Coronavirus + NH

Old Feb 13, 20, 9:36 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 535
I was trying to get out of SIN early last week when the alert level there was raised. Called ANA and there was no waiver. For a two day earlier departure, they wanted to charge me $2000. I stayed on and left this week.
salfcl is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:22 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 582
I have no issues with going to Tokyo. What you can also do is to take a domestic flight to a different city after landing at NRT or HND.

My now canceled ticket was meant to go to HKG. No fees were charged.
Barkinpark is offline  
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:07 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 11,264
Originally Posted by salfcl View Post
I was trying to get out of SIN early last week when the alert level there was raised. Called ANA and there was no waiver. For a two day earlier departure, they wanted to charge me $2000. I stayed on and left this week.
I just had a conference in SIN cancel due to the raised warning. I hope ANA extends its waiver to SIN soon, or I'll end up wishing I had booked with a U.S. carrier. At least then I would be able to use the credit minus the change fee.
rjque is offline  
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:31 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by rjque View Post
I just had a conference in SIN cancel due to the raised warning. I hope ANA extends its waiver to SIN soon, or I'll end up wishing I had booked with a U.S. carrier. At least then I would be able to use the credit minus the change fee.
No waiver to SIN as of today. Y.

My ticket is non-refundable but ANA does give a credit less change fees that is valid for a year (see below).
Tickets are non-refundable.
However, full value of wholly unused ticket may be applied
towards purchase of a new ticket priced at equal or higher
value upon payment of the change fee contained in this rule
within 1 year from the original date of issue, provided
original reservations are cencelled prior to originally
scheduled flight.
Any difference in fare, taxes, fees and/or surcharges
must be collected at time of reissue.
salfcl is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 6:51 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by rjque View Post
I just had a conference in SIN cancel due to the raised warning. I hope ANA extends its waiver to SIN soon, or I'll end up wishing I had booked with a U.S. carrier. At least then I would be able to use the credit minus the change fee.
The US carriers haven't put out SIN waivers either.
alchemista is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 11:06 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Portland
Posts: 11,264
Originally Posted by alchemista View Post
The US carriers haven't put out SIN waivers either.
Yes, but a credit on a U.S. carrier is actually useful to me. It is unlikely that I would be able to use a credit on ANA within 12 months. Lesson learned, I guess.
rjque is offline  
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:46 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 529
ANA pushed out the dates by 1 month today for the same covered destinations:
https://atpa.fly-ana.com/news/travel...break-update-6
alchemista is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:14 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DEN
Programs: UA
Posts: 276
I'm in a similar position to some others in that I have a family leisure trip scheduled for March 11 to 24 with kids aged 4 and 7 (one week driving around Honshu followed by one week in Tokyo).

I could refare to April without any net change in cost (longer story), but I can't think of any way to predict that April will be "better" than March. I've also hoped for fewer crowds in March (glad to see the confirmation of that above) plus they say the cherry blossoms will be out in mid-march during our stay.

I considered trying to refare to September but I ran into something I wasn't expecting. As mentioned by someone above, ANA tickets can be rebooked up to one year from issue date. Unfortunately I bought these tickets in June (by far the furthest in advance I've ever bought airline tickets, oops).

At this point there's no financial penalty for me to wait until a day or two before departure to see if the panic increases to the point of waivers or travel restrictions. Other suggestions welcome.
TheBagman is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:42 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,979
Iím not concerned yet about our 2-week family trip to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Beijing, but I want to be prepared to change or cancel if the time comes. My tickets are a little complicated.

NH awards in J for 4 pax. On AC metal with one flight on CA. USA-YYZ-HND; KIX-PEK; PEK-YYZ-USA.

If AC and/or CA are still cancelling flights or the US continues to quarantine folks whoíve been in China, then we will have to change our plans.

If we were to go only to Japan, would NH be flexible about finding/opening flights for us on their own metal? Iím seeing some UA we could take by changing prematurely now. But no returns.

One of our tix used points that were expiring. As long as I donít change anything, the ticket is fine. If I voluntarily change, I imagine theyíd expire. But what if the flights themselves get canceled? Just trying to figure out how I should strategize for optimum solution. And if Iíll need more NH points, Iíll need to transfer those sooner rather than later due to transfer lag.
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:49 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YYZ
Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by TheBagman View Post
I'm in a similar position to some others in that I have a family leisure trip scheduled for March 11 to 24 with kids aged 4 and 7 (one week driving around Honshu followed by one week in Tokyo).

I could refare to April without any net change in cost (longer story), but I can't think of any way to predict that April will be "better" than March. I've also hoped for fewer crowds in March (glad to see the confirmation of that above) plus they say the cherry blossoms will be out in mid-march during our stay.

I considered trying to refare to September but I ran into something I wasn't expecting. As mentioned by someone above, ANA tickets can be rebooked up to one year from issue date. Unfortunately I bought these tickets in June (by far the furthest in advance I've ever bought airline tickets, oops).

At this point there's no financial penalty for me to wait until a day or two before departure to see if the panic increases to the point of waivers or travel restrictions. Other suggestions welcome.
Check if your ticket allows refund. Mine did not but allowed for credit.
When I cancel my ticket, the ANA agent wasn't even aware that I could get a credit minus the cancellation fee to be used later.
So, check the fare rules for your ticket instead of relying on the knowledge of the ANA agent.
salfcl is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:54 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DEN
Programs: UA
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by salfcl View Post
Check if your ticket allows refund. Mine did not but allowed for credit.
When I cancel my ticket, the ANA agent wasn't even aware that I could get a credit minus the cancellation fee to be used later.
So, check the fare rules for your ticket instead of relying on the knowledge of the ANA agent.
Good point, you're right it does offer this:

https://www.ana.co.jp/int_farerule/t...usa_nr_en.html
full value of wholly unused ticket may be applied
towards purchase of a new ticket priced at equal or higher
value upon payment of the change fee contained in this rule
within 1 year from the original date of issue, provided
original reservations are cancelled prior to originally
scheduled flight.
I'm assuming that the "1 year" condition means "use the credit within one year of original issue", not that the new flight has to be within 1 year of the original issue. I think the distinction between "change" and "refund/credit/buy-new" is where my wires were crossed. These situations have always been a theoretical for me, before now.
TheBagman is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:23 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Billy Bandit View Post
Is anyone reconsidering their plans to fly NH to Tokyo? I've got a purely optional, tourist family trip planned in 3 weeks.
Well, after the CDC raised Japan to a Level 2 alert, I ended up cancelling my award flight (booked through VS). One of the museums (Ghibli Museum) we were going to visit is also closing for a few weeks due to this.
Billy Bandit is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 12:28 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BTS/VIE
Programs: LH FTL**, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,256
Originally Posted by Billy Bandit View Post
Well, after the CDC raised Japan to a Level 2 alert, I ended up cancelling my award flight (booked through VS). One of the museums (Ghibli Museum) we were going to visit is also closing for a few weeks due to this.
also noticed Ghibli closing as we had it planned, but the flights are in mid-May, let's see what happens in the next two months.
whiskey_sk is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 12:30 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 217
I have a trip planned from NYC - NRT - BKK.

NY to NRT is on UA. NRT to BKK is on NH. Originally we planned a 5 day stop over in NRT but thinking about foregoing that stop and heading straight to BKK.

How do I find my fare rules?

Any chance NH will do this change without charging a change fee considering the circumstances?

The ticket was booked via NH.
Dpetryszyn is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 3:40 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: LAS
Programs: UA 1k / Marriott Plat
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That would be my reading of the text, however it is vague enough to not offer a certainty that it is what is meant.
Had a similar experience as others with ANA phone agent trying to understand the change rules.

YMMV (hope it does)

Booked rev PE ticket for a crazy price last December for travel end of March SFO - TYO - HKG - TYO - SFO

Called the US number today (310-782-3011), spent 1hr on hold and was ultimately routed to the JP call center. Agent was nice, great English, but seemed confused on the rules in place for the waiver. Told her I was looking to change travel dates to Sept, same routing, provided flight numbers desired etc. Agent put me on hold to look up the flights, came back stating that I could either take a refund or travel would have to take place by 4/20 to avoid penalties. I explained that I thought rules were stating that I needed to make the change by 4/20, not travel by that date, as I took for granted there would still be virus risk at that time in HK... Agent agrees it didn't seem right, put me on hold to check the policy again with someone, and came back stating that travel does indeed need to take place before 4/20 to not incur change fees.

Obviously I don't want to take the refund, as the value of taking the trip at that insane price outweighs having a couple bucks back in my pocket... Really not scared of the HK portion, but the rub is I found a replacement trip to TYO during that date range also for a steal on UA metal with business upgrades available that works better for my schedule.

Hoping to call back tonight and have more luck with a different CS agent, will report back if that comes to fruition.
jawntronix is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread