Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

 

Old Apr 1, 13, 11:51 am
  #841  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 377
I am looking at CMI-DFW-JFK with a 45 minute connection time in DFW which does not seem that long for such a large airport especially connecting from regional to mainline and considering that there is only one flight offered onto JFK. Might it be worth the $200 for 5 star service or should I just give up and look for a routing on a different day?

Thanks!
zgscl is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 12:29 pm
  #842  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; Starriott LT Plat; IHG Plat,
Posts: 12,801
Originally Posted by zgscl View Post
I am looking at CMI-DFW-JFK with a 45 minute connection time in DFW which does not seem that long for such a large airport especially connecting from regional to mainline and considering that there is only one flight offered onto JFK. Might it be worth the $200 for 5 star service or should I just give up and look for a routing on a different day?

Thanks!
45 is very doable for a domestic connection at DFW, assuming your inbound is on time.

Is NYC your final destination? You'll probably make the connection, but if not, they should offer to put you on the next flight to LGA/EWR instead. That's no big deal if you're heading into the city, but problematic if you're connecting to an international flight at JFK.
swag is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 12:34 pm
  #843  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Posts: 6,762
Originally Posted by zgscl View Post
I am looking at CMI-DFW-JFK with a 45 minute connection time in DFW which does not seem that long for such a large airport especially connecting from regional to mainline and considering that there is only one flight offered onto JFK. Might it be worth the $200 for 5 star service or should I just give up and look for a routing on a different day?

Thanks!
45 minutes is enough time. They also have several flights from DFW to JFK as DFW is an AA hub. If you want to be extra prepared, you can look up other alternative flights, so in case you are late and miss the connection, you can rush to the gate of the next departing flight. As swag said, I'd be more worried if it were an international connection because of the paucity of those flights.
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 2:20 pm
  #844  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,779
AA Y: YYZ-JFK-LHR return O fare

I am posting this again, for fear it wont be read, now it is on a previous page. Hope someone can help me:

Im looking at booking with AA for YYZ-JFK-LHR return. Looking at the website, the fare quoted is an O fare.

1) Can I earn status miles + Asia Miles (I am CX GO/OW Sapphire)
2) If not, can I earn AA miles?
3) With an O fare, am I able to choose Main Cabin Extra seats free of charge? (If not O fare, what fare?)
4) If the above do not apply to O fare, how do I go to the next fare category? On AA site, I am not sure how to upsell to the next fare... do I have to call AA reservations?

Thanks for any help
CX828 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:27 pm
  #845  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
45 minutes is enough time. They also have several flights from DFW to JFK as DFW is an AA hub. If you want to be extra prepared, you can look up other alternative flights, so in case you are late and miss the connection, you can rush to the gate of the next departing flight. As swag said, I'd be more worried if it were an international connection because of the paucity of those flights.
Actually, there is only one daily flight from DFW-JFK. Several to LGA and EWR, but only one to JFK. That's why it could be an issue if connecting to an international flight at JFK.

45 minutes is enough time for a connection in DFW, but not plenty of time. I wouldn't sweat missing my connection if NYC was my final destination, but I'd be worried if I was catching an int'l flight at JFK.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:30 pm
  #846  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
I am posting this again, for fear it wont be read, now it is on a previous page. Hope someone can help me:

Im looking at booking with AA for YYZ-JFK-LHR return. Looking at the website, the fare quoted is an O fare.

1) Can I earn status miles + Asia Miles (I am CX GO/OW Sapphire)
2) If not, can I earn AA miles?
3) With an O fare, am I able to choose Main Cabin Extra seats free of charge? (If not O fare, what fare?)
4) If the above do not apply to O fare, how do I go to the next fare category? On AA site, I am not sure how to upsell to the next fare... do I have to call AA reservations?

Thanks for any help
1. I'm not sure what you mean here. You can't double dip (ie. earn AA miles and Asia miles on the same flight). If you want to earn Asia miles, that's for the CX forum. I found this website, but it's quite outdated.
http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...000ad21c39RCRD

2. Assuming you're booked on an AA marketed flight, you'll earn according to the AA award chart.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

3. As a OWS, you should be able to select MCE seats free of charge.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 6:45 pm
  #847  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,779
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
1. I'm not sure what you mean here. You can't double dip (ie. earn AA miles and Asia miles on the same flight). If you want to earn Asia miles, that's for the CX forum. I found this website, but it's quite outdated.
http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...000ad21c39RCRD

2. Assuming you're booked on an AA marketed flight, you'll earn according to the AA award chart.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

3. As a OWS, you should be able to select MCE seats free of charge.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Re Q1 I mean, with an O fare am I able to earn CX MPO miles towards my tier (but that is a Question for CX Asia Miles forum I guess). Perhaps for the booking I input my CX # for the benefits, but at check-in credit to AAdvantage to collect AA mileage if CX mileage is not available with O fare.

