Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: AA's new identity package / branding, color scheme and logo:
I love it! Innovative, striking!
20.33%
It's OK - I'm warming up to this new look.
29.62%
I'm not feeling much one way or another - it may take time.
9.29%
I think AA could have done better.
20.92%
I really hate this look - what were they thinking?
19.84%
Voters: 1023. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: incognitoMD
American Airlines CEO Tom Horton announced AA's new branding going forward at 10 AM Eastern time 17 Jan 2013. His address about the new branding and 77W color scheme rollout can be seen here. N.B. Watch the entire video and go through the pages to enter a photo contest to win up to 1 million A miles. Also, link to AA news release.

AA now has some Boeing 777-323ER, 777-223ER, 737-823ER and 767-323ER in new livery.

Print Wikipost

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
it looks like something a 1st grader painted and took home to parents that just adored it, but really because it was their child, not because it was a masterpiece.

(I actually like the 'AMERICAN' and eagle logo) it is the tail that is so horrible.

Last edited by Steph3n; Jan 17, 2013 at 9:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Meh, overall it's okay, except the tail which looks horrid. Though the old branding didn't really do anything for me either.

That said, I don't really care...it's not like I make my airfare purchase decisions based on how the logo or paint scheme looks.

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinerep...logo-new-look/

Looks like they have the deliberately-weathered look on the tail. Not sure I like the tail graphic, in general. It's definitely big and bold.

I do like the new logo and font quite a bit, though. Way better than UA's CO-style logo, imo. Wonder when they'll be updating the website.

The new look is meant to make the outside of American's planes "reflect the progress we've made on the inside," said CEO Tom Horton in a video announcement.

The look is meant to be light, vibrant and modern, he said.
Our new logo and livery are designed to reflect the passion for progress and the soaring spirit, which is uniquely American,” said Virasb Vahidi, American’s Chief Commercial Officer. “Our core colors — red, white and blue – have been updated to reflect a more vibrant and welcoming spirit. The new tail, with stripes flying proudly, is a bold reflection of American’s origin and name. And our new flight symbol, an updated eagle, incorporates the many icons that people have come to associate with American, including the ‘A’ and the star.”

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jan 17, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL
Getting network errors when trying to see anything past the 1st videos..
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:33 am
hmv

Futurebrand was responsible for the rebranding. Apparently, they have been working together with British Airways since the 80s..

IAG and/or US Airways buying a stake in the new AA?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic
It's here... and it's happening at 10 EST today!

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Aeroflot upon seeing the new livery?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:34 am
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
I was on board with logo and eagle icon ... simple, elegant ... the tail didn't work for met at first glance, but as many have said already, it grew on me and I actually like it. It reminds me of what BA did with the Union Jack on their tail. What I'm now starting to NOT like is the logotype on the fuselage. Does anyone else see eyes in the m? Kind of like a Kilroy was here graphic? It's REALLY busy. Maybe it looked better in the CGI with a lighter grey but I think they need to do something to better contrast the American type.
SK

Smile Good

B for the tail, A- for the rest. Overall, I like it.
Looks better in the photo, compared to the drawings.
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
Any idea if they are going to send out new cards/tags? or would this be for new requals at the end of 2013?
The rollout of our new look will take time. We hope to have these available soon!

Programs: Airplanes!
I love the logo!

...Then when saw the tail I thought it was really ugly. I was expecting something more sleek. But the more I look at it, the more I think I think it's actually not that bad.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm betting the tail design never makes it to the end of the run where all planes in the fleet have been repainted. At some point in the future, the AA fleet will have three liveries in operation: Classic, Modern Failure and Modern Revised.

I for one dislike the tail, although the real thing does look much better than the CGI.
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I think it looks awesome! ^

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CanesLawMarty
Am I the only one who immediately thought of Aeroflot upon seeing the new livery?
Really? Aeroflot is actually quite nice, the movement of the flag flowing and the grey finish on the body are very elegant
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:36 am

I like it a lot. Very modern and forward looking. Good job, AA!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:36 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3 million, IHG RA, United, Delta
Logo is ok, but I agree that the tail is terrible. Wish AA had spent the money that this new design cost and used it toward finding out what passengers (especially elite members) really want. Or maybe spend the money on fixing AA.Com. Very disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.