Wiki Posts
Search

Ripped luggage - no compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Ripped luggage - no compensation?

I recently flew MXP-FCO-TLV and upon arrival two of my duffel bag suitcases were ripped - one had about a 4cm hole in it and another had one of the handles ripped from the body. The agent at TLV told me that AZ doesn't compensate for this sort of thing so I'm out of luck (but if I had flown Lufthansa, I would have been ok - they are also handling agents for LH).

Is this really true? Can anyone recommend how to get this fixed by the airline? Two ruined suitcases and no compensation/repair? If so this may be the last straw for me with AZ.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

http://www.alitalia.com/en_en/contac...maged_lost.htm
I don't think that you're a resident in Italy , so you should take a look at the last paragraph from "DAMAGED BAGGAGE".
If you are resident abroad, please check the relevant Alitalia Baggage Customer Relations Office section. Our officers will contact you at the address/number you provided in your communication.
Hope that they'll compensate you somehow! Don't forget to keep us updated!

Last edited by danny252; Apr 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
I recently flew MXP-FCO-TLV and upon arrival two of my duffel bag suitcases were ripped - one had about a 4cm hole in it and another had one of the handles ripped from the body. The agent at TLV told me that AZ doesn't compensate for this sort of thing so I'm out of luck (but if I had flown Lufthansa, I would have been ok - they are also handling agents for LH).

Is this really true? Can anyone recommend how to get this fixed by the airline? Two ruined suitcases and no compensation/repair? If so this may be the last straw for me with AZ.
They will replace both suitcases with similar models. Call in at +39 06 65649 to ask for the procedure. What an unfriendly handler to say that - he probably says the same to LH customers.

Last edited by bungler; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bungler
They will replace both suitcases with similar models. Call in at +39 06 65649 to ask for the procedure. What an unfriendly handler to say that - he probably says the same to LH customers.
No, he probably doesn't. Which is one of the reasons why there are so many people disgruntled with AZ. Contracted staff mistreat customers, and the airline fails to take corrective actions.

I have observed similar things in several outstations.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:54 am

Yeah, you're right. Outsourced staff often just don't have the right attitude when working for AZ.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 am

Sorry to hear about the incident. In general, although the price is good on the xxx-FCO-TLV route, my friends and I have stopped flying them because of the constant lugagge issues and the simple indifference that occurs with the airline.

You can try calling the tlv number that was provided above. But, if they get back to you, they will probably say nothing can be done as it should have been taken care of at the airport (it may not be like this, but just prepare yourself for it) and they will need your contact and ticket info etc.

I would go online and fill out the form from there:
http://www.alitalia.com/US_EN/contac...e/baggage.aspx

I would mention in the body of the email , that as per the montreal convention (as listed in their site)
http://www.alitalia.com/US_EN/your_t...ti_limiti.aspx

...... you are seeking compensation. Include pictures.
Good luck.

Last edited by simba8; Apr 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.