Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by FrankReynolds
I posted here a few weeks ago about a potential business class one-year RTW trip I was planning using AA miles. Thanks to the extremely helpful advice of some of the people here I was able to refine and improve my itinerary a lot. Here's my final draft:

JFK - MAD
MAD - JNB
JNB - HKG
HKG - PEK
PEK - NRT
NRT - DEL
DEL - BKK
BKK - SYD
SYD - LAX
LAX - SCL
SCL - RGL (surface segment)
RGL - EZE
EZE - GRU
GRU - LIM
LIM - JFK

The total trip mileage is 49,524 miles according to the Great Circle Mapper. (Not counting the land segment between Santiago and Rio Gallegos... but that doesn't count as part of the 50,000 mile maximum, unless I'm mistaken).

(Here's a map of the route I'm planning)

Currently, I have 213,000 AA miles in my account, from a combination of inheriting them and taking advantage of a credit card bonus offer. I'm waiting for the 7,000 miles I just bought (for $200! a ripoff... but a necessary one) to post to my account, but once they do I'm planning to go ahead and call AA to book my ticket, with a departure date of late March. Can anybody see any glaring problems that would invalidate this itinerary, or do you think I can go ahead and book it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

- Alex
The itinerary seems to comply with oneworld award rules. Whether you will be able to obtain award seats on every flight remains to be seen.

Does LAN now fly RGL-EZE, or only RGL-AEP?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The itinerary seems to comply with oneworld award rules. Whether you will be able to obtain award seats on every flight remains to be seen.

Does LAN now fly RGL-EZE, or only RGL-AEP?
My mistake, it looks like it's RGL-AEP after all.

So far I have been successful in finding award seats for the first few legs of the trip on IB, CX, and JL using the QF and BA websites. However, I haven't found any J availability for QF11 from SYD to LAX in December 2012. I know this is a notoriously difficult flight to get... would I be better off booking in economy now and checking back to see if a business class seat opens up closer to my travel date? Or is there no hope of that happening at all?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just making sure that I have read the rules correctly and this itinerary would NOT be allowed?:

LGW-BGI
BGI-MIA
MIA-LIM
land segment
GRU-JFK
JFK-HKG
HKG-TPE
TPE-HKG
HKG-DPS

i.e. origin and destination are different and there is a land segment

??
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:23 pm
Suspended

You are right. It would not be allowed because it has 2 open jaws. Only 1 is permitted.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are my options with a schedule change? I have booked for 2 peopel, all in biz-

LAX-AKL, spend two nights
AKL-SYD, spend 5 nights
SYD-HKG, spend 4 nights
HKG-LAX

Qantas has canclled their direct LAX-AKL flight, making for a connection from LAX-SYD-AKL and pretty much killing our first day in AKL. Now debating whether the AKL stop is even worth it with our limited time. If I wanted to change and drop AKL altogether, should this be allowed? Or change to spend the 5 nights in SYD first:

LAX-SYD, spend 5 nights
SYD-AKL, spend 2 nights
AKL-SYD-HKG, spend 4 nights
HKG-LAX
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
...Or change to spend the 5 nights in SYD first:
LAX-SYD, spend 5 nights
SYD-AKL, spend 2 nights
AKL-SYD-HKG, spend 4 nights
HKG-LAX
And maybe ask for the CX flight AKL-HKG, instead of the AKL-SYD-HK
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:06 pm

Is it possible to make changes to the routing/airline (for a fee of course) after legs have been flown?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by pogonation
Is it possible to make changes to the routing/airline (for a fee of course) after legs have been flown?
No
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
No
Hmm.

I have all the legs of the itinerary available except one HKG-LHR at the end of the trip. There is nothing for HKG-Europe (or BKK/SIN etc -Europe) 2 weeks either side of my desired date in August, but I was thinking that if I booked HKG-LHR for any date in the future and then waited for 2 seats to open up between now and then (even until the day before travel in the worst case scenario) then this might work. It would have been nice to be able to change to HKG-FRA/AMS/CDG etc. just incase.

Do you think it is risky to book an itinerary and wait all the way up until the day before for 2 F seats to open on HKG-LHR???? There are 2 dates we could potentially fly HKG-LHR...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
Hmm.

I have all the legs of the itinerary available except one HKG-LHR at the end of the trip. There is nothing for HKG-Europe (or BKK/SIN etc -Europe) 2 weeks either side of my desired date in August, but I was thinking that if I booked HKG-LHR for any date in the future and then waited for 2 seats to open up between now and then (even until the day before travel in the worst case scenario) then this might work. It would have been nice to be able to change to HKG-FRA/AMS/CDG etc. just incase.

Do you think it is risky to book an itinerary and wait all the way up until the day before for 2 F seats to open on HKG-LHR???? There are 2 dates we could potentially fly HKG-LHR...
I don't have any idea about availability on that specific route. My recommendation would be to search availability on that route (using KVS or a similar tool) for the next week. If you see tons of availability for the next week then you may feel comfortable that they will open up seats at the last minute. I would also cross reference your dates with peak season schedule and/or any holidays that may fall around your dates. If you are hoping for seats to open up in the middle of peak season or around a big holiday you may be out of luck.

I had the exact same question for HKG-YVR on CX in early April and there are no seats avail anywhere close to the dates I need. BUT, I searched avail for the next week and they had J seats 6 out of 7 days so I am comfortable taking the risk that they will open up seats shortly before departure and I can switch my dates to the ones I need.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
I don't have any idea about availability on that specific route. My recommendation would be to search availability on that route (using KVS or a similar tool) for the next week. If you see tons of availability for the next week then you may feel comfortable that they will open up seats at the last minute. I would also cross reference your dates with peak season schedule and/or any holidays that may fall around your dates. If you are hoping for seats to open up in the middle of peak season or around a big holiday you may be out of luck.

I had the exact same question for HKG-YVR on CX in early April and there are no seats avail anywhere close to the dates I need. BUT, I searched avail for the next week and they had J seats 6 out of 7 days so I am comfortable taking the risk that they will open up seats shortly before departure and I can switch my dates to the ones I need.
Already Took a look and in the next few days most days have around 10 F seats available which makes me feel a bit more confident.

My dates are around 29th August - 30th August (most UK schools and HKG schools (not universities) go back on around 4th/5th September). Apparently peak season in HKG is Fall and Spring.

It's a hard choice to make
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

But the number of seats assigned already or the number of revenue seats still available has little correlation with award availability. If you're going to use the questionable tactic of inferring what will happen next year from what is happening now, at least compare apples to apples.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
But the number of seats assigned already or the number of revenue seats still available has little correlation with award availability. If you're going to use the questionable tactic of inferring what will happen next year from what is happening now, at least compare apples to apples.
+1

The # of revenue seats is not a useful proxy for award availability
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There are 10 F award seats available on some of the next few days is what I meant e.g. 27th = 9 CX F awards, 28th =11 CX F awards, 24th 3 CX F awards.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by FrankReynolds
So far I have been successful in finding award seats for the first few legs of the trip on IB, CX, and JL using the QF and BA websites. However, I haven't found any J availability for QF11 from SYD to LAX in December 2012. I know this is a notoriously difficult flight to get... would I be better off booking in economy now and checking back to see if a business class seat opens up closer to my travel date? Or is there no hope of that happening at all?
Any thoughts? My alternative (possibly better) idea was to fly QF27 from SYD - SCL since I'm going to South America anyway, however I can't seem to find any J award availability for this flight at all, ever.

Also, do you think it makes any sense to break the trip up into two separate oneworld awards? I could do the first section (Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia) in under 35,000 miles and therefore for only 190,000 points in J. I could then do the South American section for 90,000 points... which would give me more time in each place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.