Re Q3, thanks for this. So it does not matter what Economy booking class I book? O class is very low, and I thought I read somewhere that i'd be only elegible with a full fare Y ticket. I just want to clarify.

Thanks
CX828 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 6:59 pm
  #848  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, TK *G, Hilton Diamond, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,559
Originally Posted by zilliontw View Post
Hello AAdvantage gurus

I did try to find answers in the award rules page but couldn't see any; here we go:

I need to go from Cairo, Egypt (CAI) to Bordeux, France (BOD). The most direct (and costly, thanks to BA's YQ) route if CAI-LHR//LGW-BOD. I avoid this because of YQ and the airport change in London.

So the "next best routing" seems to be CAI-AUH-DUS-MAD-BOD. CAI-AUH-DUS with EY then DUS-MAD-BOD with IB. DUS could be replaced by CDG but to MAD I have to go to ORY instead - no flights between CDG and MAD!

The AAward agents (I tried 3 different ones) all told me it would cost either 55k or 60k in F (AUH-DUS EY Fl; the rest in C). I pointed out the AA award chart says Middle East- Europe costs 40k in F. Their reasons for charging me 55k or 60k are

1. only BA and IB are allowed for Middle East- Europe (really? I don't believe it since AB and AY also fly those routes)

2. My routing isn't the most "direct" routing, so I need 2 awards - 40k for Middle East-Europe in EY F, and 20k in IB C.

3. Even odder, they priced 5k less if I dropped MAD-BOD; it seemed like Avios at work where cost depends on the number of segments.

What happens if there's no availability on CAI-LON-BOD? People HAVE TO pay for 2 awards? It's not that I really want to fly to Germany or Spain to get to Bordeaux.

Would love to hear anyone's experiences/comments.
I am at a loss to why you find it surprising AA won't allow you to travel nearly triple the great circle distance CAI-BOD on a single award. No AA partner crosses the South Atlantic, should AA allow you to fly JNB-EZE via LHR?

On this type of award the governing carrier must publish a through fare origin to destination. EY does not publish a fare CAI-BOD, so you are required to pay for two awards: CAI-AUH-DUS for 40k in F and DUS-MAD-BOD for 20k in C. The price would actually be 50k total if you drop MAD-BOD because DUS-MAD (like all AB intra-Europe flights) is all economy so should only cost 10k.

However, as neither IB nor AB publishes a fare DUS-MAD-BOD I am inclined to think that if you actually attempted to ticket this award it would be rejected and you would be quoted 70k total, three separate awards for 40k/10k/20k. If you choose to go this route I would not pay the extra 10k for business MAD-BOD as it is a CRJ with identical 2-2 seating in both J and Y.

But what I'd really recommend is just flying BA, you are only paying $80 in YQ anyway and a lower UK PSC as LGW has lower fees than LHR. In fact, CAI-LHR/LGW-BOD would cost 30k+$164.04 in J (there is no F to CAI anymore). This is only $58 more than you would pay in fees for your proposed F routing.
BrewerSEA is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 7:08 pm
  #849  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, TK *G, Hilton Diamond, NEXUS/GE
Posts: 2,559
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Re Q1 I mean, with an O fare am I able to earn CX MPO miles towards my tier (but that is a Question for CX Asia Miles forum I guess). Perhaps for the booking I input my CX # for the benefits, but at check-in credit to AAdvantage to collect AA mileage if CX mileage is not available with O fare.

Re Q3, thanks for this. So it does not matter what Economy booking class I book? O class is very low, and I thought I read somewhere that i'd be only elegible with a full fare Y ticket. I just want to clarify.

Thanks
An updated chart is available here: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...orld#fareclass

O on AA earns zip to MPC/AM. Changing your FF number at check-in should work fine so as to credit to AA. Do not do this beforehand or you may lose your MCE seat.

The booking class does not matter in your case, but those on full-fare tickets can select MCE seats regardless elite status.
BrewerSEA is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 7:18 pm
  #850  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,779
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA View Post
An updated chart is available here: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...orld#fareclass

O on AA earns zip to MPC/AM. Changing your FF number at check-in should work fine so as to credit to AA. Do not do this beforehand or you may lose your MCE seat.

The booking class does not matter in your case, but those on full-fare tickets can select MCE seats regardless elite status.
Thanks so much for this extra info and that chart. good to know. So once I book online, I will be able to stragiht away choose MCE seats.

Can I ask how does one try and upsell to a higher booking class? Only way through AA reservations?

Thank you for your help!
CX828 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 7:28 pm
  #851  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
Thanks so much for this extra info and that chart. good to know. So once I book online, I will be able to stragiht away choose MCE seats.

