Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The San José, California Norman Y. Mineta International Airport / SJC no longer has an Admirals Club, as AA has de-emphasized this airport.

As of 9 Jan 2013 there is a new lounge near the Federal Inspection across from gate A-15 (third level), Club@SJC, which sells day passes and is a Priority Club and Diners Club lounge (free to ANA Business pax to TYO) ; it offers courtesy WiFi, work carrels with PCs, shower facilities, beverages and snacks etc. Hours 0500 - 2200. Link.

Link to FlyerTalk thread.

/American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by WChou
Guess the talk of sharing the lounge with HA is a moot point.
I read a sign at the door a week ago that said paid F HA customers are welcome in the morning before the HNL departure. I don't know when this policy began, but 10 extra people per day isn't enough to make a dent in the traffic to the club. (I just checked Expert Flyer, and it seems that the HA flight is only about 60% full in F.)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Very sad about what has happened to SJC. As a comparison, Continental bought People Express and made EWR into a major internatitional and domestic hub. AA bought Air Cal, added many flights including NRT and HNL,
so what happended. EWR takes traffic from JFK and LGA, reduces congestion, so what did this not work with SJC releaving congestion out of SFO.
First, PeoplExpress was much larger than AirCal. Second, EWR is part of the NYC area, the largest concentration of people in the US. Third, Asia was (and is) far more regulated than Europe. So, route authorities were hard to come by. Fourth, dot com bust hit SJC very, very hard. Fifth, SJC originally had runway length issues which caused regular weight restrictions on both NRT and HNL.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Very true. Having worked with government bureaucrats, most are too busy lining their own pockets to realize their rectal/cranial interface issues actually have long term consequences with a negative impact on others.
Very true! Not to say that there aren't more pragmatic folks in government, but most of the airport management folks don't truly understand the nature of the airline industry. It's not as if the City Council or airport board members use the Admiral's Club regularly. These folks operate in a very formulaic way. Like the powerpoint posted by mvedda said, the management felt that it was necessary to raise more money thus they increased rent. There is very little concern for the repercussions of one's actions in a bureaucracy. It's not as if they're going to get laid off by these cuts.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Bummer. One of my favorite AC. Sounds like my once a month visit to the airport will be spent in the terminal now. The city seems to have a real love/hate relationship with the airport. The politicians always seem to talk about how great it is to have an airport and throw a ton of money into improvements. On the other hand, the charge huge fees, impose rigid curfews, cut public transportation access, and cave to NIMBYists.
Agreed, it's quite revealing of the situation in CA right now. I'm going to look up the SJC Airport General Obligation (GO) bonds on Bloomberg tomorrow at work. I'm curious to see what they are rated, coupon and their relative value in the market place. People in the Bay Area, in my experience, seem to be very sensitive to cutbacks of any kind. Perhaps it has a lot to do with the grassroots, progressive mindset that many seem to identify with their (which is a good thing IMHO). One needs to look no further than the BOS-SFO/AUA/STT/PLS gone; DFW-BGI added thread to see what I'm talking about-virtually all the complaints were from Bay Area travelers and not BOS/New England based people like me.

Don't get me wrong-it's a great state and I love visiting but they are in a serious fiscal crisis right now and will be for a long time. Even STL or MCI have been able to maintain their Admirals Clubs this long and STL has a DL club in the works currently.

Somehow what BOS is doing seems to be working. Massports passenger numbers continue to increase and we have by and large clean, modern, functional facilities (except Terminal C perhaps). Logan has improved tremendously since the beginning of last decade and continues to work well and recruit new air service. Logan is also one of four airports in the United States (the other three being New York-Laguardia, Washington Reagan and LAX) to have airline clubs operating for every legacy carrier-AA, CO, DL, UA, US. I think the future of Bay Area air travel will be similar to BOS-much of it has been and will be concentrated at SFO. PVD and MHT still have WN, but legacies have cut capacity there in favor of BOS. AA is supposedly returning to PVD next year sometime^

Sure it's unfortunate, but the sky certainly isn't falling down.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
SJC Decline is SJC's making

SJC was once a very convenient, easy airport - like BUR or LGB.

Rental cars out in front of the terminal. Easy-in and easy-out. Low frills.

Then they (over-) built Terminal A. Costs went up. They moved the rental cars to the area near 101/Guadalupe. Now it takes two complete loops of the airport to pick up a car and exit, and another loop to return. And communal grey rental car buses which don't come often enough so when you arrive in the morning you wait in a long, long line and watch several buses pass until you get on. And on your way back, instead of pullign up 45 mins before your flight, you need 90 minutes to get on a bus to come back. Oh, and let's add on a $10 transportation fee for the privilege.

