Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus + NH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
I was trying to get out of SIN early last week when the alert level there was raised. Called ANA and there was no waiver. For a two day earlier departure, they wanted to charge me $2000. I stayed on and left this week.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:22 am

I have no issues with going to Tokyo. What you can also do is to take a domestic flight to a different city after landing at NRT or HND.

My now canceled ticket was meant to go to HKG. No fees were charged.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salfcl
I was trying to get out of SIN early last week when the alert level there was raised. Called ANA and there was no waiver. For a two day earlier departure, they wanted to charge me $2000. I stayed on and left this week.
I just had a conference in SIN cancel due to the raised warning. I hope ANA extends its waiver to SIN soon, or I'll end up wishing I had booked with a U.S. carrier. At least then I would be able to use the credit minus the change fee.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by rjque
I just had a conference in SIN cancel due to the raised warning. I hope ANA extends its waiver to SIN soon, or I'll end up wishing I had booked with a U.S. carrier. At least then I would be able to use the credit minus the change fee.
No waiver to SIN as of today. Y.

My ticket is non-refundable but ANA does give a credit less change fees that is valid for a year (see below).
Tickets are non-refundable.
However, full value of wholly unused ticket may be applied
towards purchase of a new ticket priced at equal or higher
value upon payment of the change fee contained in this rule
within 1 year from the original date of issue, provided
original reservations are cencelled prior to originally
scheduled flight.
Any difference in fare, taxes, fees and/or surcharges
must be collected at time of reissue.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by rjque
The US carriers haven't put out SIN waivers either.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alchemista
The US carriers haven't put out SIN waivers either.
Yes, but a credit on a U.S. carrier is actually useful to me. It is unlikely that I would be able to use a credit on ANA within 12 months. Lesson learned, I guess.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:46 pm

ANA pushed out the dates by 1 month today for the same covered destinations:
https://atpa.fly-ana.com/news/travel...break-update-6
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm in a similar position to some others in that I have a family leisure trip scheduled for March 11 to 24 with kids aged 4 and 7 (one week driving around Honshu followed by one week in Tokyo).

I could refare to April without any net change in cost (longer story), but I can't think of any way to predict that April will be "better" than March. I've also hoped for fewer crowds in March (glad to see the confirmation of that above) plus they say the cherry blossoms will be out in mid-march during our stay.

I considered trying to refare to September but I ran into something I wasn't expecting. As mentioned by someone above, ANA tickets can be rebooked up to one year from issue date. Unfortunately I bought these tickets in June (by far the furthest in advance I've ever bought airline tickets, oops).

At this point there's no financial penalty for me to wait until a day or two before departure to see if the panic increases to the point of waivers or travel restrictions. Other suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m not concerned yet about our 2-week family trip to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Beijing, but I want to be prepared to change or cancel if the time comes. My tickets are a little complicated.

NH awards in J for 4 pax. On AC metal with one flight on CA. USA-YYZ-HND; KIX-PEK; PEK-YYZ-USA.

If AC and/or CA are still cancelling flights or the US continues to quarantine folks who’ve been in China, then we will have to change our plans.

If we were to go only to Japan, would NH be flexible about finding/opening flights for us on their own metal? I’m seeing some UA we could take by changing prematurely now. But no returns.

One of our tix used points that were expiring. As long as I don’t change anything, the ticket is fine. If I voluntarily change, I imagine they’d expire. But what if the flights themselves get canceled? Just trying to figure out how I should strategize for optimum solution. And if I’ll need more NH points, I’ll need to transfer those sooner rather than later due to transfer lag.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TheBagman
I'm in a similar position to some others in that I have a family leisure trip scheduled for March 11 to 24 with kids aged 4 and 7 (one week driving around Honshu followed by one week in Tokyo).

I could refare to April without any net change in cost (longer story), but I can't think of any way to predict that April will be "better" than March. I've also hoped for fewer crowds in March (glad to see the confirmation of that above) plus they say the cherry blossoms will be out in mid-march during our stay.

