Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
The smaller one will go under the seat. The 'larger' one is about the same size or smaller than other carryons I've seen in the past. Again, if I have to check in, so be it, but I prefer not to if I can help.
If we could use "about the same size or smaller than other carryons I've seen in the past" as a criterion, we could carry on a steamer trunk. I've seen people try to cram a 25" or 26" roller in the bins, as well as a very large rolling duffle.

Mine fits the sizer, but I have had to check it when arriving late to the gate, as all the bins were full. I keep anything valuable in a mesh bag, so I just have to grab it out if they insist on checking it. Being prepared for the eventuality takes the stress out.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Those huge rolling duffels are the worst; watching people try to cram them into the bins would be downright comical if it wasn't so irritating on principle.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thedoorchick
Those huge rolling duffels are the worst; watching people try to cram them into the bins would be downright comical if it wasn't so irritating on principle.
I agree. Some would argue that any bag that exceeds the sizer, even by half an inch, is the same as any other. I disagree. While some blindly follow rules, I'm about the end result. If a bag fits in lengthwise, taking up the "allotted" space, I don't care if it exceeds the sizer by a bit. It's those that take up more than their space (by a lot in the case you mention) that I object to.

Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I agree. Some would argue that any bag that exceeds the sizer, even by half an inch, is the same as any other. I disagree. While some blindly follow rules, I'm about the end result. If a bag fits in lengthwise, taking up the "allotted" space, I don't care if it exceeds the sizer by a bit. It's those that take up more than their space (by a lot in the case you mention) that I object to.

Cheers.
I've seen passengers trying to cram in rolling duffels that have to go in sideways. If they can get them in, they take up the room of three rollaboards. Same with the 25 or 26 inch rollers. And all of these bags are too thick, don't want to go in the bins at all, must be squashed and crammed, take several minutes to get in there (during which boarding for the aircraft halts, as the doofus doing the cramming is blocking the aisle). I know that AA likes to man gates with only one gate agent, but I think they should require a FA to stand at the gate, pull these passengers out of line and check their bags. And charge them the bag fee. The FAs know which bags will probably fit and which ones obviously won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.