FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Clarification on AAdvantage 20 Partners... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/146951-clarification-aadvantage-20-partners.html)

craz May 25, 2001 1:01 pm

just a thought, if I purchase something and return it within the time span for a refund will the miles still stay posted? providing I get the miles posted within enough time to return the item/s.
has anyone had this happen to them?

nologic May 25, 2001 3:28 pm

Someone referred me to Guaranty Bank and they are entitled to an AA referral credit if they email me with their name...

I think the Guaraty deal is pretty good...if you value the miles at 2 cpm, then it works out to about 5% interest on $2,000 for a year, including the 2,000 mile sign up bonus (this is the minimum balance requred to avoid fees), or about 3% annually thereafter... (not so good at that point).

But for a "free" partner for the anniversary promo...it's a pretty good deal.

anz5708 May 25, 2001 5:26 pm

I made a boo boo! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/redface.gif

[This message has been edited by anz5708 (edited 05-25-2001).]

JIMBOLIGUY May 26, 2001 1:25 pm

OK -- I had to add my own comments regarding a purchase from Eddie Bauer on AOL.

I sent myself a $50 gift cert (which I will use myself since I shop at Eddie Bauer anyway). For that, I earned:

1. 50 AOL Miles
2. 100 Delta Skymiles (Eddie Bauer participates in their skymiles shopping program which is based on the credit card you use)
3. Extra points on my Eddie Bauer MasterCard (3% rebate on Eddie Bauer purchases).

Not too bad...

--Jim

samee May 26, 2001 9:18 pm

Originally posted by BJJ:
Can somebody help me with the Vehicles Online 400 mile offer? I know that many have said they never saw the miles, but others have recently had success. I can't get anything except "Sorry. We don't have any ________ dealers in the VehiclesOnline database at this time.....". I've tried just about every vehicle on the list. I've tried both options: Go directly to participating dealer, and Make a comprehensive selection.... Is this because of the area where I live (Alabama)? Help???
me too-in New Jersey...Help!

thepla May 27, 2001 7:56 pm

I get two entries for MCI on my AA statement and was wondering if both would count.

"MCI Long Distance Service" and
"SMall Bus. Long Distance Miles"

I know thie situation for Citibank, regular and Business cards count as two.

Has anybody heard about the two MCI types?

Bevcc May 28, 2001 12:01 am

On returning an item: I have no experience with AAdvantage, but I did return a Click Rewards purchase once. Not only did the miles stay in my Click Rewards account, but so did the 500-mile bonus for that promotion.

On the Auto quote: I have been doing this for some time, and I always get the points. Vehicles online is slow to credit the points, and there's that additional delay that AAdvantage has posting to the web. Although they say it will be credited in 60 days, I would allow 75 because of AA's posting delay.

As for the lack of car dealers, that is based on your zip code, so I don't think there is a way around it other than moving your "address" to a major city. However, the dealers do call (even if you request an e-mail), so there isn't much you can do.

Another point on all of this: of the AOL/AAdvantage shopping sites, most pay 2x to 3x miles if you are an AOL member (only 1x if you are not). If you plan to spend some serious money on the purchases, it might be a good idea to join AOL for a month, or whatever the free trial period is, to maximize the points.

- bcc

Damian Jun 10, 2001 10:46 pm

Just a quickie,

Do you have to go through AOLAdvantage.com to book your hertz res. to get credit for this promo ?

Thanks

BTW, you guys are GREAT, thanks for all the info and effort.

rspading Jun 11, 2001 5:29 am

For Hertz credit (miles), just ensure Hertz has your AA number on the reservation. It will also show up on the rental contract and your receipt.

fscher Jun 11, 2001 5:57 am

We got our paper statement in the mail. There is a "triangle" symbol by some transaction descriptions with a sidebar indicating this means "AOL AADVANTAGE PARTNER TRANSACTION." This triangle is NOT next to AADVANTAGE-Kellogg Swirls or MCI LONG DISTANCE SERVICE! While we are very certain (or are we) that these count, I fear a problem with the computer calculations of our partners at the end of the promotion.

