Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Originally Posted by Pedler
As of late you can add LAX to that list as well, these are the only two places where my legal sized carryon gets sized, and even if its legal they hassle if it does not meet the sizer dimensions....
Add BOG, where i've been forced to check-in otherwise legal carry-ons.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
How strictly is AA enforcing carry-on sizes?

Hello,
I've already done a search beforehand and haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I'm aware of AA's policy regarding fitting the carry-ons in the sizer, but in reality, how strict is AA enforcing the carry-on rules?

A bit of background, I'm traveling DCA-DFW-PDX in a few days in award F, and have no elite status (used to be Gold/Plat years ago though, but doesn't help me here). I'll have one carryon that slight exceed the limits (and am prepare to check it in if necessary, but I hope not), and another carry-on that would probably be fine. I haven't flown on AA in a couple of years (last trip was May 2008, I believe), and I'm aware things has changed quite a bit since then.

So while technically, I might be breaking the carry-on size rules, I'm pretty confident my bigger carry-on would fit fine in the bin. But I wanted to find out how likely they'll make me put my carry-on in the sizer at DCA and DFW (as well as PDX and DFW on the return)?

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Unfortunately, there is no solid answer. It's very case-specific. My general experience is that they're not enforcing diligently, but it could happen when you go. If you'd be OK checking, I'd take the risk. Probably a low risk.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA MM
I don't know about DCA, but my general experience has been "not strictly enough". On my last flight (on a Mad Dog), the guy sitting next to me had so large a carryon that it would not even fit in the DEF overhead wheels-first. He ended up turning it sideways, and it was so long that not even one more rollaboard would fit.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
So while technically, I might be breaking the carry-on size rules, I'm pretty confident my bigger carry-on would fit fine in the bin. But I wanted to find out how likely they'll make me put my carry-on in the sizer at DCA and DFW (as well as PDX and DFW on the return)?
If it doesn't meet the size limit (45 linear inches), be prepared to check it, as you say you are. You may or may not be challenged. But if it "looks" large, you may very well be required to check it.

I'm not sure what search terms you used, but here are some threads which discuss the issue and I'm sure there are others. Search terms: "carry on"

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizers

Forced checking of legal-sized carry-on?

Carry-on size restrictions...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Chances are you'll be fine. And if they challenge you re your bags, you could point out that you're in F so there should be adequate overhead space. But yeah, be prepared to check it if they insist.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Thanks everyone. Guess I probably don't have too much to worry about, but be prepared just in case (only clothes, nothing tempting for TSA or baggage handlers).
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Chances are you'll be fine. And if they challenge you re your bags, you could point out that you're in F so there should be adequate overhead space. But yeah, be prepared to check it if they insist.
Yeah, what Thunderroad said. Good advice. I have seen the sizers used once in the last 2 years.

Best advice: Try not to look guilty!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:04 pm

Depends on airport. Also aircraft. At ORD this week, they check anything that looks close. Even for First.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
and another carry-on that would probably be fine.
IMHO, you should check the bag you already know is too big, AND the "probably" part of this has me wondering if you are planning to put this "smaller" bag under the seat or also in the overhead
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO 1.5 MM, Hilton Diamond
+1
I recetnly saw a person bring a bag on that was obviously to large to fit in the overhear and after standing looking at the overhead bins for a couple of minutes, even he figured it out.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by qazw1
Depends on airport. Also aircraft. At ORD this week, they check anything that looks close. Even for First.
It's not just this week...ORD has been picking up it's inspection on carry on bags at the TSA line...they don't even wait for you to get to the gate...

Interesting, because at the gate you'd probably get to check the baggage in for free, but at the TSA line they would probably charge you at the TA.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
IMHO, you should check the bag you already know is too big, AND the "probably" part of this has me wondering if you are planning to put this "smaller" bag under the seat or also in the overhead
The smaller one will go under the seat. The 'larger' one is about the same size or smaller than other carryons I've seen in the past. Again, if I have to check in, so be it, but I prefer not to if I can help.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Hello,
I've already done a search beforehand and haven't been able to find the answer to my question. I'm aware of AA's policy regarding fitting the carry-ons in the sizer, but in reality, how strict is AA enforcing the carry-on rules?

A bit of background, I'm traveling DCA-DFW-PDX in a few days in award F, and have no elite status (used to be Gold/Plat years ago though, but doesn't help me here). I'll have one carryon that slight exceed the limits (and am prepare to check it in if necessary, but I hope not), and another carry-on that would probably be fine. I haven't flown on AA in a couple of years (last trip was May 2008, I believe), and I'm aware things has changed quite a bit since then.

Thanks everyone!
The answer is not strictly enough -- causing issues and delays during the boarding process.

I originate from DCA a lot and have never had my overpacking companions asked to use the size apparatus to check their bag.. however they do usually gate check it.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
7/2/10 experience @ SAN

Leaving SAN yesterday on way to ORD. TSA had random "secondary screening checks" at most gates, just like post-9/11. I think this prompted the GA to question the rollaboard that has never been questioned in probably 6 years on AA. There was a slight bulge on top, making it just fit into the sizer with much squeezing and pushing. GA did not like that, so she called over a "luggage supervisor", who kindly suggested that I take out the toiletries bag that was causing the bulge. I did so, and it fit into the sizer easily. He gave it his blessing and I was on my way. I'm thinking that the day before the July 4th holiday weekend caused the TSA to be extra vigilant, which in turn made the GA extra picky with them looking over her shoulder. I guess terrorists might think July 4th weekend is symbolically a good time to cause trouble, prompting this whole extra layer of scrutiny. Be prepared, everyone.

Last edited by Captain Mike; Jul 3, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.