Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Question A quick question please

If I book my award tix now for the end of the year, will I be able to add a free qualifying stopover later when availability might pop up for 2014 ?

TIA!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Travelomania
If I book my award tix now for the end of the year, will I be able to add a free qualifying stopover later when availability might pop up for 2014 ?
You can change it, but you will have to pay the $150 award change/redeposit fee since you'll be changing your destination.

Your best bet is to book the stopover now, with the added segment(s) at a random date in the future that has availability. If availability opens up on your preferred date, you can call AA and change for no fee since you're not changing destinations, only dates.

Keep in mind that all travel on an award, including the added segments after the stopover, must take place within 1 year of the original ticketing date.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Many Thanks !

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can change it, but you will have to pay the $150 award change/redeposit fee since you'll be changing your destination.
It would not change the destination.
It's the same routing that would qualify by miles within the rules, but with an added stop-over.

i.e. AKL-HNL//HNL-PDX

Your best bet is to book the stopover now, with the added segment(s) at a random date in the future that has availability. If availability opens up on your preferred date, you can call AA and change for no fee since you're not changing destinations, only dates.
Cannot get random dates right now for 2014, only 330 days out and there's none at the moment.

Keep in mind that all travel on an award, including the added segments after the stopover, must take place within 1 year of the original ticketing date.
^
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:40 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky:20201124
Although there's no meal, there should be some warm nuts and cookies baked on board served.
Better than nothing
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag
Here ya go:

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum, oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire, and customers who have purchased a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive advance complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats. To celebrate the launch of this new seating product, AAdvantage® Gold and oneworld Ruby members will also have complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats through December 31, 2013.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Originally Posted by joejoe666
So if I am plt, I would be put on standby till everyone clear at the gate?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

My interpretation is that MCE seats are treated as another kind of preferred coach seat. If an MCE seat is available when you book a flight, as a PLT, you can select it for free.

If you are going standby onto a flight, if there's one open when you clear, you can get it. Gate agents usually process upgrades to F/J before standbys, so that may open MCE seats that had been occupied. Seat assignments at the gate are under the control of the gate agents, so the process may be done differently at times, but in any case, as a PLT, you shouldn't ever pay a fee for MCE.

If you're confirmed on the flight but no MCE is available, you can request one from the gate agent, but they may or may not accommodate. We've all certainly been brushed off by GA's who are "too busy" to want to deal with seat change requests.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi everyone,
just one simple question... Which one do you think is the best milleage calculator for someone who uses AAdvantage but flights a lot in OneWorld associates?

For instance, i´d like to know something like how many miles does es EZE-MAD-BCN in business? and how many elite status points do i get?

Thanks in advance
M
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mariano
Hi everyone,
just one simple question... Which one do you think is the best milleage calculator for someone who uses AAdvantage but flights a lot in OneWorld associates?

For instance, i´d like to know something like how many miles does es EZE-MAD-BCN in business? and how many elite status points do i get?

Thanks in advance
M
The Great Circle Mapper is pretty good. www.gcmap.com
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by abpat2203
Where can I find this info on my reservation?
As to what meal window you're in? It should be on your e-ticket they send you via e-mail. If you've lost that, you can just search flights on line and they'll indicate what meal window you're in.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Advice on DFW-ICN trip

First time poster, long time lurker TUS-based flyer here. I'm looking for advice on how to get the most out of a planned Business or First Class trip in June on the new DFW route to Seoul (TUS-DFW-ICN). How is biz vs. FC on AA's 777, is it worth it? Should I sign up for a particular credit card to get bonus miles? Will I have any sort of status by the end of this trip? (YTD elite pts 3,427/mi 2,284; miles 18,376).

Any advice would be very helpful. I hope to be able to learn the ways of Flyer Talk and contribute more in the future.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by artgoddess80
First time poster, long time lurker TUS-based flyer here. I'm looking for advice on how to get the most out of a planned Business or First Class trip in June on the new DFW route to Seoul (TUS-DFW-ICN). How is biz vs. FC on AA's 777, is it worth it? Should I sign up for a particular credit card to get bonus miles? Will I have any sort of status by the end of this trip? (YTD elite pts 3,427/mi 2,284; miles 18,376).

Any advice would be very helpful. I hope to be able to learn the ways of Flyer Talk and contribute more in the future.
If you check the FAQ at the top of this forum, where it says "Please check here first", there's a good section on seats.

DFW-ICN will be on the old 772, not the 77W. If you can afford F, it'll be a good step up from J. The 772 has 1-2-1 suites in F, with fully horizontal lie flat beds. In J, it's 2-3-2 NGBC seats which are lie-flat at an incline. You should be able to find pictures online. In F, you should have better service, better food, and better wines.

The base miles on your trip is something like 15,304 EQM. If you're flying in paid F/J, then you'll get almost 23k EQP. Plus the 3.4k EQP you have so far, you should just make Gold when you get back to TUS.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Will I have any sort of status by the end of this trip? (YTD elite pts 3,427/mi 2,284; miles 18,376).
Take a look at challenges if you think you'll be short. Covered in the wiki:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:57 pm

Actually, tom911 makes a good point. You can easily make a PLT challenge with your DFW-ICN flight.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Make sure to sign up for the Seoul bonus offer.
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

May 9, 2013, through August 15, 2013 => 30K bonus miles for paid premium cabin flights DFW-ICN
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Exp BA gold SPG Platinum
I just booked a ticket with ba and although I'm a ba blue I need the eqm for aa to re quality for aa exp.
So I put into the reservation my aa advantage # (I certainly hope that's enough to get the eqm on aa)
But my question is whether there is any benefits I could get as a aa executive platinum on the trip with ba?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks so much
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Alaska Codeshare / Cheaper than AA??

Hi Everyone-
Quick question, is it common for an AA codeshare to be cheaper than the AA price? I'm looking specifically at AUS-LAX 7/13-7/27 (I know, it's early) but the AS price is $372 r/t and the AA price is $422.

Why is that? Is it normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.