Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: STL / St. Louis Admirals Club (old and temporary sites)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is one of two archived threads of older posts about the STL / St. Louis Lambert International Airport Admirals Club.

STL / St. Louis - Lambert Int'l. Airport Concourse C Admirals Club (master thread)

The older archived thread is ARCHIVE: STL Admirals Club
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: STL / St. Louis Admirals Club (old and temporary sites)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by gemac
Some people live in areas where the drive time to the airport can be variable, and they would rather get there a half-hour early than a half-hour late.

AA still has a major market share in the St. Louis market. Perhaps they would like to keep that. Some people don't know whether they will clear Pre-Check or not, so they leave a little extra time to get through security in case they don't. I don't spend any time at all at the AC when I arrive back home, but on departure I often have a half-hour before boarding. Of course, I really want to not miss my departing flight. YMMV.

By your theory, AA should only have clubs at DFW, MIA, JFK, ORD, LAX, and LHR.
Bingo.

I work in Clayton, live in Illinois and usually take evening flights. It would make absolutely no sense for me to backtrack to Illinois after work, only to have come back to the airport, not that I'd have the time to so anyway. I'd much rather leave work, park there where it's free, take the Metrolink and waste an hour or two in the AC while waiting for my flight. It's wasted time for me in any event, so I might as well waste it somewhere semi-comfortable.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Bingo.

I work in Clayton, live in Illinois and usually take evening flights. It would make absolutely no sense for me to backtrack to Illinois after work, only to have come back to the airport, not that I'd have the time to so anyway. I'd much rather leave work, park there where it's free, take the Metrolink and waste an hour or two in the AC while waiting for my flight. It's wasted time for me in any event, so I might as well waste it somewhere semi-comfortable.
I lived in Clayton within walking distance of the station and rarely took Metrolink to Lambert Airport. Face it, you have to take two trains, back track into the city and then take another train out through Wellston to the airport. Not all that appealing to me when you can drive out I-170 in about 15 minutes, 20 minutes tops. I've been gone from STL for 4 years but when I left they had already reduced the MetroLink schedule and the trains only run every 20 min or so at off peak time. And also I don't think parking at the Clayton station is free. It is at other stops but not the Clayton/Central Ave station to my knowledge.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by gmcnail

Not trying to kick up dust here, but I genuinely have no idea why AA would spend the money to support a club at STL. Pocket the insurance money and save a couple people from being laid off...
What about the people working at the STL Admirals Club that would get laid off if AA did this?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I lived in Clayton within walking distance of the station and rarely took Metrolink to Lamber Airport. Face it, you have to take two trains, back track into the city and then take another train out through Wellston to the airport. Not all that appealing to me when you can drive put I-170 in about 15 minutes, 20 minutes tops. I've been gone from STL for 4 years but when I left they had already reduced the MetroLink schedule and the trains only run every 20 min or so at off peak time. And also I don't think parking at the Clayton station is free. It is at other stops but not the Clayton/Central Ave station to my knowledge.
Not to mention the fact that there's a pretty reasonable chance you will be the victim of a crime on the Metrolink. But, every city politician and Joe Edwards will keep denying there is a crime problem in this city. Got to keep that minority vote!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by akersnl
What about the people working at the STL Admirals Club that would get laid off if AA did this?
OK, so who do you think would have a better chance of getting a job after being laid off:

1. Airline mechanic with extremely specialized skills who devoted his career to keeping us flying safe, entering the open market in STL (or anywhere else) where that job is intensely competitive.

2. AC Club employee with hospitality skills.

I'm willing to bet it's a whole lot easier to get hired on at a hotel, convention center, catering company, etc.

I hate to see ANYONE lose their job, but if it's me, I'm going to stick behind the men and women to have gone out of their way to learn and perfect a specialized trade.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:54 pm

Airline mechanic without a shadow of a doubt.

Originally Posted by gmcnail
OK, so who do you think would have a better chance of getting a job after being laid off:

1. Airline mechanic with extremely specialized skills who devoted his career to keeping us flying safe, entering the open market in STL (or anywhere else) where that job is intensely competitive.

2. AC Club employee with hospitality skills.

I'm willing to bet it's a whole lot easier to get hired on at a hotel, convention center, catering company, etc.

