FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   Bid for upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1787059-bid-upgrade.html)

speedlog Aug 26, 2016 10:48 am

Bid for upgrade

In light of an upcoming flight, I was sent an email with an offer to bid for an upgrade to business class. I checked it out, and one leg was eligible (LCY - LIN), bidding started at 80€/passenger. Doesn't seem worth it for such a short flight, although during lunch time. Would this suggest that economy is oversold, or business undersold? At any rate they ought to be able to move the curtain as necessary.

I'm interested to hear if you have had any offers like this.
Thanks!

shadowline Aug 26, 2016 10:57 am

55EUR min for ATH-FCO. No offer for my onward to AOI.

I have a PP and I don't mind sitting next to someone on a plane. I'll pass!

Air Rarotonga Aug 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog (Post 27122968)
In light of an upcoming flight, I was sent an email with an offer to bid for an upgrade to business class. I checked it out, and one leg was eligible (LCY - LIN), bidding started at 80€/passenger. Doesn't seem worth it for such a short flight, although during lunch time. Would this suggest that economy is oversold, or business undersold? At any rate they ought to be able to move the curtain as necessary.

Thanks!

I would not take the offer on any flight operated by an E75 and E90 from CT. The seat next to you will not be blocked on those aircrafts. Maybe the panino served in business class might be a warmed up one, instead of snacks behind the curtain. But I don't know the meals served on EU flights op by CT.

speedlog Aug 27, 2016 12:39 am

Agreed on all points, very little appeal to this offer.

irishguy28 Sep 2, 2016 7:07 am

Originally Posted by speedlog (Post 27122968)
Thanks!

This is rather new. You don't need to wait to receive an offer - you can make a bid on any 055-issued Alitalia ticket (other than redemption tickets and others as excluded in the T&Cs) by visiting the "Get an Upgrade" page - powered by Plusgrade (as used by Etihad for several years already)

https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-a...n-upgrade.html

Buying shorthaul upgrades is generally a waste of money - and these don't give any increased mileage amount.

Might be of interest for longhauls, though.

richyhu Sep 2, 2016 11:14 am

I was curious to see how this worked a few weeks back and put in a relatively low offer on an FCO-LHR leg. I was emailed 48hrs in advance to say my bid hadn't been accepted. Not sure if it was pure coincidence but when I actually got to the gate to board, I found out I had been give an upgrade anyway as the flight was overbooked (at no cost of course).

On the return leg - again purely out of curiosity to see how the system worked, my bid for an upgrade was accepted, but I found that the miles were initially credited as a Z award flight (0 miles) instead of the original Economy booking class. I called the call center and after some confusion from the 1st line support - they were completely unaware of how it was supposed to work - they checked with a supervisor who confirmed this was a known issue and then credited the correct miles instantaneously to my account.

GBobon Sep 16, 2016 1:06 am

hi guys,
i bid 55e for OTP-FCO and they accepted it... :) and the roundtrip ticket was only 80E

island82 Dec 11, 2016 3:53 pm

I put in a bid for 220euro for MXP-JFK and was accepted, although I didnt get an email regarding my offer being accepted, only come to find out during check in that my bp showed Business instead of PE.

As this was all booked through AZ(055 ticket number) and crediting to DL to get the dollar qualification value, Z class for successful upgrade bid doesnt earn anything according to DL chart, I was originally booked in A class, so question will be what will AZ provide to DL as to how my mileage earnings will be?

moe8555 Mar 9, 2017 9:32 pm

Data point: 305 euro bid for JFK-FCO declined despite 8 seats showing as available. Max bid allowed was 410. Seems kind of ridiculous for them to reject in light of their severe cash flow issues as of late...

Much lower bid on the outbound was also rejected and plane flew with 4 empty biz seats. No wonder they're in the red with this kind of disregard for people willing to pay more!

jmj10 Mar 10, 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 28016884)
Data point: 305 euro bid for JFK-FCO declined despite 8 seats showing as available. Max bid allowed was 410. Seems kind of ridiculous for them to reject in light of their severe cash flow issues as of late...

Much lower bid on the outbound was also rejected and plane flew with 4 empty biz seats. No wonder they're in the red with this kind of disregard for people willing to pay more!

This is good to know, as my husband and I are planning on trying to bid for our flight BOS-FCO in May. We were debating how much or how little to try (and had the same mindset as you about the severe cash issues, ETC). I agree, seems pretty nuts to not take extra cash where you can get it!

ajeleonard Mar 10, 2017 7:48 am

EUR 90 accepted for FCO-LHR last week

AlicorporateUK Mar 10, 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 28018170)
EUR 90 accepted for FCO-LHR last week

Out of interest, on which service and how was the LF at the front? Curious because the current C fares out of LHR on AZ translate into pure absurdity: I'm going down with work next week and got a quote off our corporate travel agent for nearly 900 quid. I'd normally fly AZ to either FCO or LIN but this time I went for LH which was roughly 60% cheaper (C, still) compared to AZ... In any case, 90 EUR is not bad at all.

G

vigorsol Apr 3, 2017 4:00 pm

EUR 75 accepted for BRU-LIN last week
mixed feelings here:
- AZ "does not pay" for premium security in BRU
- selected 1A on E75 (1C free, 1D free and 1F taken). Y (full) started at row 2
- decent meal

anyway AZ did not sent any "invitation to bid".

goldmarch Apr 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Last summer I received the email to bid for upgrades on ORD-FCO-ORD. I bid 400 on the outbound (I really wanted it) and was accepted for all 4 of us traveling together. I bid 300 or so for the return and was rejected. Since it was a daytime flight I didn't care as much.

AirCub1 Apr 28, 2017 5:04 pm

I put in the lowest bid possible for LHR-FCO yesterday (€95) for a flight on Sunday and received a confirmation within one hour. Maybe a reflection ofAZ's current crisis.