html to earn more clickrewards for surveys every two weeks.
5 Dining for Miles. Sign up, register a credit card, and dine at an eligible restaurant AAdvantage Dining program by calling 1-800-479-5981.
6 Scuba miles – get miles for taking scuba PADI course - may have to encourage Dive Shop to sign up with AA
7__Greenpoints – mail in my 500 miles for Greenpoints – this may not qualify, even though the certificate is not expired. Greenpoints is no longer a partner with AA. – Later, Looks like this is an OK partner….
8___Kellogs – collect Kellogs certificates, and mail them in.
9___Time Warner magazine subscription. Free, but remember to cancel. They also have free subscriptions to Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, and probably a couple others on there. Its on the AOLAAdvantage site.
10__HiltonHHonors – 10K to transfer. Will get another 2000 around 1st of July for
updating my account (you get to do this twice every quarter) Could probably shop and get more HH points.
11__”Get a quote on a new vehicle” online through the AOLAAdvantage site and earn 400 miles.
Did this May 15.
The ad/link at AOLAAdvantage site says:
Thinking about purchasing or leasing a new or pre-owned vehicle? Get a free quote from one of over 2,800 participating, new car dealers nearest you with your desired make of vehicle. Earn 400 miles for receiving an e-mail or telephone quote on the vehicle of your choice. Offer limit: one quote per member, per month.
I tried it for Toyota, Chrysler, Chevrolet, and got a
Message that said "At this time we do not have a CHEVROLET dealer in the VehiclesOnline.com database. Please check back as we are constantly adding dealers. You may also click here to select another make."
12___Fundraising – American Airlines “Fundraising” and “National Parks” donation. Call AA to do this?
This MAY count as two partners. Where do you do this??
13__ PetSmart.com
14_Speigel – good quality clothing – a reasonable purchase anytime
15_LandsEnd – good quality clothing – a reasonable purchase anytime
(Have seen that others say it takes 3 wks to post)
16___Office Max (through AOLAAdvantage site) For anyone interested in a cheap OfficeMax deal - there is a $ 1.57 Bic pen with a $1.57
mail in rebate - which brings the cost down to zero. Unfortunately, there's a $ 5.00 delivery fee.
17___Points.com Convert over some points. Could possibly convert some LP miles, or Delta. First conversion is free. Need to make sure I can get “partner” credit for more than one conversion, as I’m planning on doing the Hilton Hhonors conversion.
18___Carparts.com Hays Decal = $1.05 plus shipping
19__Hotel stay(s)
20___BMG music (this may be a problem, since I think I’m already in BMG – they mail me stuff, at least)
21___Hickory Farms – Corn Salsa $5.50
22___Express.com - Buy $2 Maxell AAA 4 pack at Express.com.
23___Order a $6 chocolate orange from Plow & Hearth through the aa.com site
24___Rent a car
25___”Quick checkout” Get 500 miles for signing up for this at the AOLAAdvantage site. I think if I do this one,
I can’t do the Aol Opinion Place one (which I can't seem to get anyway
26_ Art.com – lots of nice prints – prices start at about $13 plus shipping
27_ Chefs Catalog .com
28_ ehobbies – Non AOL subscriber site gives: You have tried to access a link that no longer works. Please contact the site owner.
29_ Harry and David – fruits/baskets, gourmet, a few basic clothing items, décor items , some $15 candles.
30_ Orvis – Under Sale, Womens, tops, waffle knit - $24 blouse that looks useful. – Sale prices are reasonable
31_ Ebags - $20 kids wheeled duffel – good for school backpack?
32_ Eddie Bauer
33_ Sharper Image.com - $15 for a pair of keyless luggage locks. Get 15% off by registering, if it’s your first order. Or the Flash Extreme flashlight w/ clock on sale for $6.95
34__Fly

[This message has been edited by BJJ (edited 05-15-2001).]

chix May 15, 2001 4:00 pm

[This message has been edited by chix (edited 05-15-2001).]

MileKing May 15, 2001 4:01 pm

Excellent list BJJ!! You mention "FLY" as a qualifying transaction. You can also add aa.com as a partner based on what AAdvantage posted. So a flight booked on aa.com gets you two partners for the price of one.

fscher May 15, 2001 4:22 pm

Originally posted by BJJ:
[B
10__HiltonHHonors – 10K to transfer. Will get another 2000 around 1st of July for
updating my account (you get to do this twice every quarter) 12___Fundraising – American Airlines “Fundraising” and “National Parks” donation. Call AA to do this?
This MAY count as two partners. Where do you do this??
17___Points.com Convert over some points. Could possibly convert some LP miles, or Delta. First conversion is free. Need to make sure I can get “partner” credit for more than one conversion, as I’m planning on doing the Hilton Hhonors conversion.
[This message has been edited by BJJ (edited 05-15-2001).][/B]

1. Beware. Hilton DEDUCTED 9000 points from my account! They said too many profiles were done last year. This loop is coming to a close. They never even warned me. That is another topic.

2. Call 1 800 882 8880 with credit card for National Parks donation... Other charities listed under AADVANTAGE tab at aa.com (listed under non profit participants). Lots of them, but many have a high minimum. I called several today. Some are not even doing it anymore. Still a nice thing to do if one of your favorites is on there.

3. Points.com....assuming this counts (and I am assuming it for now).
Open an Alaska Air account and get 500 bonus miles. Then open their Alaska Plus (whatever it is called) for 1000 more. Then convert these to 176 miles for FREE! Easy to do.

Anyone know what national dry cleaner chain gives miles? I know I have heard one advertsised, but can't track it down. If we all share our ideas (proven or otherwise) we can get this done!

[This message has been edited by fscher (edited 05-16-2001).]