Drummer Jun 11, 2001 10:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fscher:
We got our paper statement in the mail. There is a "triangle" symbol by some transaction descriptions with a sidebar indicating this means "AOL AADVANTAGE PARTNER TRANSACTION." This triangle is NOT next to AADVANTAGE-Kellogg Swirls or MCI LONG DISTANCE SERVICE! While we are very certain (or are we) that these count, I fear a problem with the computer calculations of our partners at the end of the promotion.</font>
There are likely to be problems with calculation of partners, in light of the conflicting information AA gives out. But I think that this particular concern is not problematic. The 20K promotion is not limited to AOL AAdvantage partners. Rather, it says "Use 20 different AAdvantage partners".

[This message has been edited by Drummer (edited 06-11-2001).]

fscher Jun 11, 2001 12:28 pm

Drummer: You are correct. I keep thinking of the two as one in the same sometimes. I think that all this confusion has me confused!

leroy11 Jun 11, 2001 12:40 pm

(Possibly) a very dumb question ... in light of the current situation on the NW board concerning the Fly Free Faster promotion, are we sure that we definitely do not have to register for this promotion?

Thanks!!

chix Jun 11, 2001 12:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by leroy11:
(Possibly) a very dumb question ... in light of the current situation on the NW board concerning the Fly Free Faster promotion, are we sure that we definitely do not have to register for this promotion?

Thanks!!
</font>
No registration required....

dealOCD Jun 11, 2001 3:53 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif Please be patient. I have some questions that have been asked in some way shape or form in the past but believe me when I tell you Ive been reading and rereading the 20/20 info promotions and all the posts. Ok get to the point...did I mention Ive been at this for 12 hrs today tring to sign up on all the web sites attempting to buy etc.......ok focus...
1. Even if you go through the aol/advantage shopping site once you input your aa # they never refer to it again on the shopping sites right? I would just love to have a confirmation. so who DO you call if nothing posts in a few weeks...aol? advantage?
2. I signed up for the aol quick check out so where do you go from there ...do you just pick a store from any of their list or are you supposed to pick from the aol/advantage shopping list? I did not see any where to put my aadvtg # when I signed up for quick chechout even though I clicked on it from the aa web site? Sorry seems like a simple question but I could not figure it out. Is this where people are doing express and office max or do you get that through aol/advantage or just go through the web sites individually in some way as they are not listed on the partners list??????? and what ever happened with ordering office max and avoiding shipping by sending directly to store for pick up??
and 3. I filled out the form for opinion place but no survey yet...Then I went to click rewards to try to get them as a partner and one of there point earning partners is opinion place ...I signed on through there and got to immediately take a survey...so now am I to assume that those points will post to quick rewards account which I can transfer to Aa for a partner but I willl lose the opportunity to have opinion place counted as a separate partner as They only allow 1 survey every few months and I took it through click rewards....Thank you I have tried for 10 partners today!!! Its taken all day...
I do have a tiny bit to add...
FYI
CHefs.com I found an item that is completely free... #0277 "coffee filter cone" so youd just pay for shipping but Im not sure if that would really count as a purchase....The catalog has lots of nice gift ideas...something simple but good quality that everyone usess.....coffee espresso 8.95 plus shipping.
Also some of you kellogs obsessed flyers (you know who you are)might be interested in a site "Nest EGGZ" they have coupons for kellogs cereal and nutrigrane twists but you set up an account and the money goes in there after you checkout at the grocery store and you take it out when ever you want to cash it in at 15% interest...interesting anyway...

any answers to my questions appreciated
thanks for all the good info. Id like to return to sleeping nights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dealOCD (edited 06-11-2001).]

