Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNL
Yes
Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
500 Mile Upgrade Q

I have booked a domestic flight for February and have requested 500 mile upgrade at time of booking on aa.com.

At time of booking I am Gold status, but by the time I take this flight I will be PLT. Will my new status be reflected in the priority list, or will the system still have me down as GLD, because that was the status I had at time of request?

I am just wondering if I will need to contact AA nearer the time to ensure I have the PLT priority.

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX828
I have booked a domestic flight for February and have requested 500 mile upgrade at time of booking on aa.com.

At time of booking I am Gold status, but by the time I take this flight I will be PLT. Will my new status be reflected in the priority list, or will the system still have me down as GLD, because that was the status I had at time of request?

I am just wondering if I will need to contact AA nearer the time to ensure I have the PLT priority.

Thanks for any help!
The system automatically refreshes the status in your booked PNRs. But a wise traveler will call AA and verify the status is refreshed.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
The system automatically refreshes the status in your booked PNRs. But a wise traveler will call AA and verify the status is refreshed.
Thanks for your advice. Should I be calling to check that my PNR reflects my new PLT status, or be calling to ensure that my upgrade request shows my new PLT status?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 2:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CX828
Thanks for your advice. Should I be calling to check that my PNR reflects my new PLT status, or be calling to ensure that my upgrade request shows my new PLT status?
They are one in the same. Tel the agent you want to make sure your reservation and upgrade request reflect your new status.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Generally this is true, but it may not take in time if your flight is very soon after your status changes. An agent can easily "refresh" your status by removing your FFN and putting it in again. You will retain your original upgrade request time.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
They are one in the same. Tel the agent you want to make sure your reservation and upgrade request reflect your new status.
Thank you! Will make sure to do this, to be sure.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Generally this is true, but it may not take in time if your flight is very soon after your status changes. An agent can easily "refresh" your status by removing your FFN and putting it in again. You will retain your original upgrade request time.
Its no problem, I will hit PLT in 2 weeks, and this flight is not until mid February.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Please help with some clarification.
How can AA still have seats (first domestic)for sale on a particular flight when both their own website and EF show none available. Not blocked but not available? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Plato1
Please help with some clarification.
How can AA still have seats (first domestic)for sale on a particular flight when both their own website and EF show none available. Not blocked but not available? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Common practice to oversell flights that historically show cancellations or no-shows. AA has been keeping stats for a very long time and have been learning what they can expect for just about any given flight.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Common practice to oversell flights that historically show cancellations or no-shows. AA has been keeping stats for a very long time and have been learning what they can expect for just about any given flight.
Interesting. I regularly take a flight with 2 segments, the second segment has gotten upgraded a few days before and the first segment closer to flight time.
This week all the seats are showing booked which is unusual. I just figured I would try to book a first class seat to see what would happen and it did let me.

Thanks for the info
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Common practice to oversell flights that historically show cancellations or no-shows."

Even in First Class? If so, I believe that that's a change from prior practice.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Hi all, I'm interested in booking the following routing on an award ticket. Would this be possible if I called in to make the booking? All connecting flights would need to be < 4 hrs as I understand it. Thanks for the help!!

LIH-HNL (HA)
HNL-LAS (HA)
LAS-DFW (stopover)
DFW - ??? (Would depend on award availability to Europe)
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Common practice to oversell flights that historically show cancellations or no-shows."

Even in First Class? If so, I believe that that's a change from prior practice.
Although the volume is lower for F than Y, I'm sure AA RM has very good numbers to determine how many seats they can sell and how many they may need to actually fly. And, if I recall, there have been (limited) events where an upgrade has been pulled if they get someone willing to pay full fare. More than enough revenue to re-accommodate the pax.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by Nehawk
Hi all, I'm interested in booking the following routing on an award ticket. Would this be possible if I called in to make the booking? All connecting flights would need to be < 4 hrs as I understand it. Thanks for the help!!

LIH-HNL (HA)
HNL-LAS (HA)
LAS-DFW (stopover)
DFW - ??? (Would depend on award availability to Europe)
It's been reported that HA flights between Hawaii and the Mainland cannot be used on awards between Hawaii and Europe. If true, that would put a crimp in your plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.