I hate to see ANYONE lose their job, but if it's me, I'm going to stick behind the men and women to have gone out of their way to learn and perfect a specialized trade.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Not to mention the fact that there's a pretty reasonable chance you will be the victim of a crime on the Metrolink. But, every city politician and Joe Edwards will keep denying there is a crime problem in this city. Got to keep that minority vote!
Weird. I live in STL, ride Metrolink weekly (and my wife rides it daily), and we've never had an issue at all. It's not nearly as "unsafe" as people make it out to be, and I'm no apologist for the ridiculous crime rates in St. Louis.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Gold; SPG Gold
STL AC Latest Update June 2013

Was speaking to the bartender again yesterday and the latest word is June 2013. However, construction has now started and there is some drywall up. AA has dedicated $5M to the project.

Once the city releases the space to AA, the date should stop rolling and a more firm estimate should be achievable.

When the temp lounge was initially opened, they were going to put in restrooms. However, they were assured the new lounge would be able to open pretty quickly, so they deferred to save costs. After the continuing delays it became obvious it would have been wise to install them right away.

Club membership has dropped significantly in his words since the temp space became the norm.

All above information is paraphrased. The bartender is not an AA employee and I have no way of verifying his statements, but he appears confident and knowledgeable, but I suppose all good bartenders come off that way. Chose not to try to go look at the new lounge space, but I take him at his word.

Snapped a picture of the sign on the bar that says the lounge is coming summer of 2013 (June was the bartender's word). Any way to embed images in posts?

Am very glad to have a lounge in any airport I visit. SFO is the only airport I think I could tolerate spending much time in without an AC. Peace and quiet and helpful AAngels are worth it.

Have to add, Harlan <redacted> is a great STL AAngel.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 3, 2012 at 10:14 am Reason: Removed full name of non mementos employee
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Metrolink was a bit of an eerie ride late at night now that I recall away from the airport towards downtown with some interesting folks onboard

AS partners with AA on a couple lounges in AUS, DEN and ORD. Wonder when the new lounge opens if they might partner on this lounge too (ie give AS BR members access). This seems to be in return for AAdmirals Club members having access to SEA and ANC BR's (so not as many lounges but still nice...) [might be an issue going from terminal A to terminal C though.]
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS partners with AA on a couple lounges in AUS, DEN and ORD. Wonder when the new lounge opens if they might partner on this lounge too (ie give AS BR members access). This seems to be in return for AAdmirals Club members having access to SEA and ANC BR's (so not as many lounges but still nice...) [might be an issue going from terminal A to terminal C though.]
Likely not, as there is no way to get between A and C without going landside and re-clearing security, so this would only benefit those Boardroom members flying AA.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Now that the C terminal is no longer the major connecting hub it used to be, there are *lots* of quiet spaces to wait for your flight, so in that sense, the AC serves little purpose. I was happy to hear that the D terminal AC is indeed temporary; I use the STL AC on bunny hops to a hub for international flights. I am still excited enough by travel that sitting around at home to spend less time at the airport is nerve-wracking, and I've had multiple occasions where the supposedly short trip (15-20 mins MAX) from home to the airport gate became enough of an adventure that I was genuinely worried I would miss my flight. Now I work literally five minutes from Lambert, and it would be stupid to drive home and back.

Count me as someone who would rather spend an hour or two at my home AC rather than worry if I'm going to make my flight. I no longer travel enough to warrant a membership, but now I look at my connecting times in DFW/ORD/MIA/LAX and buy a pass if it's an extended wait (especially in DFW D for an international.) Someone already mentioned how valuable the AC is when flights get cancelled.

I'm happy we still have one.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
STL AAngel Kim is retiring

One of my favorite STL AAngels, Kim, says she's retiring 12/21 and moving to AZ. Goodbye, and good luck....you will be missed!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by gemac
Likely not, as there is no way to get between A and C without going landside and re-clearing security, so this would only benefit those Boardroom members flying AA.
That's what I was afraid of... unless AA took over above/below the wing for the daily AS flight to SEA... then we'd move to C
[I can dream can't I]
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
That's what I was afraid of... unless AA took over above/below the wing for the daily AS flight to SEA... then we'd move to C
[I can dream can't I]
I have not heard anything that leads me to believe that AS will switch from DL local station support to AA. AS seems to be very carefully playing with both AA and DL leaving both carriers thinking they are the "favorite sibling".
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The AAngels in the admirals club are saying that we should get our refurbished club back around the beginning of June. It will be nice to have bathrooms in the club again and a little more elbow room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.