FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1250812-aas-anti-american-decision-buy-euro-planes-making-you-fly-elsewhere.html)

new2japan Aug 23, 2011 10:07 am

Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere?

'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Phasers Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?

dyrewolf31 Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by new2japan (Post 16978204)
'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

LOL is all I got

emma dog Aug 23, 2011 10:13 am

Doesn't matter. AA flee the A300 until a couple years ago. And a good chunk o the 787 is made in Europe and Japan.

mosquito Aug 23, 2011 10:14 am

To answer your question: No.

BlassSJU Aug 23, 2011 10:14 am

Here we go...

sonofzeus Aug 23, 2011 10:15 am

The country of origin of their planes hasn't influenced my antipathy toward AA.

new2japan Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Phasers (Post 16978233)
Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?

No, I didn't. The bulk was for European planes. The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking. It's not a political question, it's a question of how people make their buying decisions for a particular airline. It's no different than if I were asking if people would spend less money with AA when they removed their more room throughout coach policy.

pkerr Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

So having an Accord in my garage and a Sony TV in my living room makes me anti-american? Arrrgggg.... death to amerika. Oh wait that's a pirate arrggg. Sorry.

maclover Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

European carriers buy american aircrafts...
Or should I boycott BA because they fly Boeing widebodies only? :confused:

farrish11 Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Buying the Airbus aircraft was a very American thing to do... making the best business decision regardless of national origin and other nonsense. AA is a business, not an arm of the United Nations. I think the same way when buying flights. I don't care what country's metal (or composites) I'm flying, as long I'm getting the best bang for my buck on the flight (factoring in price, AAdvantage, schedule, amenities, etc.).

ejh25 Aug 23, 2011 10:20 am

Is this Fox News?

Learn how to phrase a question without introducing bias.

InfiniteCycle Aug 23, 2011 10:21 am

Oh get over it.

Protectionism, blind patriotism and not looking beyond your borders is a path to bankruptcy (look at the US car manufacturers).

British Airways are the largest operator of 747s. Perhaps the rest of the World should stop buying Boeing in response to your politics? After all, if US airlines shouldn't purchase from outside the US, why should any non US airlines purchase from the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

mikeef Aug 23, 2011 10:26 am

IBTL.

Absolutely. I'm switching all of my Trans-Atlantic flying to Southwest, which uses Boeing planes.

In addition, I have decided to stop eating French Fries, English Muffins and Canadian Bacon.

Mike

BearX220 Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

If a US carrier buying and flying Airbus offends you, you should have boycotted AA starting in the '70s or '80s when the A300 was on strength in big numbers. You should also have stayed off UA starting in the '80s when they went for the A320, and UA and NW more recently for choosing the A330 over the B767, and... on and on.

It's arguable that AA splitting the order between Airbus and Boeing is a gift to American interests as it keeps Boeing competitive.

Do you penalize yourself because the computer you wrote that post on was made in China or Taiwan?

For goodness' sakes.

InfiniteCycle Aug 23, 2011 10:32 am

Isn't it, in fact, more patriotic to purchase Airbus?

The Boeing offerings aren't as fuel efficient, which would, in turn, increase the USA's reliance of foreign oil, making the US less of a power in the world and in the long-term trevialising the miniscule outlay for the non US aircraft?

I think they strengthened America. :D

sluggoaafa Aug 23, 2011 10:34 am

haha...makes ya wonder where the computer/laptop/monitor/mouse/keyboard was made/manufactured that the OP used to type the post. I never knew there was a HUGE Intel chip manufacture in Costa Rica.

WChou Aug 23, 2011 10:39 am

Oxygen deprivation from standing on such a high horse has clouded your ability to make rational decisions. It's called globalization, accept it. The most "American" car is made by a Japanese company while many "American" companies outsource their manufacturing overseas. Guess AA shouldn't purchase 787s because of Japanese wings, Italian tails, German seats, French landing gear, and British engines.

gegarrenton Aug 23, 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 16978337)
IBTL.

Absolutely. I'm switching all of my Trans-Atlantic flying to Southwest, which uses Boeing planes.

In addition, I have decided to stop eating French Fries, English Muffins and Canadian Bacon.

Mike

ahahahahahaha....:D

And for what it's worth, I don't even like Airbus planes, but that has f#!@ all to do with where they are made!

This thread made me LOL....

Gamecock Aug 23, 2011 10:44 am

:rolleyes:

JohnnyColombia Aug 23, 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by new2japan (Post 16978268)
The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking.

Actually it doesn't, it asks a rather stupid question that some stupid people have already been asking.

Airbus USA directly supports over 120,000 US workers, add to that Honeywell avionics etc. A new Airbus A320 is about 50% American

Constrastingly the new B787 if they ever manage to launch it will be the most outsourced aircraft ever built. Your ill aligned patriotism though will do wonders for Turkey and Japan.

Is it not also time for AA to also retire their old American FA's to the desert and upgrade to some shiny new European cabin crew too?

guv1976 Aug 23, 2011 10:51 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I wonder where the OP was when AA flew BAC 1-11's? :D

zman Aug 23, 2011 10:54 am

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle (Post 16978382)
Isn't it, in fact, more patriotic to purchase Airbus?

The Boeing offerings aren't as fuel efficient, which would, in turn, increase the USA's reliance of foreign oil, making the US less of a power in the world and in the long-term trevialising the miniscule outlay for the non US aircraft?

I think they strengthened America. :D

Depending on routes/duration/configuration 737-800 is suppose to be more fuel efficient per mile per passenger than a A320, Same for 737-700 vs A319.
The non existant A320 NEO is suppose to be much more efficient than a 737-800 or an A320 NON NEO. The 737 version of NEO is a big ???????.
A lot of the procurement decisons are being based on availability due to the backlog. Either plane is more efficient then the replacements.

djk7 Aug 23, 2011 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 16978337)

Trying to avoid US airlines that fly Airbus is going to leave the OP with a pretty short list. As mentioned, Southwest. Airtran, which is being bought out by Southwest. CO, which is merging with UA (which uses Airbus). And if you include regionals and expand your xenophobic bias outside of just Airbus, CO uses Canadian, Brazilian and Swedish planes already, so that leaves the OP as a Southwest flyer only.

Japhydog Aug 23, 2011 11:07 am

This thread is almost as good as the "American is awful because they only had Coke Lite instead of Coke Zero on my flight!" ^

firstglobal Aug 23, 2011 11:08 am

Many people are expecting that American's A320neo frames will be assembled in Mobile, although I doubt that changes anything for the rabidly xenophobic protectionist crowd.

pkerr Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Japhydog (Post 16978627)
This thread is almost as good as the "American is awful because they only had Coke Lite instead of Coke Zero on my flight!" ^

What?!?!?! Say it isn't so!

MrPink Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Did we step into freeper territory by accident?

How about that virgin america? I bet *none* of the staff are virgins!

Alaska Airlines in Seattle and making a push to Hawaii?! What a world.

brp Aug 23, 2011 11:19 am

Oh yeah, my answer: I couldn't give a rat's butt about where they get the planes.

Cheers.

Stripy Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

I was going to let the "un-American" purchase of Airbus planes go....but then I got a British FA on an American flight (imagine my horror!)....that sent me over the edge... no more AA! You've gone too far giving foreigners jobs on your planes! :rolleyes:

LovePrunes Aug 23, 2011 11:25 am

Hmmm...NO

But have you decided to only travel in the USA to show your support, never travelling, phoning, or buying anything from outside the US. No watching movies, listening to music, etc.

Perhaps the poster just likes to stir things up but this is not a question when it's phrased the way you asked it; we obviously know how you feel.

parvez Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

Get your posts in quickly as the corporate interests that advertise here are having posts and threads like this removed quickly.

