Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by pkerr
Once again the rumor mill begins it's monthly churn...
For, I think, the first time AA.com, or at least a version thereof, is advertising this aspect of the program. It also says "select mileage activity" will count toward thresholds. This plainly means something other than all mileage activity, which has been the position to date.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Mine had no flight activity. Also, just noticed the Ending Balances are different.

View My Miles

Date Transaction Description* Mileage Bonus Total
Starting Balance nnn,nnn
04/18/11 MASTERCARD PURCH 1000 0 1000
Total Miles Posted 1000 0 1000
ENDING BALANCE nnn,nnn
Request Credit
* The single letter code that appears with flight activity under “Transaction Description” indicates the ticketed cabin. Booking codes, which indicate the fare paid, can be found on your airline ticket.

Date Transaction Description* Mileage
Starting Balance 0
04/18/11 MASTERCARD PURCH 0
Total Miles Posted 0
ENDING BALANCE ** 0
* The single letter code that appears with flight activity under “Transaction Description” indicates the ticketed cabin. Booking codes, which indicate the fare paid, can be found on your airline ticket.

Now I'm even more confused. That just looks like some kind of display error to me.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It is not the View My Miles tab; I see 2 View My Miles sections when I scroll down on the main account page (the miles page).
Mine (2MM+) and Mrs. gemac's (1MM+) are like vasantn's - one View My Miles section, one program-to-date line as the next-to-last entry in the Summary Date section, between 500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance and Total Available Award Mileage. Neither of us has had any credit card miles post this period.

[QUOTE=vasantn;16256078]Did you have flight and non-flight activity during the period and are they separated? QUOTE]

I checked another account; it has only flight miles this month. It too has two sections of view my miles and the miles show up like the credit card miles (ie. in both places, but with no amount in the second).
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Whilst this is not (yet) on AA.com, the mobile site for AA.com (http://mobile.aa.com) now shows the following on the account summary page:
AAdvantage miles earned through select mileage activity count toward Million MilerSM status.
The Million Miler program rewards AAdvantage members with additional benefits when specific mileage thresholds are achieved.
To learn more, read about the Million Miler program

The link to read more about the program does not work.

It looks from this as if: (a) the program is here to stay, but (b) not all miles will count towards future million miler status attainments. The language suggests that it will be not just flown miles that count.
Hmm...definitely ominous. My account summary on the mobile site is all funky - table of values at the bottom has all the flight/credit card/bonus activities, but 0 miles associated with each activity. On my regular computer browser, my account summary looks normal except for the total program miles being moved to the bottom, as others have mentioned.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not the View My Miles tab; I see 2 View My Miles sections when I scroll down on the main account page (the miles page).
Same here. The second mileage listing has zeros for the activity. They are a mix of flight activity and credit card miles.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I sort of welcome the change, as I have my concerns as well.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
Same here. The second mileage listing has zeros for the activity. They are a mix of flight activity and credit card miles.
Yep. It's possible that they are trying to introduce a column showing MM-qualifying miles, and the implementation has been screwed up in typical AA fashion.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Mine still looks normal; one View My Miles section including flights, CC, Dining program, etc all intermingled. It is out-of-order for dates, but it's always been that way.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
A change like what is being speculated (noting there isn't any "formal announcement" of changes) has seemed overdue. A program that would allow someone to hit lifetime platinum based principally on credit card spending doesn't feel consistent with AA's real intent of the program, IMHO.

I doubt any airline management team fully contemplated just how big the miles business would become when the programs were set in the early/mid-80's. And they certainly didn't contemplate the impact of FT-type Internet communities!

What DL did to tackle this was to include all miles towards the million miler threshold prior to a cut off date, then, for many years (starting well over a decade ago) they included just "base miles," or what were then bis miles, including the 500 mile minimum for short flights. When they went to MQMs (their EQPs) instead of base miles (giving higher credit for certain economy and premium cabin fares) eight or so years ago, they started moving up the million miler tally by MQMs accrued. When they made this most recent change, accruing million miler status based on MQMs, that struck me as what they should be doing. DL doesn't include DM/pm/GM/fo miles bonuses in the million miler tally.

I've flown DL and AA both about the same amount over my life, but I'm a 2.5mm'er on AA, and a .95mm'er on DL.

Based on the mobile.AA.com page, it seems like something is brewing.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I think the change is good, although it'll be a while before I get to lifetime PLT since I just got lifetime GLD this year. However, it only took me 4 years to get lifetime GLD.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
Mine (2MM+) and Mrs. gemac's (1MM+) are like vasantn's - one View My Miles section, one program-to-date line as the next-to-last entry in the Summary Date section, between 500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance and Total Available Award Mileage. Neither of us has had any credit card miles post this period.
Same for me (2.87MM) and mrs. brp (1.62MM). I have no View My Miles as I have no activity. She has one section with CC activity. Once we fly next week, we can see how this shakes out.

Even with changes, mrs. brp will hit 2MM before too long. Then the only impact will be on how fast we hit MM boundaries for SWUs - assuming that they don't count mileage bonus here, for example. Otherwise, pretty much no change for us.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Most of my credit card spend is with AAdvantage earning cards; I'm elite with UACO. If credit card miles stopped counting towards MM status I would immediately shift my purchases onto my CO credit card. My Continental Presidential Plus card offers FEQMS which do count towards MM status, albeit at a $5:1 elite qualifying mile level.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime PLT, DL Gold, US Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
My account summary still looks the same, although the Program To Date Miles counter has moved to the bottom. But something must be brewing ...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: plat, aa. spg.
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Most of my credit card spend is with AAdvantage earning cards; I'm elite with UACO. If credit card miles stopped counting towards MM status I would immediately shift my purchases onto my CO credit card. My Continental Presidential Plus card offers FEQMS which do count towards MM status, albeit at a $5:1 elite qualifying mile level.
Would do likewise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.