I considered trying to refare to September but I ran into something I wasn't expecting. As mentioned by someone above, ANA tickets can be rebooked up to one year from issue date. Unfortunately I bought these tickets in June (by far the furthest in advance I've ever bought airline tickets, oops).

At this point there's no financial penalty for me to wait until a day or two before departure to see if the panic increases to the point of waivers or travel restrictions. Other suggestions welcome.
Check if your ticket allows refund. Mine did not but allowed for credit.
When I cancel my ticket, the ANA agent wasn't even aware that I could get a credit minus the cancellation fee to be used later.
So, check the fare rules for your ticket instead of relying on the knowledge of the ANA agent.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by salfcl
Check if your ticket allows refund. Mine did not but allowed for credit.
When I cancel my ticket, the ANA agent wasn't even aware that I could get a credit minus the cancellation fee to be used later.
So, check the fare rules for your ticket instead of relying on the knowledge of the ANA agent.
Good point, you're right it does offer this:

https://www.ana.co.jp/int_farerule/t...usa_nr_en.html
full value of wholly unused ticket may be applied
towards purchase of a new ticket priced at equal or higher
value upon payment of the change fee contained in this rule
within 1 year from the original date of issue, provided
original reservations are cancelled prior to originally
scheduled flight.
I'm assuming that the "1 year" condition means "use the credit within one year of original issue", not that the new flight has to be within 1 year of the original issue. I think the distinction between "change" and "refund/credit/buy-new" is where my wires were crossed. These situations have always been a theoretical for me, before now.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Bandit
Is anyone reconsidering their plans to fly NH to Tokyo? I've got a purely optional, tourist family trip planned in 3 weeks.
Well, after the CDC raised Japan to a Level 2 alert, I ended up cancelling my award flight (booked through VS). One of the museums (Ghibli Museum) we were going to visit is also closing for a few weeks due to this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Billy Bandit
Well, after the CDC raised Japan to a Level 2 alert, I ended up cancelling my award flight (booked through VS). One of the museums (Ghibli Museum) we were going to visit is also closing for a few weeks due to this.
also noticed Ghibli closing as we had it planned, but the flights are in mid-May, let's see what happens in the next two months.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:30 pm

I have a trip planned from NYC - NRT - BKK.

NY to NRT is on UA. NRT to BKK is on NH. Originally we planned a 5 day stop over in NRT but thinking about foregoing that stop and heading straight to BKK.

How do I find my fare rules?

Any chance NH will do this change without charging a change fee considering the circumstances?

The ticket was booked via NH.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k / Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That would be my reading of the text, however it is vague enough to not offer a certainty that it is what is meant.
Had a similar experience as others with ANA phone agent trying to understand the change rules.

YMMV (hope it does)

Booked rev PE ticket for a crazy price last December for travel end of March SFO - TYO - HKG - TYO - SFO

Called the US number today (310-782-3011), spent 1hr on hold and was ultimately routed to the JP call center. Agent was nice, great English, but seemed confused on the rules in place for the waiver. Told her I was looking to change travel dates to Sept, same routing, provided flight numbers desired etc. Agent put me on hold to look up the flights, came back stating that I could either take a refund or travel would have to take place by 4/20 to avoid penalties. I explained that I thought rules were stating that I needed to make the change by 4/20, not travel by that date, as I took for granted there would still be virus risk at that time in HK... Agent agrees it didn't seem right, put me on hold to check the policy again with someone, and came back stating that travel does indeed need to take place before 4/20 to not incur change fees.

Obviously I don't want to take the refund, as the value of taking the trip at that insane price outweighs having a couple bucks back in my pocket... Really not scared of the HK portion, but the rub is I found a replacement trip to TYO during that date range also for a steal on UA metal with business upgrades available that works better for my schedule.

Hoping to call back tonight and have more luck with a different CS agent, will report back if that comes to fruition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.