clacko Jun 11, 2001 4:25 pm

i'm up to 18[if all post] all are listed on the [changing] partners on aa.com. i printed the partners list on5/14 , checked it on 6 /10 in aa.com , only change i noted was deletion of forte hotels. have emailed asking for a definitive list. on aa.com it has the partners list & that opinionplace or speedy[fast] checkout will count as one partner. have seen nothing on aolaad shopping @ eddie bauer, etc on aa.com. only in these threads. is there an exaustive list anywhere?

clacko Jun 11, 2001 4:28 pm

i've done it again! just can't wait to see my prose immortalized! dupe

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 06-11-2001).]

nologic Jun 12, 2001 7:13 am

If you have trouble getting credit for your orders thru AOL AAdvanatge, email [email protected] with your order number, ship date, rec'd date and pre-shipping dollar value. I did this seperately for express.com and carparts.com ... here's the email I rec'd back on carparts.com (I rec'd a similar one for express.com):
"Thank you for your email.

Your account will be credited with 75 miles for your Carparts.com order. I may take up to 4 weeks for the miles to appear in your account. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for shopping using AOLAAdvantage."

Happy shopping. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

lovetotravel Jun 12, 2001 12:34 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dealOCD:
[B] 2. I signed up for the aol quick check out so where do you go from there ...do you just pick a store from any of their list or are you supposed to pick from the aol/advantage shopping list? I did not see any where to put my aadvtg # when I signed up for quick chechout even though I clicked on it from the aa web site? Sorry seems like a simple question but I could not figure it out. Is this where people are doing express and office max or do you get that through aol/advantage or just go through the web sites individually in some way as they are not listed on the partners list??????? and what ever happened with ordering office max and avoiding shipping by sending directly to store for pick up??
and 3. I filled out the form for opinion place but no survey yet...Then I went to click rewards to try to get them as a partner and one of there point earning partners is opinion place ...I signed on through there and got to immediately take a survey...so now am I to assume that those points will post to quick rewards account which I can transfer to Aa for a partner but I willl lose the opportunity to have opinion place counted as a separate partner as They only allow 1 survey every few months and I took it through click rewards....Thank you I have tried for 10 partners today!!! Its taken all day...
any answers to my questions appreciated
thanks for all the good info. Id like to return to sleeping nights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[QUOTE]

If you are signed up with Quick Check Outgiving them your credit card info etc. you should get your points. Any time you shop online and see the quich check out symbol, pay through that, thats all there is to it. If you dont pay through them, thats fine too.

Re: Opinion Place surveys: If you do a survey through AOLAAdvantage, they are a partner there. However, they are also associated with Click Rewards. If you do a survey at ClickRewards, you get Clickrewards points, which can be coverted to AA miles. Survey poins at AOLAadvantage are not associated with click reward survey points. The confusion comes from the name"Opinion Place" which conducts both surveys. You can do surveys on both sites and get miles at Aol site and click rewards points at click reward site also, independent of each other.

Hope this is helpful.

dealOCD Jun 12, 2001 2:43 pm

OK Here goes BEFORE I dish out my findings....WHERE on earth is everyone getting express.com from....I dont see it from the aa site partners list or aolaadvantagge???? ???

OK EBAGS great deal go to ebags through aolaadvantage as usual then once youre in fill out your email for the dream deal sweepstakes that pops up once you do that they give you a new page with an offer for a free cell phone bag you will pay 3.99 for shipping and add a partner.
IF YOU would rather order something they sent a code that may work thats 10 off 25 32294215 also found other codes G8724TRE 10 off of 30....
GOgoshopper.com has bunches of codes for carparts.com, ebags, and hickory farms..also try deal catchers.com

Now someone tell me how do you get express AND does anyone know weather they will be adding gap soon I see the banner that its comming that would be nice.

cactuspete Jun 12, 2001 3:04 pm

Caution: You generally do not receive miles on shipping and tax. Therefore a "free" purchase may not qualify as a partner.

fscher Jun 12, 2001 3:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dealOCD:
OK Here goes BEFORE I dish out my findings....WHERE on earth is everyone getting express.com from....I dont see it from the aa site partners list or aolaadvantagge???? ???