Can I ask how does one try and upsell to a higher booking class? Only way through AA reservations?

Thank you for your help!
To upfare your reservation, simply have it on hold, call AA Reservations, and ask to upfare to the booking code you want. You may then purchase it online to avoid the phone booking fee.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Apr 1, 13 at 7:34 pm
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 8:01 pm
  #852  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,779
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
To upfare your reservation, simply have it on hold, call AA Reservations, and ask to upfare to the booking code you want. You may then purchase it online to avoid the phone booking fee.
Thanks so much for your help! Really useful to know. Much appreciated
CX828 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 13, 11:45 pm
  #853  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum & Hilton HHonors Silver
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by D-Town714 View Post
This is my first time in a premium cabin and have no clue what to expect in terms of perks and services that comes with it. I have moved from Economy to Business with an award upgrade on the new 77W from LAX to LHR. I was wondering if I get any lounge access at LAX or LHR and would like to know what business class basically gives you? Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Ah, a first timer. You're going to have a good time...we all started with our first flight in F and J, and that's how we get addicted.

You'll get the whole business experience of course. Admirals Club access in LAX, Arrivals Lounge (outside security, where you can have a shower and breakfast) access in LHR. Complimentary drinks and meals on the flight. You'll get an amenity kit and slippers. You'll have more attentive service from FAs. There's probably some stuff I missed.

You'll want to take a look at trip reports (FT has a whole forum dedicated to those) for similar flights. AA's 77W is brand new, but there are plenty of pictures of the J seat here and elsewhere on the web. We have a consolidated thread on international business class meals that you should take a look at (AA's int'l J meals are all similar.) Try to find a trip report of an AA XXX-LHR flight. The seat will be the old NGBC seat, but everything else will be mostly the same.

If you need more info or need help finding anything, let us know.
Thanks again for your help. I have just one more question left... for now I'm trying to upgrade my flight home from LHR which is also on the new 77W. The agent says there is not any award space as of now to upgrade from my economy seat but that I could be put on a wait list. I was just wondering what my ballpark chances are of this clearing?

She also told me that I could pay an extra $1,000 each to change my flight which would then be CDG to JFK and then JFK to LAX, all in business class.(CDG is where we are coming from on our way home) I'm not sure if this is worth doing due to my lack of knowledge on business class travel. I really want to try and get back on the 77W in business class but this is my honeymoon and I'm trying to surprise my soon to be wife with business class for the whole trip. Any thoughts?? Thanks again.

Last edited by D-Town714; Apr 1, 13 at 11:55 pm
D-Town714 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 13, 12:17 am
  #854  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by D-Town714 View Post
Thanks again for your help. I have just one more question left... for now I'm trying to upgrade my flight home from LHR which is also on the new 77W. The agent says there is not any award space as of now to upgrade from my economy seat but that I could be put on a wait list. I was just wondering what my ballpark chances are of this clearing?

She also told me that I could pay an extra $1,000 each to change my flight which would then be CDG to JFK and then JFK to LAX, all in business class.(CDG is where we are coming from on our way home) I'm not sure if this is worth doing due to my lack of knowledge on business class travel. I really want to try and get back on the 77W in business class but this is my honeymoon and I'm trying to surprise my soon to be wife with business class for the whole trip. Any thoughts?? Thanks again.
Chances for an upgrade depend on many factors, including day of the week and what time of day. Why don't you tell us exactly what flight you're on? You may get better feedback if you post in our consolidated thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-2013-a.html

You're spending an award upgrade which is 25,000 miles and $350 each, right? That's probably worth less than $1000, but you'll have to decide if a confirmed spot in business is worth that difference. CDG-JFK will be on the 763 (or the 75L, which I see some of), both of which are two class, with NGBC seats in J. But then again, that's a day trip, so having a flat bed to sleep on may not be a priority. JFK-LAX is on the 762, with recliners in J that are quite comfy.

Do you have MCE seats on the 77W? If your LAX-LHR flight doesn't look good for the upgrade, I would switch to the confirmed flight in J, because it's a special occasion and I would want my SO to be happy And assuming the $1000 is an acceptable expense, of course.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 2, 13, 9:13 am
  #855  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,779
AA Connection time JFK

I have got another question, hope no one minds answering

As part of my Proposed LHR-JFK-YYZ trip:

I arrive JFK off AA101 at 13:30 and connect to AA Eagle to YYZ at 14:55
so essentially a International to International connection/domestic connection.

I believe this is within guideline for minimum connection time after what I have read, but in practice is this a safe connection? I am not a US citizen and will be travelling with checked bags. I don't have to change terminal or anything and I can use AApriority security/check-in (not that this helps so much).

Advise on this is appreciated!
Thanks
CX828 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread