Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJC / San Jose, California Admirals Club - CLOSED as of Sep 17, 2010

Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The San Jos, California Norman Y. Mineta International Airport / SJC no longer has an Admirals Club, as AA has de-emphasized this airport.

As of 9 Jan 2013 there is a new lounge near the Federal Inspection across from gate A-15 (third level), Club@SJC, which sells day passes and is a Priority Club and Diners Club lounge (free to ANA Business pax to TYO) ; it offers courtesy WiFi, work carrels with PCs, shower facilities, beverages and snacks etc. Hours 0500 - 2200. Link.

Link to FlyerTalk thread.

/American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

Sad to say, it's official. The folks at the SJC AC tell me they'll be closed as of 9/17. Not enough flights anymore. 12 per day. 3 gates. And the AC at SJC is large with a 10-person staff.

Personally, I'm majorly bummed.

The consolation prize is that the SFO AC will be moving to a 10,000 sf space. Target is March/April of 2011.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For information on the San Jos, Costa Rica IB Contract Lounge, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jul 18, 2010 at 11:05 pm
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Interesting. I was told about a year and a half ago that they had signed a 5 year lease, and were guaranteed that long. Not to doubt what you were told...but do we have any further confirmation? We'll be through there in a few weeks and we'll check, of course.

Very sad news, if true.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I'm sure that an AS board room will come in after. AS has really been building up in SJC, they added more Hawaii flights recently.

I rarely fly to SJC though. For some reason, AA charges much more from SJC than SFO. I am not sure why.

Also, I always thought that flights to/from SJC are elite heavy.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
If this I true, it looks like it will seal the deal on many AA flyers based in SJC choosing SFO and even defecting to the new UA/CO carrier. I understand that AA won't be having a hub in SJC but they should have at least worked out an arrangement with AS where some sort of combined lounge space would be possible. Unfortunately, that won't happen unless AA moves to Terminal B. This is a very unwise decision on AA's part and IMO spitting in the face of the many loyal AA flyers who stayed loyal even through all of the cuts to SJC. Extremely unfortunate news that we can only hope is a rumor.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
A real shame, if true. SJC is one of my favorite non-hub domestic ACs with a nice amount of space and a great staff.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Xero
I'm sure that an AS board room will come in after. AS has really been building up in SJC, they added more Hawaii flights recently.

I rarely fly to SJC though. For some reason, AA charges much more from SJC than SFO. I am not sure why.

Sad, as I've flown AA to SFO and SJC and SFO in the last couple months. Incidentally, you may be right about SJC being elite-heavy, but I had no issues with any upgrade for me and my wife.

I simply hope that AA keeps making profit-focused strategic decisions, regardless of my biases. Hopefully SJC is one such case.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
The cynic in me says the explanation is simple: the goal is to abandon a given airport; so the prices get raised in order to decrease loads and yields, thereby decreasing profitability at said airport, thereby allowing AA to pull out completely, justifying it by saying that they were merely pulling out of a loss-making market.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
Very sad news. Greatly reduces the value of my lifetime membership.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: AA MM
That's too bad. In general, I'd always prefer to fly out of SJC over SFO (5 minute drive vs. 30 minutes), but it's been hard to justify lately with the higher fares and limited options. This is just one more factor against it.

...and of course, my next planned flight out of SJC on AA is 9/18
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: AA MM
Maybe it's just the particular flights I take, but I've had the same problem with SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Echo J
The cynic in me says the explanation is simple: the goal is to abandon a given airport; so the prices get raised in order to decrease loads and yields, thereby decreasing profitability at said airport, thereby allowing AA to pull out completely, justifying it by saying that they were merely pulling out of a loss-making market.
Interesting. Why would the goal be to abandoned the airport, if it was profitable? You seem to be saying they want to abandoned a profitable location, so in order to do that they make it lose money.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
If true, I don't see a reason to renew my AC membership so AA will lose even more $$ from me.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by bdemaria
If true, I don't see a reason to renew my AC membership so AA will lose even more $$ from me.
I can completely understand this; as long as the AC remains open at IAD and other places i frequent often, i'll buy, but there will be a point with more closures where its just easier to get a AX card with access or similar

to me, these type of things will also keep me from renewing; more closures at places I go than new openings at places I could care less about

bummer about SJC

I agree though with the SFO < SJC price wise which it wasn't long ago it was the other way around
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Wow, major bummer indeed. SJC is a great AC with a terrific staff.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just another day in AA's contraction of the Bay Area market...Sad news for the folks that use this club regularly and the employees involved. I was there is May and only person was on duty working the dragon position. No bartender, and there was one other guest in the club at the time. I suppose by swiping my Amex in I did my part

I'd be curious to know what their rental rate at SJC is. SJC is one of the most expensive airports to operate out of, yet the local politicians and Bay Area customers still wonder why they have such little air service and amenities at the airport (like the Admirals Club). Perhaps we would be able to find this information through open records/sunshine law from the City of San Jose.

I think it really says something about the politics and airport administration there if smaller markets with similar AA presence like Austin, TX or Kansas City, MO can sustain Admirals Clubs yet San Jose can't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.