Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

I'm planning a trip to South America (EZE), carrying both camera and computer equipment in legal-sized carry-on luggage. We'll be traveling in Business on a 777.

Is there any likelihood that the gate agent will make us check these carry-on bags? The reason I ask is that these items are fragile and I really don't want them checked.

I've read the threads about over-sized "carry-on" luggage, but I couldn't find an answer to this question.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
When you measure LxWxH, the number should add up to no more than 45" as per AA policy. There's definitely "wiggle room" on this though because some luggage pockets can be squooshed in. At many airports (usually at the gate), there's a little sample size box to put your carry on in to see if it would fit.

If it's within that kind of range though I highly doubt they will force you to check it
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:57 am

Unless you're last on the plane and all the overhead bins are full, and you can't fit your stuff under your seat.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I usually carry on only, so have my legal sized bag a bit too large. I have been forced to size it exactly 3 times in about 1.3 million miles of flying.

In many cases, you are allowed an extra bag for camera equipment. Check the AA website. And never check delicate or expensive items.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I usually carry on only, so have my legal sized bag a bit too large. I have been forced to size it exactly 3 times in about 1.3 million miles of flying.

In many cases, you are allowed an extra bag for camera equipment. Check the AA website. And never check delicate or expensive items.
Is this allowable extra bag (for camera equipment) count as your personal item? Can you bring a laptop bag, a camera bag, and then your carry-on with your clothes?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have measured the bags in question and they are right at the 45" limit, including the "feet" that stabilize them when standing on end. And if we board when Business (and Gold) passengers are called, it seems very unlikely that the bins will be full.

But even so, I imagine the best plan is still to keep the fragile, expensive things in our "personal items".

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this allowable extra bag (for camera equipment) count as your personal item? Can you bring a laptop bag, a camera bag, and then your carry-on with your clothes?
I think that a camera bag is allowed in addition to the other items. Check aa.com to make sure. I have equipment that is allowed, but I get tired of having to educate them, so just try to pack it into my main carry on.

If you are allowed it, print out the page and bring it with you.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have done the DFW, or MIA to EZE a few times over the past few years. Once in first, 5 times in business, and twice coach.

I travel with a small roller bag with clothes and a leather legal sized bag with all my expensive electronics. I have never been looked at twice in any class of service. I have always gone onboard before the kettel herd.

My last trip was in first on the 777 and this woman had two bins in first taken up with three bags and coats!

My leather legal bag also never gets scrutiny on a crj-700.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
In many cases, you are allowed an extra bag for camera equipment. Check the AA website.
I think that a camera bag is allowed in addition to the other items. Check aa.com to make sure.
You won't find it on AA's website unless something has changed very recently.

TSA allows an additional bag for camera equipment, in addition to a carry-on and personal item. But best I can determine, AA does not, so I wouldn't count on that.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG GOLD
So long as you can board before the herd you should be fine.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:25 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Normally you should be fine, however, I would advice you to avoid MIA. I had a less than great experience there the Sunday after Thanksgiving on a very early morning flight (not full at all), connecting from a GIG flight. Two other people in first class had the same issue, the FA called the GA (we all boarded with plenty of time to spare); the GA said that is was "FAA regulations".
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I had a bulkhead row on a Super 80 and boarded fairly early on only to mind no possible place to put my very small carry on bag. Bin hogs in my own class of service + a selection of people boarding coach who crammed their stuff into the front cabin bins as they trooped along.

To avoid this board as early as possible and throw yourself on the bin you wish to use to protect it from poachers.

The FA's on American do not protect the front cabin bins! They turn a blind eye to the situation.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
One thing I've found has helped me when the size of my carryon comes into question is the red valet tag from Eagle flights that says "Carry-On". YMMV.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sagy
Normally you should be fine, however, I would advice you to avoid MIA. ......
You are absolutely right.
I've been forced to check my bag even though its both size & weight legal at MIA.

This also happened once in DFW when making a connection.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
From aa.com:

"How Much Can I Carry On?
Dimensional Inches Diagram You can carry on one bag plus one personal item per passenger as long as:

# They weigh no more than 40 lbs/18 kgs

# The bag is no more than 45 inches and the personal item is no more than 36 inches when you add the length + width + height so that it fits in an overhead bin or under the seat

Personal item - includes: backpack purse, briefcase, laptop OR a similar item such as book bag or tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and fits under the seat.

Additional items that will be allowed above and beyond the restrictions listed above include:

# Outerwear such as coats/wraps/hats

# Book or newspaper

# Small bag of food to eat on the flight - see guidelines for liquids

# Approved safety seat for lap or ticketed child

# Umbrella stroller for lap or ticketed child

# Diaper bag for lap or ticketed child

# Assistive devices for passengers such as wheelchairs, walkers and CPAP machines

# Therapeutic oxygen provided by the airline"

Nothing about camera bags (as opposed to a camera.) Nonetheless, my Lowe camera bag and max size carry-on have accompanied me on many a flight. It has only been taken from me a very few times - notably at LHR by BA, and once by UA at LAX (that was a Pelikan locking case with u/w video equipment, which had been allowed as my personal item by FJ, UA etc. )

Be prepared to quickly scavenge your carry-on for any valuable items you can put in your camera bag, then you will be prepared (but probably not bothered.) And remember "stored under your seat" in NGBC means you wil lnot be able to stretch out and sleep in the reclined position, and "under your seat" will not be allowed in bulkhead rows in NGBC on takeoff and landing because they never got the new seats STCd for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.