Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:16 pm
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I’m booked in A class premium economy MEX > FCO in a couple of weeks. Just got the email and looking at a 230€ minimum, €460 max. Curious if anyone has a data point or suggestion for the bid? TIA
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by dp555
I’m booked in A class premium economy MEX > FCO in a couple of weeks. Just got the email and looking at a 230€ minimum, €460 max. Curious if anyone has a data point or suggestion for the bid? TIA
No data point as I've not travelled that route, but received wisdom is that you should bid more than the minimum (even €5 makes a difference) and keep checking the load factors (dummy booking if you've no other way). Anything that moves that little needle to "fair" or "good" is probably gonna work if J isn't full.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:39 am

FCO - YYZ
premium economy to business accepted at 255e each (10e more then minimum GOOD bid)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:13 pm
formerly DNPierson1

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
No data point as I've not travelled that route, but received wisdom is that you should bid more than the minimum (even €5 makes a difference) and keep checking the load factors (dummy booking if you've no other way). Anything that moves that little needle to "fair" or "good" is probably gonna work if J isn't full.
that's great, thanks. i'll bid just above the minimum and will report back once I have a new datapoint for the forum.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:32 am
formerly DNPierson1

235€ bid accepted for this MEX > FCO 12 hour flight! Just 5€ above the minimum and a steal IMO. Thanks for all the help here friends
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
235€ bid accepted for this MEX > FCO 12 hour flight! Just 5€ above the minimum and a steal IMO. Thanks for all the help here friends
Congratulations, that’s an absolute bargain! Enjoy the comfort and the food and wine, I love the experience in AZ J.

If you’re travelling solo, best seat on the 777 is 1L - super private - followed closely by 1A.
dp555 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Do you get the miles of business class or do you only get miles from original booking if your bid is accepted?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:09 am

Original booking [and will also need to ‘retro-claim’ if crediting to any other applicable program e.g. Flying Blue due to the revised post-upgrade’s booking class, which is ‘picked up’ but normally a ‘nil-earner’ in other programs].

G
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:00 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Was I correct in being denied any extra luggage allowance after upgrading to biz on my FCO to Brussels flight? Was the only reason I upgraded. She wanted to charge me 400 euros for my bags... even after talking to a manager. Ended up spending 25,000 Delta miles to now fly thru ams. Really want to fight this but maybe I misunderstood the benefits of the upgrade ?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Data points and a fail/success story

LAX-FCO - originally booked in P and with some delta magic rebooked in A (eye roll but did not want to deal with it). Minimum to J was EUR 280 up to about 450/500. I bid 300
Bid was rejected at T-48 and the flight had been showing J2/J4/J3 the week leading up to it. I was bracing for 13 hours in PE

At flight time, the flight was J2.
I was able to request and was granted (!!!!) the onboard upgrade option for 12.500 MilleMiglia and enjoyed the long flight to Roma. Apparently the onboard upgrade is only available to CFA/FAP status holders? As a Freccia Alata member I did not mind at all!
The purser was able to look me up on her inflight tablet and initiate the mileage upgrade, though the miles are still not withdrawn from my account ~10 days after flight. I imagine AZ won't sit on the opportunity to claim some miles back forever, though
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Was I correct in being denied any extra luggage allowance after upgrading to biz on my FCO to Brussels flight? Was the only reason I upgraded. She wanted to charge me 400 euros for my bags... even after talking to a manager. Ended up spending 25,000 Delta miles to now fly thru ams. Really want to fight this but maybe I misunderstood the benefits of the upgrade ?
Yes, you were correct. The increased business-class luggage allowance is NOT one of the benefits accruing to an upgrade by bid; you generally get only the "soft" products associated with business class (seat, meal, lounge) and not the "hard" products (mileage, baggage, ticket flexibility).

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/fly-a...n-upgrade.html
Attached Images  
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes, you were correct. The increased business-class luggage allowance is NOT one of the benefits accruing to an upgrade by bid; you generally get only the "soft" products associated with business class (seat, meal, lounge) and not the "hard" products (mileage, baggage, ticket flexibility).

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/fly-a...n-upgrade.html
Okay, thanks for correcting me. A $400 mistake on my part haha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.