FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1250812-aas-anti-american-decision-buy-euro-planes-making-you-fly-elsewhere.html)

new2japan Aug 23, 2011 10:07 am

Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere?

'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Phasers Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?

dyrewolf31 Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by new2japan (Post 16978204)
'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

LOL is all I got

emma dog Aug 23, 2011 10:13 am

Doesn't matter. AA flee the A300 until a couple years ago. And a good chunk o the 787 is made in Europe and Japan.

mosquito Aug 23, 2011 10:14 am

To answer your question: No.

BlassSJU Aug 23, 2011 10:14 am

Here we go...

sonofzeus Aug 23, 2011 10:15 am

The country of origin of their planes hasn't influenced my antipathy toward AA.

new2japan Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 16978233)
Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?

No, I didn't. The bulk was for European planes. The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking. It's not a political question, it's a question of how people make their buying decisions for a particular airline. It's no different than if I were asking if people would spend less money with AA when they removed their more room throughout coach policy.

pkerr Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

So having an Accord in my garage and a Sony TV in my living room makes me anti-american? Arrrgggg.... death to amerika. Oh wait that's a pirate arrggg. Sorry.

maclover Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

European carriers buy american aircrafts...
Or should I boycott BA because they fly Boeing widebodies only? :confused:

farrish11 Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

Originally Posted by new2japan (Post 16978204)
I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Buying the Airbus aircraft was a very American thing to do... making the best business decision regardless of national origin and other nonsense. AA is a business, not an arm of the United Nations. I think the same way when buying flights. I don't care what country's metal (or composites) I'm flying, as long I'm getting the best bang for my buck on the flight (factoring in price, AAdvantage, schedule, amenities, etc.).

ejh25 Aug 23, 2011 10:20 am

Is this Fox News?

Learn how to phrase a question without introducing bias.

InfiniteCycle Aug 23, 2011 10:21 am

Oh get over it.

Protectionism, blind patriotism and not looking beyond your borders is a path to bankruptcy (look at the US car manufacturers).

British Airways are the largest operator of 747s. Perhaps the rest of the World should stop buying Boeing in response to your politics? After all, if US airlines shouldn't purchase from outside the US, why should any non US airlines purchase from the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

mikeef Aug 23, 2011 10:26 am

IBTL.

Absolutely. I'm switching all of my Trans-Atlantic flying to Southwest, which uses Boeing planes.

In addition, I have decided to stop eating French Fries, English Muffins and Canadian Bacon.

Mike

BearX220 Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

If a US carrier buying and flying Airbus offends you, you should have boycotted AA starting in the '70s or '80s when the A300 was on strength in big numbers. You should also have stayed off UA starting in the '80s when they went for the A320, and UA and NW more recently for choosing the A330 over the B767, and... on and on.

It's arguable that AA splitting the order between Airbus and Boeing is a gift to American interests as it keeps Boeing competitive.

Do you penalize yourself because the computer you wrote that post on was made in China or Taiwan?

For goodness' sakes.