FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Clarification on AAdvantage 20 Partners... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/146951-clarification-aadvantage-20-partners.html)

AAdvantage May 11, 2001 9:34 am

Clarification on AAdvantage 20 Partners...

I understand with thousands of parnters, situations, and millions of people trying to get the 20,000 bonus miles this will not answer all of your questions...but I think it will help if you use it as a guideline ...

1) For the purpose of this promotion each participating “brand” not hotel “company” will count as one individual transaction. There are various hotel companies within the AAdvantage program that offer miles at several different “brands” of their hotel. For example, Marriott Hotels is an AAdvantage partner. Members may earn AAdvantage miles at any “brand” of Marriott property: Marriott Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott Suites, Marriott Vacation Club, etc. Each “brand” of Marriott Hotels, that awards miles, will count as a different partner – rather than all Marriott Hotel “brands” counting as one partner.

2) AAdvantage Dining is considered one AAdvantage partner for this promotion. While there are several different restaurants that participate within the AAdvantage Dining program, these restaurants do not participate in the AAdvantage program under each individual establishment name –they participate as “AAdvantage Dining” therefore all restaurants under AAdvantage Dining count as one partner.

3) Airline Partners – The airline name that posts to your AAdvantage account is the airline name that counts as a partner. For example: Travel on American Airlines and American Eagle count as one partner as they post under one airline name - American Airlines. Same for Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air – they post as Alaska Airlines.

FYI: US Airways pooling will count as a US Airways transaction. If a member earns miles on US Airways Shuttle and also pools Dividend Miles, that will be one transaction.

For additional clarification please contact AAdvantage Customer Service - by calling in they have the systems to log your questions so we can investigate and better answer them! I know this is antiquated for most of you but having hundreds of people available to answer your questions is more effective than just one person - me.

bollar May 11, 2001 9:36 am

It's always a treat to have someone from AA come by and give us the real information. I hope that you're able to stick around!

------------------
My Aviation Pages
My Travel Pages

UserMark May 11, 2001 10:11 am

Hello AAdvantage. Thanks for all the clarifications. Can you tell us how the Citibank credit cards are treated? There is the Citibank VISA, Clickciti MasterCard, World Mastercard, etc. They all post with the individual names on the statement. Do these all count as different partners or just one "Citibank"? What about the Citibank brokerage? Thanks.

AAdvantage May 11, 2001 10:27 am

All the cards you have mentioned are personal citibank cards and count as one
partner. The only way to have 2 partner
postings under Citibank is if you had a
personal card and one of their business
cards.

Originally posted by UserMark:
Hello AAdvantage. Thanks for all the clarifications. Can you tell us how the Citibank credit cards are treated? There is the Citibank VISA, Clickciti MasterCard, World Mastercard, etc. They all post with the individual names on the statement. Do these all count as different partners or just one "Citibank"? What about the Citibank brokerage? Thanks.

MileKing May 11, 2001 10:32 am

Does AA.com (i.e., the on-line booking bonus) count as a separate partner than a flight on AA?

Do ClickRewards transfers to my AAdvantage account count as a partner? (They were originally on the list but were removed.)

Do separate mileage certificates from different charitable organizations (i.e. for donations) count as separate partners or just one?

Thanks much, AAdvantage, for helping us with these questions!

travelour May 11, 2001 10:46 am

Hi,
I overlooked this topic earlier and posted a message about this promotion, so i apologize for being repetitive.

Okay, my question is about AOL Advantage partners involved in this promotion. If you look at the list provided at aa.com, it lists partners such as BMG and sharperimage.com as partners involved in this program. my question is "what about partners like spiegel and carparts.com which are also AOL Advantage partners?"
The wording under the terms of the offer at aa.com specifically state:

"AAdvantage partner mileage transactions include posted mileage from any company offering AAdvantage mileage."

So according to the list you'd think that you would receive 2 credits if you purchased something at sharperimage.com and through BMG. but what about carparts.com? even though they're not listed on "the list", according to the terms of the offer, they should count.

for clarification, i contacted AAdvantage Customer Service. After some research was conducted by AA on this promotion, they told me that you receive one credit for each different type of code posted to your account. For example, Petsmart.com and Spiegel have the same codes, whereas fogdog.com has another code. So if you bought something from those three retailers, you would only receive credit for two. Now, what i find problematic is we have no idea of clearly knowing which AOL Advantage partner we would get a separate credit for and which we wouldn't.

doc May 11, 2001 11:47 am

Thanks VERY much for attempting to clarify these various issues for us! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Beckles May 11, 2001 12:29 pm

Originally posted by AAdvantage:
3) Airline Partners – The airline name that posts to your AAdvantage account is the airline name that counts as a partner. For example: Travel on American Airlines and American Eagle count as one partner as they post under one airline name - American Airlines. Same for Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air – they post as Alaska Airlines.

Does American Airlines count as a partner for one of the twenty?!?

maple May 11, 2001 12:35 pm

Erm, isn't the answer up there in the quote you picked out? Or am I misled? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif

honu May 11, 2001 12:42 pm

Thanks for helping with all our questions and welcome to the board! Here is a question about Canada3000. It' not listed among the airline partners, but it is one now, so, would their flights count?

fscher May 11, 2001 12:47 pm

I understand with thousands of parnters, situations,

where can we get this list?
it sure would be of help!
Thanks.

sosafan May 11, 2001 12:48 pm

Thank you Aadvantage for taking on this needed clarification. Please do not be frustrated by detailed questions. I think many of us are yearning to go for this bonus, but want to clearly understand the rules before we take the time, effort and extra money that some of these transactions will require. Here are my questions:

1. In what sense is the list of partners at AA.com complete? If there is a reason that a complete list is not available, could the existing list not be called "complete", as that is a source of confusion?

2. Clickrewards was removed from the list. Will posted mileage from a clickrewards transfer count?

3. Will posted mileage from the deposit of unexpired greenpoints certificates count?

4. Will posted mileage from points.com count?

5. Is the designation of certain partners as "AOLAAdvantage.com" partners on the list solely for identification, or would all of them count together as one partner?

6. Does the use of BOTH AOL quick checkout AND AOL Opinion place count as one transaction or two?

7. In general, how will I know whether a business which advertizes "Aadvantage miles" qualifies for this promotion? Flyertalkers have quoted someone named "Jason Earll" in two different threads with seemingly contradictory statements. In http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum.../003249-2.html there is a statement
"The business incentive offers to which you refer are part of the AAdvantage Sales program. All
Advantage Sales offers do not count toward this offer." But in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/003520.html he is quoted " These companies offer mileage through the AAdvantage Incentive Miles program. Each of these companies counts as its own partner for the purposes of the program." Do the "Aadvantage incentive miles program" and the "Aadvantage sales program" refer to separate programs, or has a misunderstanding been propogated here?

Thanks Again.

p.s. You suggested calling Aadvantage Customer Service with questions. I would suggest that a carefully composed FAQ at AA.com would be more efficient for both of us.

fscher May 11, 2001 4:10 pm

I have a real problem with the list changing every day. Giftcertificates.com was listed yesterday, and now it is gone. If I get 20 credits and then you say that there was a ANOTHER mistake on the list, what happens? The site now lists Hotel questions, AOL type questions and Air Partner.....I really want specifics on the retail services and donations.

DebBrown May 11, 2001 4:51 pm

Originally posted by fscher:
Giftcertificates.com was listed yesterday, and now it is gone.
I don't think giftcertifcates.com has been on the list since before May 1. I printed the list May 1 and have been noting changes since then. The only changes to the retail section have been the removal of "Fresh Home & Garden" and the additions of Kelloggs and the National Parks Foundation.

I couldn't figure out how to get miles from giftcertificates anyway. Is there a way?

Debbie

fscher May 11, 2001 5:17 pm

There was a way......guess they removed themselves from program. Their link was at aa.com. 100.00 in gift certificates got you miles. Glad you saw it was there at some point. I can't keep up with the changes.

billhallNY May 11, 2001 5:35 pm

Is Sofitel a partner? They were added to the partner list around 5/1 or just before but I can't find any reference on their web site for AA.

phsu May 11, 2001 7:04 pm

Does the point conversion from Radisson Hotel Gold points count as one credit?

All the cards you have mentioned are personal citibank cards and count as one
partner. The only way to have 2 partner
postings under Citibank is if you had a
personal card and one of their business
cards.

travelour May 11, 2001 8:59 pm

Okay, i just read the terms and conditions for the millionth time and these words caught my eye:

"Bonus mileage does not apply to this promotion."

Does this mean, for example, if I sign up for a People magazine subscription and get 250 bonus miles for signing up, it would not count since, technically, these are bonus miles? Or what about if I sign up for a bmg membership and get 300 bonus miles, will this count as a transaction? it seems as it wouldn't as, these are technically 'bonus' miles.

