Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is AA's anti-American decision to buy Euro planes making you fly elsewhere?

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.

Last edited by dstan; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm Reason: innaccurate meta discussion redacted
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by new2japan
'American' recently announced a huge order of European aircraft. In doing so, they sent 10's of thousands of American jobs to Europe during the biggest financial crisis in this country's history. You could even at this point call them European Airlines.

I'm wondering if this anti-American approach is causing anyone to bring their business elsewhere. I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.
LOL is all I got

Last edited by dstan; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm Reason: redacted quote of deleted inaccurate meta discussion
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Doesn't matter. AA flee the A300 until a couple years ago. And a good chunk o the 787 is made in Europe and Japan.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:14 am

To answer your question: No.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Here we go...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The country of origin of their planes hasn't influenced my antipathy toward AA.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phasers
Really?

Did you forget that half their order was for Boeing planes?
No, I didn't. The bulk was for European planes. The thread asks a rather valid question that nobody else has been asking. It's not a political question, it's a question of how people make their buying decisions for a particular airline. It's no different than if I were asking if people would spend less money with AA when they removed their more room throughout coach policy.

Last edited by dstan; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm Reason: innaccurate meta discussion and attacks on other members redacted
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
So having an Accord in my garage and a Sony TV in my living room makes me anti-american? Arrrgggg.... death to amerika. Oh wait that's a pirate arrggg. Sorry.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:17 am

European carriers buy american aircrafts...
Or should I boycott BA because they fly Boeing widebodies only?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by new2japan
I find it rather hypocritical that a company should call itself American and yet refuse to buy the rather amazing planes that are built in this country.
Buying the Airbus aircraft was a very American thing to do... making the best business decision regardless of national origin and other nonsense. AA is a business, not an arm of the United Nations. I think the same way when buying flights. I don't care what country's metal (or composites) I'm flying, as long I'm getting the best bang for my buck on the flight (factoring in price, AAdvantage, schedule, amenities, etc.).
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Is this Fox News?

Learn how to phrase a question without introducing bias.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:21 am

Oh get over it.

Protectionism, blind patriotism and not looking beyond your borders is a path to bankruptcy (look at the US car manufacturers).

British Airways are the largest operator of 747s. Perhaps the rest of the World should stop buying Boeing in response to your politics? After all, if US airlines shouldn't purchase from outside the US, why should any non US airlines purchase from the US?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
IBTL.

Absolutely. I'm switching all of my Trans-Atlantic flying to Southwest, which uses Boeing planes.

In addition, I have decided to stop eating French Fries, English Muffins and Canadian Bacon.

Mike
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If a US carrier buying and flying Airbus offends you, you should have boycotted AA starting in the '70s or '80s when the A300 was on strength in big numbers. You should also have stayed off UA starting in the '80s when they went for the A320, and UA and NW more recently for choosing the A330 over the B767, and... on and on.

It's arguable that AA splitting the order between Airbus and Boeing is a gift to American interests as it keeps Boeing competitive.

Do you penalize yourself because the computer you wrote that post on was made in China or Taiwan?

For goodness' sakes.

Last edited by dstan; Aug 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm Reason: redacted quote of and response to deleted material

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.