Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:25 am

Hmmm...NO

But have you decided to only travel in the USA to show your support, never travelling, phoning, or buying anything from outside the US. No watching movies, listening to music, etc.

Perhaps the poster just likes to stir things up but this is not a question when it's phrased the way you asked it; we obviously know how you feel.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Originally Posted by new2japan
'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Get your posts in quickly as the corporate interests that advertise here are having posts and threads like this removed quickly.
They aren´t any more amazing than the Airbus´s. You might want to return from Japan Mr. Homebody.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by maclover
European carriers buy american aircrafts...
Or should I boycott BA because they fly Boeing widebodies only?
Personally I was hoping AA go "all Boeing" but its not a big deal one bit if AA got a good deal from Airbus. I recently flew on EY's A346 and A320 and I've flown on EK's A332 too many times to remember.

That being said, I wasn't happy that some in the French Govt. have recently threatened Air France to purchase the Airbus A350XWB. They also threatened AF to purchase the A346, which of course, AF didn't but rather the B77W.

I do think AF will get the A350XWB (though the majority will be Boeing 787's IMHO), not because of the threats but because its a plane they actually need.

For my choices its:

1)OneWorld to get AA miles, lounges, etc. or AA EQM/EQP's from say EY, AS, etc.
2)I happen to love the B777's so I do make a choice here as my second choice.
3)Price.
4)Total trip time.

#2-#3-#4 do vary, no fixed rules there.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
So does that mean that British Airways and Air France should not use Boeing?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Personally I was hoping AA go "all Boeing" but its not a big deal one bit if AA got a good deal from Airbus.
I am more of a fan of Boeing, but if AA got a good deal with Airbus I applaud them for making the best business decision. Both makers produce very good aircraft, and I think that it is in the best interest of all carriers worldwide that Airbus and Boeing compete.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Well, the OP needs to do some additional reading to understand WHY AA ordered BOTH Boeing and Airbus. A very good article can be found here:

http://bloom.bg/qILXtF

A number of factors are listed: financing, leasing, and delivery schedule. Neither of the two manufactureres could produce planes at the rate AA wants to replace their fleet. Also AA is saddled with debt and an aging fleet.

However, I think this is all mysteriously tied to the decision to have Coke Light instead of Diet Coke. The conspiracy is far bigger than we know....
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:39 am

It doesn't matter. Most of America belongs to China already, so everything is un-American, err... Chinese! Long live Mao!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, AMX Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
No. Making good business decisions is what the global shareholders of AA stock require.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Well, let's suspend logic and proper use of analogies for a moment to analyze the text below:

Originally Posted by new2japan
No, I didn't. The bulk was for European planes. The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking. It's not a political question, it's a question of how people make their buying decisions for a particular airline. It's no different than if I were asking if people would spend less money with AA when they removed their more room throughout coach policy.
Yeah, no. Your original post actually used the term "anti-American"--which is by definition a political term. While America can in fact also refer to a geographical region, you used the term to refer to a socio-political organization. Asking people if they would fly if there was less room in coach would--while not being a particularly interesting or enlightening question--at least be a politically-neutral question.

Your question, while much more interesting than the question in your failed analogy, is more closely akin to this one: are we all protectionists? An even better question, of course, is this: would we prefer American Airlines continue to fly older, less efficient planes longer so that we can be assured that they will all be produced by Boeing? I for one am happy that the fleet will be updated much more quickly--and yes, this assumes that Boeing would not have the capacity to fill American's FULL order with only Boeing craft--they don't. I'll bet you dollars to pesos they actually don't fill the order they got on time.

So to answer your question: I couldn't care less where the planes come from. If they're newer, safer, and more environmentally friendly, I've checked off three boxes that I care about--all of which could not be checked if all the new planes were coming from Boeing--speaking of which, still waiting for my first ride on the 787--which was supposed to happen what, two years ago?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Gee, American Eagle, AA's regional subsidiary has been flying Canadian and Brazilian planes too. They must be un-American!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by flyer121
So does that mean that British Airways and Air France should not use Boeing?
I guess British Airways should have hung onto its Vickers Viscounts and Hawker-Siddeley Tridents. Air France should be making do with Dassault Mercures. Everybody into their own corner.

That's not how this planet runs anymore.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened to "all people are the same to God"?

Do Airbus employees have a lesser right to their paycheck?

This thread title is so wrong on so many moral grounds it's quite scary.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:26 pm

I simply refuse to risk my life by flying in an Airbus aircraft. They have a proven disaster-record, and my life is too valuable to set foot in one of those death traps.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
After careful review, this thread will remain closed since it does not pertain to the focus of the AA Forum, which is helping other members maximize their AA travel and/or mileage earning/burning experiences, but is rather a political discussion about corporate business decisions, protectionism, global trade, etc.

All members are reminded that the volunteer moderators are here to facilitate the smooth operation of the AA Forum and of FlyerTalk in general. We are NOT here to restrict your right to express your opinions. However, for the benefit of all FlyerTalk members, those opinions must be expressed in the proper venue that has been established specifically to entertain those discussions, OMNI/PR. Members are also required under the TOS to express their opinions in a respectful manner to other members.

Personal Attacks - link to this guideline
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Attacks against groups or classes of job holders (such as Transportation Security Administration employees) will not be tolerated.

Do not retaliate or respond to a personal attack. Too often, when an initial attack is made, others join the fray and, instead of becoming part of the solution, become part of the problem. Do not accuse others of being trolls. Should there be members whose posts you don't care to read, you can put them on your ignore list. To do that, click on MyFlyerTalk and then on Edit Ignore List in the Settings & Options section on the left-hand side of the page. Enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in the Add a Member to Your List field. Click the Okay button, then click the Save Changes button.

If you feel that you are being attacked or harassed, contact a moderator.
/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.