Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

Be prepared to quickly scavenge your carry-on for any valuable items you can put in your camera bag, then you will be prepared (but probably not bothered.) And remember "stored under your seat" in NGBC means you will not be able to stretch out and sleep in the reclined position, and "under your seat" will not be allowed in bulkhead rows in NGBC on takeoff and landing because they never got the new seats STCd for it.
We're not in a bulkhead row. We're in 12A and 12B on the 777, which seems to be the next-to-last row in business. As for "under your seat", I guess that means we should just bring on our "personal items" and store them overhead, right?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ideally, yes - and in J it's not usually a problem. I also take one of the old shoebag amenity kits to store some of my items I want in flight, and hang it from the coat hookl.

Originally Posted by stheller
We're not in a bulkhead row. We're in 12A and 12B on the 777, which seems to be the next-to-last row in business. As for "under your seat", I guess that means we should just bring on our "personal items" and store them overhead, right?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by Sagy
I would advice you to avoid MIA. .
As of late you can add LAX to that list as well, these are the only two places where my legal sized carryon gets sized, and even if its legal they hassle if it does not meet the sizer dimensions....
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pedler
As of late you can add LAX to that list as well, these are the only two places where my legal sized carryon gets sized, and even if its legal they hassle if it does not meet the sizer dimensions....
While LAX does have its issues ---too many for me to list here---, I have never had any problems with them being really strict on the sizing of carry-on luggage. I've brought on stuff that looked overbloated and no one gave it a second look.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:26 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I would be nervous about trying to get a camera bag on as a "third" carry-on. Maybe if it's so small it's just a case around a single camera, but beyond that it's problematic.

But I've got a solution for you. This is a trick I've used quite a few times, always successfully. If you don't already have one, get yourself a photographers vest. Then put your camera bodies, lenses, etc. in the pockets. You will essentially be wearing your carry-on! It's kind of an interesting loophole in the rules. I have also used the vest during the one carry-on period. Stuffed the pockets with everything I would have put in a second carry-on. Get a good vest with strong pockets!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
If the GA thinks the flight bins will fill up, they may force a gate check even if you meet size requirements. I had this happen a few weeks ago in MIA, probably on the same early morning flight that Sagy traveled on, but a few days earlier. I had been using that bag over 15 years as carry on. I received this response from AA:

I'm sorry for any confusion caused by the renewed focus on our carry-on baggage policy. Since you've traveled with the same baggage for many years and haven't had a problem until recently, I can appreciate your disappointment. Please allow me to explain.

The Federal Aviation Administration diligently audits airline conformity of mandated policies and procedures – carry-on baggage restrictions being just one of the areas of compliance assessment. Recently, some audits have pointed out a lack of consistency on our enforcement of carry-on baggage policies. As a consequence, our agents have received additional training related to carry-on baggage requirements and are working hard to consistently apply the associated restrictions. Accordingly, we now must use a more conservative judgment by restricting more carry-on bags than we previously did.

In addition, even if your carry-on bag is within the allowed size, you may be asked to gate check your bag if the overhead bins get full. Nevertheless, if your baggage was within the guidelines when you traveled with us, then we do sincerely apologize that you weren't allowed to carry it aboard with you. I've shared your comments with our General Manager in Miami so that our folks there will be reminded how their actions and words impact our customers.

Just to reiterate, if your bag fits in the overhead bin or underneath the seat, it does not mean that the item is an "approved" size for carry-on baggage. Our policy is that the one carry-on bag may not exceed 45 dimensional inches (length+width+height).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BLG
I would be nervous about trying to get a camera bag on as a "third" carry-on. Maybe if it's so small it's just a case around a single camera, but beyond that it's problematic.

But I've got a solution for you. This is a trick I've used quite a few times, always successfully. If you don't already have one, get yourself a photographers vest. Then put your camera bodies, lenses, etc. in the pockets. You will essentially be wearing your carry-on! It's kind of an interesting loophole in the rules. I have also used the vest during the one carry-on period. Stuffed the pockets with everything I would have put in a second carry-on. Get a good vest with strong pockets!
I would only stuff the vest after clearing security, otherwise it might be mistaken for something worn once by suicide bombers.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benzguy80
I would only stuff the vest after clearing security, otherwise it might be mistaken for something worn once by suicide bombers.
The vest should be removed and put in a plastic bin to ride the conveyor at security.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:12 am

I would check the Travel Safety and Security section. Some countries (for example, Canada) have been reported to be limiting carry on beyond the posted AA limits. Don't have time right now to re-read the thread on flights from Canada, but as of a day or two ago, carry on was a problem from Canada to U.S. Also, there's a new thread there on FRA to U.S. (haven't read it yet, but it might be of interest to you.)
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by BLG
If you have really got a lot of stuff: Scottevest

Last edited by wdwright; Jan 4, 2010 at 9:22 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BLG
This is a trick I've used quite a few times, always successfully. If you don't already have one, get yourself a photographers vest. Then put your camera bodies, lenses, etc. in the pockets. You will essentially be wearing your carry-on!
That's a great suggestion for those who carry a lot of camera/electronic gear. I can relate!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:54 am
BLG

Originally Posted by gemac
The vest should be removed and put in a plastic bin to ride the conveyor at security.
Absolutely! I'm not suggesting you try to wear your vest filled with stuff through the scanner. I have found that the TSA folks have put me into secondary screenings a couple of times lately when I was traveling with a lot of camera equipment -- whether the equipment is in a carry-on or a vest.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by BLG
Absolutely! I'm not suggesting you try to wear your vest filled with stuff through the scanner. I have found that the TSA folks have put me into secondary screenings a couple of times lately when I was traveling with a lot of camera equipment -- whether the equipment is in a carry-on or a vest.
Yes. I have a Raynox Tele-Extender for my Lumix LX3, and it consistently triggers a secondary check in the US and abroad.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:51 am
BLG

The other thing that's pretty simple is to just stuff your cameras/lenses/etc. in the big pockets of a top coat if you're traveling to cold climates. Most top coats have big inside and outside pockets, and they hold just about as much as vests. But do expect secondary screening -- It makes sense that the TSA should want to have a look when they see an image of things with cords and batteries!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
While LAX does have its issues ---too many for me to list here---, I have never had any problems with them being really strict on the sizing of carry-on luggage. I've brought on stuff that looked overbloated and no one gave it a second look.
The issue at LAX is the at the entrance to the security line at the bottom of the escalators, but the monitors there haven't been as vicious over the past few months as they were for awhile. They may force a legal bag to be sized, but if it fits the sizer, I've never seen anyone prohibited from proceeding.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm Reason: redact offensive language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.