Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Anyone at Alitalia I can call with some disability awareness training?Very bad so far

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone at Alitalia I can call with some disability awareness training?Very bad so far

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Posted in disability forum:
Originally Posted by LapLap
First hiccup

I just called Alitalia to ask about their policy regarding wheelchairs (namely, what happens if I arrive in Tokyo and the chair doesn't).

The guy went off to make enquiries - official line is that they consider the wheelchair to be the same as any other piece of baggage. If it doesn't arrive the helpful suggesion I was given was that I should buy another and that this would be a matter to take up with an insurance company. How this task could be achieved... no suggestions, nor even a hint of sympathy, especially as it hadn't happened.

Having had this conversation I'm more worried about the LHR-FCO flight (I can't imagine for a second that the nice folks at NRT would boot me out of a courtesy chair into thin air). If all the Alitalia people are like him, I can well imagine that they would boot me out of a loan chair and onto the floor.

--------

Enforcement of EU regulations 1107/2006 concerning the rights of disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility when travelling by air
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...en00010009.pdf

Seems to me the following point in particular has been violated

Article 11 (Training)

Especially as they should be able to brief me on
Article 8 - section 1
Annex 1 - (11th point)

Which outlines the Airport's responsibilities (which according to Article 9 point 5 could well be funded by Alitalia)

- I have asked to speak to a Supervisor (who remembers my conversation as she was the one the original guy went to for advice) and they requested I call back in half an hour.
Frankly, I seem to have made enemies just by asking ordinary questions that anyone in my position would be stupid not to ask.

Being told that Alitalia will accept 3 different kinds of wheelchair doesn't really seem to cover the 'disability awareness training' EU law now demands. Being made to feel like a bellicose and hysterical whiner just because I'm enquiring as to what the procedure is if that chair doesn't make it to the Arrivals Hall seems really unfair.

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 18, 2007 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And to think I encouraged this forum to open....

If you have any questions don't call Customer Services, speak to someone at the Dedicata lounge at FCO
+39 06 65636277/78.

or, failing that, try one of the Sala Amicas in either MXP or LIN.
Milan numbers:
http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en...to=servizi_sea

The Dedicata lounge also serves as a check in desk for passengers with needs. Unfortunately, no-one will volunteer this information until you reach the end of the queue for check in.

It's located behind the check in desks at the far wall from the entrance.

As the staff here get more involved than being mere lounge custodians, they are probably the best people to speak to if you have any concerns.

Don't count on finding any form of refreshments once you are in this lounge, but there are extremely comfy chairs, a remarkably good bathroom for those with disabilities (even a shower head for bidet use) a TV and Italian papers. You will be guided to the gate from here. A smooth and painless process.

However, once in the plane and installed in your seat you can call and call and call and call and call for a FA. And that's exactly what you will get, sweet FA.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Note that in general disability awareness in Italy lags decades behind that of the U.S. and some other Western countries. I've seen a route map for the parts of Venice which are supposed to be "wheelchair accessable", and those include bridges with stairs, very rough streets, etc.

I once stayed in a hotel in Florence which claimed to be handicap accessable. Big accessibility sign (the stylized wheelchair) on the front door. Part of it was, once you were upstairs and inside the door. (there was a step in the corridor, but several rooms were prior to that step, so I guess those were OK). The problem is, the hotel was on the first floor (Italian first floor is the same as American second floor) of an old palazzo, and that floor was about 30 steep old stone steps up from the ground floor. No elevator.

So it's not just AZ; much of the country doesn't get it. There is a strong movement starting up to push for greater awareness and understanding, but it's hard to adapt 500 year old infrastructure.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Note that in general disability awareness in Italy lags decades behind that of the U.S. and some other Western countries. I've seen a route map for the parts of Venice which are supposed to be "wheelchair accessable", and those include bridges with stairs, very rough streets, etc.

I once stayed in a hotel in Florence which claimed to be handicap accessable. Big accessibility sign (the stylized wheelchair) on the front door. Part of it was, once you were upstairs and inside the door. (there was a step in the corridor, but several rooms were prior to that step, so I guess those were OK). The problem is, the hotel was on the first floor (Italian first floor is the same as American second floor) of an old palazzo, and that floor was about 30 steep old stone steps up from the ground floor. No elevator.

So it's not just AZ; much of the country doesn't get it. There is a strong movement starting up to push for greater awareness and understanding, but it's hard to adapt 500 year old infrastructure.
So when they open a brand new rail route (The Leonardo Fumicino Express) and charge premium prices for it, it's great to know that they have the disabled in mind.

I'm glad you see it. Thanks for your comments.

I'd done some research and looked on the web and believed this would be managable as the train has disabled 'badges' included in the timetables.
What a terrible, terrible trick to play on us.

Anyway, I posted a mini report in the Disablity Forum.

As long as you don't want anything from the stewards inflight, AZ were very good. But if you're a wheelchair user, dont even consider going to Rome. I'm so happy to have realised the inherent attititude towards the thousands of infirm, elderly and disabled people who feel obliged to go see El Papa and the centre of their Faith

I shouldn't need a wheelchair or walking aids in the near future, but this experience has completely put me off Rome for good. I don't expect wheelchair access throughout the Colesseum, but I do expect to be able to get into the centre without having to cough up obscene taxi fares when I'm in a chair and can't afford them. And for a website to lie so blatantly about access to a public service is really unforgiveable. Even the ticket lady never thought to mention that I wouldn't be able to get on the train or seem remotely bothered by this fact. And to think that this shining paragon of collective social responsibility is the very centre of a religion that sees itself as just that. I hold the Vatican responsible - they have always had the clout necessary to encourage and nurture a mentality and infrastructure capable and willing to cater to the infirm and disabled, but I guess there was no need as Pilgrims have traditionally felt their journey was was more worthwhile and the likelihood of their prayers being answered all the greater if they suffered getting there - dried chickpeas in your shoes was once a popular choice, less ostentatious than crawling or self flagellation. (Sorry - rant over)

If you're on wheels and want to see the world a bit, go to Tokyo instead, at least this city is trying its best. And no matter how busy the station, someone always offers to provide assistance.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I have to agree, Italy is decades behind on disability access. As shown in my anecdote and your stories, they can slap a disabled access logo on something when the real accessibility is only partial, and there are still barriers in the way.

There is a fledgling movement in Italy to address this, but their voice isn't strong; and it gets lost in the massive overall infrastructure problems which Italy faces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.