Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus + NH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Am I reading this waiver correctly? It allows for free changes on intra-Japan flights but not free cancellation?

As part of our trip (that we are likely canceling) I have a paid J/Premium Class ticket for NRT - ITM (only the one way -- it's a Super Value Premium 28 fare). Trying to figure out my options for that one -- if we have to forfeit it that's just how it goes but if I can get a full refund or even a credit that I can use if we postpone to the fall. If I try to cancel on the website there is a penalty that equates to roughly half the ticket price:

Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
For domestic flights (28Feb to 19Mar), you can cancel and get full refund, or change date without handling charge.

Japanese page doesn't have restriction of new travel date.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Am I reading this waiver correctly? It allows for free changes on intra-Japan flights but not free cancellation?

As part of our trip (that we are likely canceling) I have a paid J/Premium Class ticket for NRT - ITM (only the one way -- it's a Super Value Premium 28 fare). Trying to figure out my options for that one -- if we have to forfeit it that's just how it goes but if I can get a full refund or even a credit that I can use if we postpone to the fall. If I try to cancel on the website there is a penalty that equates to roughly half the ticket price:

I was booked on ewr-nrt-bkk and was able to cancel my trip via amextravel citing this waiver.

It took a 30 minute phone call with the agent calling NH, but it was pretty cut and dry cancellations were allowed.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
What happens if you’ve got a ticket booked via NH on other metal? Which waiver reigns?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
What happens if you’ve got a ticket booked via NH on other metal? Which waiver reigns?
the airline you bought from 'owns' the ticket (until day of travel, then the operating airline owns the ticket)

as the screenshot mentioned, applicable flight = NH-marketed or NH-operated flight.
so if you bought a NH-codeshare operated by SQ-metal (aka NH-marketed), plated/bought from NH, this NH waiver would work

(yes, it's also possible to buy SQ-flight# operated by SQ-metal, plated/bought from NH. a little murky and you may have to argue/escalate with NH a little)
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paperwastage
the airline you bought from 'owns' the ticket (until day of travel)

as the screenshot mentioned, applicable flight = NH-marketed or NH-operated flight.
so if you bought a NH-codeshare operated by SQ-metal, plated/bought from NH, this NH waiver would work

(yes, it's also possible to buy SQ-flight operated by SQ-metal, plated/bought from NH. a little murky and you may have to argue/escalate it a little)
So sounds to me like NH would have to accommodate you, if SQ or other metal (in my case AC) canceled. If other metal had a waiver but NH didn't, sounds like you can't invoke the waiver. Sigh. OTOH if things are still crazy by the time of my trip, I would hope the airlines would work together with pax to get the best solution.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Feb 29, 2020 at 10:21 am
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So sounds to me like NH would have to accommodate you, though, if SQ or other metal (in my case AC) canceled. If other metal had a waiver but NH didn't, sounds like you can't invoke the waiver. Sigh. OTOH if thing are still crazy by the time of my trip, I would hope the airlines would work together with pax to get the best solution.
well, you can still call your ticketing carrier and ask. no harm doing it right now to see your options
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
For domestic flights (28Feb to 19Mar), you can cancel and get full refund, or change date without handling charge.

Japanese page doesn't have restriction of new travel date.
I read the waiver as any flights into/out of Japan, including US-Japan. Are you saying it is only domestic? Or just that domestic flights have more flexibility with travel changes?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm hearing visitors from Japan entering Hong Kong must undertake a 14 days quarantine but couldn't seem to find any news or updates on the govt website, anyone heard the same?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:07 pm

Here is the link I have been using to check restrictions and exceptions for all Asian countries. I expect it to be updated soon...

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
There's also a lot of info (infection rates, tourism closures, etc) being tracked on this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel...guidelines_on/
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:28 pm

A data point. I had booked a non-refundable (economy K class) flight from MAA to NRT on ANA's website. Until last week, the Cancel button on my Manage Booking page displayed a popup when I click on it, saying something like - this ticket cannot be canceled, please contact our customer service.

I called ANA customer service this morning and asked them if I can cancel my non-refundable ticket (and get a refund) because of corona virus. The rep said yes I can and asked me to cancel the reservation from the Manage Booking page. After which she will be able to process the refund from her end. I told her I had already tried that before, it doesn't work; she asked me to try it again. With her on the line, I clicked on the Cancel button and this time it took me to a page asking if I really want to cancel my reservation and so on. And I was able to successfully cancel the ticket online. It said the refund amount cannot be determined, but the rep said I will get the full money back to my credit card.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: ANA Pt
ANA and Japan Airlines will refund all international and domestic flights to and from Japan without any fees for travel dates until the 19th of March including award tickets.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:23 am

ANA refund fare vs cancellation protection (travel insurance)

Due to the corona outbreak I am not sure of what to do with a planned trip to Japan this late June. Considering the option of buying an economy fare ticket which alows for refund and change for a fee. I suppose NH wont do much refunding for other fares unless flights are cancelled.

Would buying a cancellation protection through your travel insurance do it better than their more expensive fares?

Never had the need of such and most travel insurance only cover serious illness during trip..
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Seems like it would be pretty easy to compare the costs between these two options. But for insurance you'd have to buy a Cancel For Any Reason policy since coronavirus is not a covered condition by regular travel policies. That insurance is more expensive and (typically) maxes out at 75% of the money lost, so you'd need to include in your calculations that you'd still be responsible for 25% of the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.