They arenīt any more amazing than the Airbusīs. You might want to return from Japan Mr. Homebody.

Jacobin777 Aug 23, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by maclover (Post 16978284)
European carriers buy american aircrafts...
Or should I boycott BA because they fly Boeing widebodies only? :confused:

Personally I was hoping AA go "all Boeing" but its not a big deal one bit if AA got a good deal from Airbus. I recently flew on EY's A346 and A320 and I've flown on EK's A332 too many times to remember.

That being said, I wasn't happy that some in the French Govt. have recently threatened Air France to purchase the Airbus A350XWB. They also threatened AF to purchase the A346, which of course, AF didn't but rather the B77W.

I do think AF will get the A350XWB (though the majority will be Boeing 787's IMHO), not because of the threats but because its a plane they actually need.

For my choices its:

1)OneWorld to get AA miles, lounges, etc. or AA EQM/EQP's from say EY, AS, etc.
2)I happen to love the B777's so I do make a choice here as my second choice.
3)Price.
4)Total trip time.

#2-#3-#4 do vary, no fixed rules there.

flyer121 Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

So does that mean that British Airways and Air France should not use Boeing?

MikeFromTokyo Aug 23, 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 (Post 16978796)
Personally I was hoping AA go "all Boeing" but its not a big deal one bit if AA got a good deal from Airbus.

I am more of a fan of Boeing, but if AA got a good deal with Airbus I applaud them for making the best business decision. Both makers produce very good aircraft, and I think that it is in the best interest of all carriers worldwide that Airbus and Boeing compete.

LookingAhead Aug 23, 2011 11:38 am

Well, the OP needs to do some additional reading to understand WHY AA ordered BOTH Boeing and Airbus. A very good article can be found here:

http://bloom.bg/qILXtF

A number of factors are listed: financing, leasing, and delivery schedule. Neither of the two manufactureres could produce planes at the rate AA wants to replace their fleet. Also AA is saddled with debt and an aging fleet.

However, I think this is all mysteriously tied to the decision to have Coke Light instead of Diet Coke. The conspiracy is far bigger than we know....

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Aug 23, 2011 11:39 am

It doesn't matter. Most of America belongs to China already, so everything is un-American, err... Chinese! Long live Mao! :D

MSPpete Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am

No. Making good business decisions is what the global shareholders of AA stock require.

bts09 Aug 23, 2011 11:51 am

Well, let's suspend logic and proper use of analogies for a moment to analyze the text below:

Originally Posted by new2japan (Post 16978268)
No, I didn't. The bulk was for European planes. The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking. It's not a political question, it's a question of how people make their buying decisions for a particular airline. It's no different than if I were asking if people would spend less money with AA when they removed their more room throughout coach policy.

Yeah, no. Your original post actually used the term "anti-American"--which is by definition a political term. While America can in fact also refer to a geographical region, you used the term to refer to a socio-political organization. Asking people if they would fly if there was less room in coach would--while not being a particularly interesting or enlightening question--at least be a politically-neutral question.

Your question, while much more interesting than the question in your failed analogy, is more closely akin to this one: are we all protectionists? An even better question, of course, is this: would we prefer American Airlines continue to fly older, less efficient planes longer so that we can be assured that they will all be produced by Boeing? I for one am happy that the fleet will be updated much more quickly--and yes, this assumes that Boeing would not have the capacity to fill American's FULL order with only Boeing craft--they don't. I'll bet you dollars to pesos they actually don't fill the order they got on time.

So to answer your question: I couldn't care less where the planes come from. If they're newer, safer, and more environmentally friendly, I've checked off three boxes that I care about--all of which could not be checked if all the new planes were coming from Boeing--speaking of which, still waiting for my first ride on the 787--which was supposed to happen what, two years ago?

kebosabi Aug 23, 2011 11:59 am

Gee, American Eagle, AA's regional subsidiary has been flying Canadian and Brazilian planes too. They must be un-American! :rolleyes: