Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Is it true that if you are booked in biz, and want to down convert to econ you have to pay a fee?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:53 am
Suspended

You cannot convert a business class oneworld award to an economy class oneworld award. You would have to cancel the first award, redeposit the miles (and pay the redeposit fee if you are not EXP), and then book the second award from scratch.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Austinrunner

Award tickets that include one or more British Airways (BA) flights are not "free" for purposes of the above taxes, fees, and charges. This is because BA imposes a significant, sometimes expensive, fuel surcharge (YQ) on award tickets. This results in XF, ZP, and US being charged on those tickets as if they were paid tickets (in addition to AY, XA, XY, and YC).
Is this true even if my only BA flights are intra-europe (LHR-ATH-LHR to be specific) and have only $80 in YQ?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Well, if your itinerary doesn't touch the USA, you will not be paying USA taxes, fees, etc.

If your itinerary touches the USA, you will pay USA taxes, fees, etc. as if you had purchased a revenue ticket, regardless of whether any of your BA flights involve the USA.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:22 pm

Well, if your itinerary doesn't touch the USA, you will not be paying USA taxes, fees, etc.
I have US segments, here's my itinerary: DCA-DFW-SFO-LAX-HNL-KIX-NRT-MNL-HKG-HAN-HKG-JFK-LHR-ATH-LHR-JFK-DCA

The trans-atlantic flights are on AA, so my only BA metal is the LHR-ATH-LHR.

So I was wondering if those 2 small BA segments will trigger XF, ZP, and US on the AA US segments

ETA: Just saw the portion of your response that you added, that answers my question. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:27 pm
Suspended

I already answered that question. The answer is "yes."
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:06 pm

In the process of booking my ticket I have learned a couple things that contradict your sticky:

1. The co-terminals you have listed are NOT the only ones that can be used when booking this ticket. For example I was told KIX, ITM & UKB are co-terminals for Osaka.
2. The maximum permitted hold time when booking an award with a departure less than 14 days out is till 11:59PM of the following day. For example I just put my award on hold today Saturday 2.25 and my hold expires tomorrow Sunday 2.26 at 11:59PM

I realize that there is a possibility I was dealing with agent(s) that were providing me with incorrect information but I heard the 2 points listed above from multiple people (one of which was a pretty knowledgeable supervisor) so it may behoove you to look into them further and update the sticky if necessary
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:25 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
From my recent observation of AsiaMiles Award system following a system change, they appear to have taken an leaf out of JL's Book and severely restrict F and J awards between HKG and Europe until 7 days out.

There is now an ability for CX members only to wait-list for any future date but this facility is not available for other OW Members. Assuming they are following the same procedure as JL, they appear to confirm their own Members off wait-list very quickly if there is inventory.

This of course means other OW FF wanting to fly F or J have to book coach/economy and hope for Good Fortune 7 days out.

This is leading to more awards on BA who are not being so prohibitive ex HKG.

So far I cannot see it has evolved onto TransPac Services so hopefully it is just a Test Run.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HoKo
The co-terminals you have listed are NOT the only ones that can be used when booking this ticket. For example I was told KIX, ITM & UKB are co-terminals for Osaka.
Which oneworld airlines currently serve UKB, if any?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UncleDude
From my recent observation of AsiaMiles Award system following a system change, they appear to have taken an leaf out of JL's Book and severely restrict F and J awards between HKG and Europe until 7 days out.

There is now an ability for CX members only to wait-list for any future date but this facility is not available for other OW Members. Assuming they are following the same procedure as JL, they appear to confirm their own Members off wait-list very quickly if there is inventory.

This of course means other OW FF wanting to fly F or J have to book coach/economy and hope for Good Fortune 7 days out.

So far I cannot see it has evolved onto TransPac Services so hopefully it is just a Test Run.
Shouldn't this be in the CX award availability thread?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:57 am

Which oneworld airlines currently serve UKB, if any?
Austin, I don't understand why you are so aggressive on this thread? I provided 2 data points that will help people book future OW tickets.

Instead of thanking me and adding them to the sticky you have chosen to nit-pick one aspect of my data point that in the grand scheme of things is largely irrelevant.

If you want to play the game of who is right and who is wrong how about this:

You have said 5 day hold is guaranteed: WRONG, this is only the case if booking a ticket more than 14 days out

You have said KIX, ITM, and UKB are not considered co-terminals for this award: WRONG, They are indeed considered co-terminals according to multiple agents and a supervisor that I checked with. UKB may not be serviced by any OW airlines but KIX and ITM certainly are, therefore this information is relevant for people booking tickets through Osaka

I can very easily prove you wrong and denigrate the information you have provided, but I don't think that is constructive so I would appreciate it if you would lighten up

We are all on the same team, the point of this thread is to help people learn about and ultimately book OW tickets, therefore wouldn't it make sense for you, the creator of this thread, to welcome additional info that increases the accuracy of the information you are providing?

You told me that a 5 day hold is guaranteed, no matter the circumstances. This information was not correct. That's fine, I realize you are trying your hardest to provide accurate info. But don't attack me when I provide information that proves you wrong. Welcome the correction and move on amicably.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:00 am
Suspended

I don't "guarantee" anything to anyone here. There are several reasons for that. The most obvious is that I am not an AA representative. Another example is that AA can change the rules at anytime, without advance notice. A third example is that many of the rules are not published. The agents you talked with might be right about the hold period. I didn't tell you those agents are wrong. I said the sticky is up-to-date, which fact is based on the experiences we flyertalk members have had. I rarely change the sticky based on one member's experience, for several reasons that have proven to be advisable over the last 7 years. And just FYI, I constantly change the sticky as circumstances dictate. So, there's really no profit in being angry or frustrated with me.

Regardless of what an AA agent told you, UKB is irrelevant for this particular thread unless a oneworld airline serves UKB. When you first brought up the issue, I researched it and could not find any evidence of current oneworld service to UKB. But I thought you might know of one, which is why I asked you the question. There are co-terminals for some purposes and not for others. The published AA oneworld award rules (linked in the sticky) apparently recognize the fact of no-oneworld-service by not listing UKB as an Osaka co-terminal.

Hope that explains things better. Best.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:43 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Shouldn't this be in the CX award availability thread?
Why?. The new restrictions have little effect on CX Members it's aimed at preventing the much coveted F and J awards for other OW redeemers.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:59 am
Suspended

As in AA all-partner and oneworld awards? I presume this is why we have a general thread (more than 1, actually) in this American AAdvantage forum about using AA miles to redeem awards on CX flights.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UncleDude

I noticed this too and it has really put a spanner in the works for my plans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.