SJC turns into small town service with big town hassles and fees.

Is anyone surprised by what happened?

What's making it worse is that they built a second Taj Mahal, which now has debt service spread over declining flights and passengers.

OAK which didn't spend, and accepts a role as a secondary airport, is doing fine.

This probably won't end well for SJC - unless traffic picks up enough to put SFO over capacity. But if SFO figures out its runways, then SJC will hurt for a long time. The AC is only a symptom, not a cause.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:59 pm

Majuki: Good info. Paid F only is a pretty small number. Cutting out upgraders and Pualani elites pretty much guarantees low traffic.

All American Flyer: Yep, much of their decisions are pure numbers. Another example is parking. Right now parking at SJC is no bargain. Heck it's slightly more than SFO. One proposal in the Powerpoint is raising parking fees. At the same time, they want to further cut public transportation options to save money. Now a major benefit of secondary airports, cheap parking and easy access, is gone.

AAerSTL: As much as people complain about Massport, you are correct about BOS. Over the last decade, it's become a heck of an airport. The improvements came so quickly by government standards, it seems to have caught the folks at BDL, PVD, and MHT flatfooted as the legacies returned to Logan. Access is easy, facilities are modern, and there is healthy competition. Your club observation is a good one. Clubs are expensive and shows that carriers are committed to a long term presence. Despite the reductions at BOS, I am glad to see AA has renovated the AC. It's a sign that AA sees long term potential. If AA decides to reduce SJC further, I'll just start flying from SFO. Not as convenient but no big deal.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
SFO has more nonstops, lower fares and lounges from every network airline except for US---AA has no similar competitive reason to offer a lounge at SJC. I hope that SJC offers a common lounge to compete with SFO.
Given the diminution of SJC in AA's network, I'm really glad I stayed nearer SFO rather than buying further south when I had been considering it.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
One proposal in the Powerpoint is raising parking fees. At the same time, they want to further cut public transportation options to save money. Now a major benefit of secondary airports, cheap parking and easy access, is gone.
Also for reference, SJC's long-term parking rate is $17/day. SFO is $14/day. Depending on the time of day with SFO, you can luck out and have the long-term lot be full. That way you can get a voucher to park in the short-term lot. This happened frequently for me in May when they were doing some work on the long-term garage.

Sometimes I wish there were only OAK and SFO. Then it would be a clear choice for the legacies to put their weight behind SFO with the LCCs flying into OAK. Effectively, it may come to that. The only carriers who seem to be increasing service at SJC are AS and WN. All of the other legacies are reducing SJC service. I see the result as being a brand new shiny terminal with no tenants to fill it.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
Also for reference, SJC's long-term parking rate is $17/day
Actually it's $15 and has been for a few years
http://www.sjc.org/travelers.php?pag...overview&exp=2

Of course there are other places about as convenient to get to. I park for free at First and Metro on weekends, and park a block further on weekdays. There is a free shuttle from first and Metro.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Good points, but that does assume that the city/airport bureaucrats understand this, or even care.
Higher rent is a factor, but there doesn't seem to be enough flights to support a club. There are many airports without a club that have more AA flights.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Very sad about what has happened to SJC. As a comparison, Continental bought People Express and made EWR into a major internatitional and domestic hub. AA bought Air Cal, added many flights including NRT and HNL,
so what happended. EWR takes traffic from JFK and LGA, reduces congestion, so what did this not work with SJC releaving congestion out of SFO.
AA not only destroyed the AirCal network, they subsequently bought Reno Air and then dismantled their west coast network as well.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JerryFF
AA not only destroyed the AirCal network, they subsequently bought Reno Air and then dismantled their west coast network as well.
But look at all the mad dogs we get to fly around in.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
But look at all the mad dogs we get to fly around in.
See, it wasn't all bad. (Ditto the ones they inherited from TWA. The old TWA-equipped 757s, however, ugh!)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Wow, major bummer indeed. SJC is a great AC with a terrific staff.
Yeah, I booked an October trip to SJC instead of SFO just to check out this club that everyone raved about.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yeah, I booked an October trip to SJC instead of SFO just to check out this club that everyone raved about.
Ummm... seriously? I'm struggling with envisioning myself intentionally modifying my travel itinerary to visit a ... Admiral's Club...

I mean a Flagship Lounge perhaps. Some International OneWorld Lounges perhaps. But an AC?

Sorry... I just don't get it.

Oh well, enjoy SJC airport!

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.