Beckles May 11, 2001 9:54 pm

Originally posted by travelour:
Okay, i just read the terms and conditions for the millionth time and these words caught my eye:

"Bonus mileage does not apply to this promotion."

Does this mean, for example, if I sign up for a People magazine subscription and get 250 bonus miles for signing up, it would not count since, technically, these are bonus miles? Or what about if I sign up for a bmg membership and get 300 bonus miles, will this count as a transaction? it seems as it wouldn't as, these are technically 'bonus' miles.

I've actually wondered about that too. I would think it refers to bonuses for AA flights. However, I find it interesting that of my six partners that have posted so far, Ehobbies.com, Orvis, Chef's Catalog, Diners Club, Starwood Point Transfer, and Points.com, five show as "Mileage" and Starwood Mileage Transfer shows as "Bonus Miles" ... is that significant?

travelour May 11, 2001 11:27 pm

Originally posted by Beckles:
I've actually wondered about that too. I would think it refers to bonuses for AA flights. However, I find it interesting that of my six partners that have posted so far, Ehobbies.com, Orvis, Chef's Catalog, Diners Club, Starwood Point Transfer, and Points.com, five show as "Mileage" and Starwood Mileage Transfer shows as "Bonus Miles" ... is that significant?
Hmm, also, as i posted above, according to AAdvantage Customer Service, not all the AOL Advantage partners count as separate credits toward this promotion (petsmart.com and officemax.com, for example, count as only one credit). I wish AA would provide better details about what counts and what doesn't!

fscher May 12, 2001 4:50 am

Oh my goodness.........what if this was their 30th anniversary and we had to come up with 30 partners?? Yikes. I think this celebration is turning into a punishment. Can't we pretend it is their 10th anniversary?
Since the partners and interpretations having been changing each day, maybe they can change this "little detail", too!

DebBrown May 12, 2001 10:42 am

I emailed AA regarding point conversions showing up in the bonus column. After my second email, AA confirmed that these points do count as a partner in the promotion even though they appear in the bonus column.

Debbie

dgordon May 12, 2001 3:22 pm

I am being sent a members guide that is suppose to list ways to get miles. Apparently too many to list at the web-site. I am curious to see what I will find. I asked at customer service - if a $10 donation were made to the National Parks, and later a $190 promotion were made would it count as $200 for the sake of bonus miles. You only need $10 for it to count as a partner.

------------------
DtG

kappa May 12, 2001 8:27 pm

There are too many FT threads relating to this AAdvantage promotion. There are at least two here on the American board and others on The Buzz and Randy Only boards.

I wish we had a Moderator to consolidate them with a notation as to where the topc can and should be addressed.

I asked this question on another thread and have received no response, so I am trying it here: "I notice on the partner list 'Shop at Home' and I have found its website; but I see no connection with AAdvantage. Can anyone enlighten me?"

fscher May 12, 2001 8:39 pm

go to AA.Com
under ADVANTAGE you will find a member guide
go to earn miles
go to earn more miles & you will see the link.

However.....this company did NOT have a good track record with customers working on the Northwest promotion and I would not fool with them.

dgordon May 13, 2001 12:16 am

So, will buying a gift certificate at EddieBauer through AOLAAdvantage count as a partner? Ordering free trial of Time and Entertainment(then cancelling) count as a partner?

------------------
DtG

bedelman May 14, 2001 2:32 pm

As I understand it, we're all still uncertain re which AOLAAdvantage partners will count distinctly towards the 20 required for this promotion, and which will all be lumped together.

I think http://webcenter.aolaadvantage.aol.c.../earn_faqs.adp may be helpful for puzzling this out, or at least understanding what's going on here. Notice how the following companies all use [email protected] for mileage service inquiries:

Art.com
CarParts.com
ChefsCatalog.com
EBags.com
Eddie Bauer
eHobbies
Express.com
Harry and David
Hickory Farms
Illuminations
Land's End
Office Max
Orvis
PETsMART.com
Spiegel.com

(Scroll down that page about halfway to see this for yourself.)

Now, http://www.calypso.com is quite an odd page -- doesn't make it at all clear why an email address at this site would help with AOLAAdvantage mileage inquiries. But the fact remains that AOLAAdvante online help groups these partners together for one purpose -- customer service -- that makes me think they may well all earn miles through a single code that yields only a single credit towards the 20-partner promotion.

fscher May 14, 2001 2:46 pm

I guess we really are getting to spread out over the board with this promotion. I already posted that I contacted Calypso and they are confused to. Here is their response:

Thank you for your email. I have gotten several questions about this promotion and I am investigating exactly how it will appear so there is no more confusion.