OK EBAGS great deal go to ebags through aolaadvantage as usual then once youre in fill out your email for the dream deal sweepstakes that pops up once you do that they give you a new page with an offer for a free cell phone bag you will pay 3.99 for shipping and add a partner.
IF YOU would rather order something they sent a code that may work thats 10 off 25 32294215 also found other codes G8724TRE 10 off of 30....
GOgoshopper.com has bunches of codes for carparts.com, ebags, and hickory farms..also try deal catchers.com

Now someone tell me how do you get express AND does anyone know weather they will be adding gap soon I see the banner that its comming that would be nice.
</font>
Be careful! Ebags is one that told me they don't give out miles with discount codes. I guess some people are getting both, but I did not take the chance. Hickory Farms did give miles when I used a code.
The Gap claims that they are not coming and that AA used that link without their knowledge. That would have been a great partner for Back to School! This was several weeks ago that I got the email from The Gap.....things can change by the minute.

mwchao Jun 12, 2001 7:19 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dealOCD:
[B]OK Here goes BEFORE I dish out my findings....WHERE on earth is everyone getting express.com from....I dont see it from the aa site partners list or aolaadvantagge???? ???

Apparently, Express.com was removed as a partner this afternoon (someone had posted that information previously). I placed an order with them yesterday, and it is still pending, and I've sent an email off to their customer service asking whether my purchase prior to their removal from AOL Aadvantage still counts. If it doesn't, I'm going to cancel the order (I bought a DVD that was completely overpriced compared to amazon.com).

nologic Jun 13, 2001 8:41 am

"Opinion Place surveys: If you do a survey through AOLAAdvantage, they are a partner there."

I thought that OP surveys counted as the same partner as quick checkout: AOL?

Any confirmation of this?

Linda Kaye Jun 13, 2001 8:56 am

I downloaded "Earn Miles FAQs" from AOLAadvantage and they list contact numbers for participating companies. Among these was Cooking.com. Does this mean this is a partner for the 20/20 AA Promotion? It is not listed anywhere else on AOLAadvantage or on AA. Thanks-

mwchao Jun 13, 2001 11:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Linda Kaye:
I downloaded "Earn Miles FAQs" from AOLAadvantage and they list contact numbers for participating companies. Among these was Cooking.com. Does this mean this is a partner for the 20/20 AA Promotion? It is not listed anywhere else on AOLAadvantage or on AA. Thanks-</font>
I think Cooking.com used to be a partner, along with art.com (which went out of business).

craz Jun 13, 2001 11:05 am

I ordered the batteries at express.com a couple of weeks ago.Got them in 2 days and when after 14 business days I didnt see the miles credited,I simply droped the unopened package into the mail box with a" return to sender-refused" on it.So at least Ill get my $ back and maybe even the miles.

mwchao Jun 13, 2001 11:07 am

After I sent an email off to Express.com yesterday regarding my order and their subsequent removal from the AOL Aadvantage site, I received a reply this morning saying:

"As you may know, EXPRESS.COM is currently undergoing a reorganization. After reading this e-mail, if your questions have not been answered, please resend your e-mail to: [email protected]. One of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you.

Our reorganization and system upgrade is nearing completion. Within the next few weeks, we should begin to receive items back in stock. If you have a pending order in our system, viewable in MY ACCOUNT, it will ship once the unavailable item (s) are back in stock."

I re-sent the email to customer service, and I await a response. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath now, and I'm going to substitute another partner in just in case.

fscher Jun 13, 2001 11:10 am

Some of you may not check out the ONLY RANDY PETERSEN forum. He said that Anne will contact AA when she gets back next week and will try to nail down some more answers. Maybe "specific" questions that have a definite YES OR NO answer should be posted over there so she sees where the confusion is.

cactuspete Jun 13, 2001 12:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
"Opinion Place surveys: If you do a survey through AOLAAdvantage, they are a partner there."