Please be patient. I will try to have an answer by the end of the day.

Thank you for shopping with AOLAAdvantage.
Mickey M.

I contacted OfficeMax at the same time and the ONLY program they work with is ClickRewards. If you shop officemax through AOL it will NOT show as a posting for OFFICEMAX......We still don't know what it will show.

Beckles May 14, 2001 3:05 pm

As it so happens, I have made purchases from three of the companies in that list and they have already posted, and here's how they posted:

Date _ _ _ Activity Description
05/09/2001 CHEF'S CATALOG MILES
05/09/2001 ORVIS MILES
05/09/2001 EHOBBY MILES

I don't see any reason to believe those won't count as separate partners.

Beckles May 14, 2001 3:08 pm

As it so happens, I have made purchases from three of the companies in that list and they have already posted, and here's how they posted:

Date _ _ _ Activity Description
05/09/2001 CHEF'S CATALOG MILES
05/09/2001 ORVIS MILES
05/09/2001 EHOBBY MILES

I don't see any reason to believe those won't count as separate partners.

fscher May 14, 2001 3:38 pm

Just remember: According to Bruce Chemel -

So many of the questions surrounding this promotion come from folks trying to make it harder than it is! Let me assure you, we're giving pretty broad definitions to the term "Partner."

Exactly, Mr. Chemel....We don't want a broad definition.....narrow it down for us!!!!

MIKESILV May 14, 2001 5:02 pm

Post deleted same info in one regarding Calypso below, trouble last night in posting
on Flyertalk.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 05-15-2001).]

ChaseTheMiles May 14, 2001 6:35 pm

Has anyone noticed that AAdvantage hasn't stopped by this thread after the intial two posts?

JIMBOLIGUY May 14, 2001 6:51 pm

Be careful on the Gift Certificates -- the only way I found to buy them would be from Eddiebauer.com. If that is the case, the page you launch from says that miles are awarded for "merchandise purchases" only. GCs are a form of payment, not a merchandise purchase.

--Jim

JIMBOLIGUY May 14, 2001 6:57 pm

[duplicate]

[This message has been edited by JIMBOLIGUY (edited 05-15-2001).]

MIKESILV May 14, 2001 8:05 pm

Post deleted since info was same a two others
which did not show up on board last night.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 05-15-2001).]

MIKESILV May 14, 2001 8:25 pm

Calypso might be just a service operation for the listed partners.
My wife ordered items from both Spiegel.com
and Petsmart.com and the miles posted in her AOLAdvantage account listed by each respective vendor.
Pity the order was made in April before the current promo. Miles took about 3 weeks to post, consequently I am pretty certain that those a least are considered separate and valid partners for the 20 to 20K program.
Mike

tvl4free May 15, 2001 7:56 am

Originally posted by bedelman:
As I understand it, we're all still uncertain re which AOLAAdvantage partners will count distinctly towards the 20 required for this promotion, and which will all be lumped together.

You're right on that one. Yesterday I placed a call to AAdvantage for clarification. No one could answer the question - so they said that they would research this with the promotions department and call me back.

Well, this morning I received a call back and was advised that ANY order place thru AOLAADVANTAGE would only count a 1 transaction, regardless of how many partners that you buy from via the site.

I think that this info was wrong, however. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

At least I hope so, bacause I've already completed my AOLAADVANTAGE shopping.

For anyone interested in a cheap OfficeMax deal - there is a $ 1.57 Bic pen with a $1.57
mail in rebate - which brings the cost down to zero. Unfortunately, there's a $ 5.00 delivery fee. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

BJJ May 15, 2001 10:16 am

Hello All. This AA 20K bonus is looking like it may be doable. I've seen reference to a Flyertalk chat with Bruce Chemel on 5/10/01. I've also seen some reference that made me believe there is a transcript of it somewhere. Could somebody give me a link? And who IS Bruce Chemel? Are his comments in the chat "official"?

sosafan May 15, 2001 10:22 am

To answer the last two, BJJ, the chat is here
http://www.flyertalk.com/transcripts/051001.html

and he says

"Earn miles by using 5 different AOLAADVANTAGE partners: Counts
as 5 partners. BUT if you earn miles from AOL Opinion Place AND AOL Quick Check Out, it counts as one partner, namely AOL." which if correct (he is president and even some things that George Bush says are right) shows that tvl4free probably got some bum information.