</font>
This seems to be one of the few points thatis clear from the promo rules.

lovetotravel Jun 13, 2001 3:47 pm

My post was only meant to clarify that opinion place surveys at AOL and click rewards are two different things.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:

</font>

nologic Jun 13, 2001 5:35 pm

I agree that the OP survey are different from the Clickrewards surveys.

Somewhere I thought I read that AOL Quick Checkout and AOL Opinion Place counted as the smae partner: AOL???

cactuspete Jun 13, 2001 6:15 pm

Yes, its in the promo rules on the AA site. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

dingo Jun 14, 2001 6:57 am

I have to chime in and I'm sure I'll get lambasted for doing so.

I don't see any way that AA is going to give out 20k miles for buying batteries and Bic pens. The list of partners does not list many of the sites that are being discussed in this thread...it lists hotels, cars and partner airlines primarily. Based on that, it would seem that using these partners plus the designated merchants (not AAOLWhatever) is the only sure way to get the points.

Does anyone have any definitive proof to the contrary or is it just wishful thinking?

fscher Jun 14, 2001 7:15 am

Dingo: Plenty of proof. Those are the only partners that AA seems to agree on! There are emails, postings and transcripts to back them up. It is unfortunate that the posts on this subject are so scattered. The posts verify that there are many partners not listed, just as there are conflicts with those that ARE listed.

Let me give you this one paragraph from a letter that I have (not an email):

We clearly did not anticipate all of the questions members would have with respect to qualification, and are continually clarifying information on our Web site in order to address the many valid concerns that have been raised. In hindsight, we realize that we didn't make clear the most important point, which is that AAdvantage partner mileage transactions include posted base mileage from ANY COMPANY offering AAdvantage mileage. No company from which you can earn AAdvantage miles fro transactions is excluded. EVEN IF THE COMPANY DOES NOT APPEAR ON THE LIST OF PARTNERS ON THE AA.COM WEBSITE (and many local companies will not appear), if you can earn BASE AAdvantage miles, then it counts as one of the 20 partners.

Of course, I don't see where the website was changed to clarify anything, but that is a different story. Nobody would dare to get upset with your challenge of these partners since it has been confusing to all. I think everyone is frustrated with the way this was handled and respect your scepticism! Until the 20K is posted, most of us will be holding our breath.

Bourne Jun 14, 2001 7:18 am

Like Bruce Chemel put it, if anyone gives AA miles, it is a partner.

Regarding the 20K miles for batteries and Bic pens, I got my 10K at NWA for having a couple of beers.

leroy11 Jun 14, 2001 8:41 am

looks like express.com has dropped out and officemax now only gives miles for purchases over $100. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

fscher Jun 14, 2001 8:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by leroy11:
looks like express.com has dropped out and officemax now only gives miles for purchases over $100. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif</font>
DOUBLE MILES over 100.00.
I am almost sure you will still get one for one on smaller purchases if you go through the aolaadvantage link.

anz5708 Jun 14, 2001 9:16 am

Are these merchants moving the carrot on us?

PlaneSpotter Jun 14, 2001 7:57 pm

I think I've seen this asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

To get credit for different Starwood brands, can you just have selected direct deposit to AA, or do you just present your Aadvantage # at check in and not give them your SPG #.
I'm counting Starpoints transfer as one of my partners and want to make sure it would be separate from a direct deposit. Also I want to make sure that direct deposit from different Starwood brands count as separate partners then all of them being under some Starwood miles umbrella.

Same question with Marriott, to get credit for different Marriott brands, can you specify earning miles thru Marriott Rewards, or just present your Aadvantage # at check in and not give them your MR #. Will miles earned thru Marriott rewards look different on your AA statement if you stayed at a Marriott and a Renaissance, or would it just say something like Marriott Miles.

It would be great to have your SPG # and MR # on file with your reservations so you can get your status benefits, but I'm not sure how it could affect getting 20 partners.