Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan,KE Morning Calm+ (ST E+),SPG Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I disagree. If he skips Hilo, then he can't go to Big Island Candies!

Their Dark Chocolate shortbread cookies are ...dare I say it ... better than the former MVP Gold cookies ... and worth a day trip
I'm glad someone supports my desire to fly the 717 ,but yeah Duckouttahere, my wallet is bleeding already
Oooh...CHOCOLATE DIPPED cookies! That just made my 5am trip even more exiting! Thanks missydarlin^!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by bakedpatato
I'm staying in Waikiki, and I'm wondering what would be the best combination of The Bus(gross public transportation!), rental cars and airport shuttles. Monday, we're put-putting around the island so we'll need a car, Tuesday, we'll need a car for our ITO trip AND we'll need some way to get to HNL before 5am...
I've used The Bus to get from HNL into downtown Honolulu, and routes go to Waikiki also (maybe with a transfer). It's pretty fast and reasonably comfortable.

If you use a local rental car company, off airport, you'll probably do better than the airport rental places... you might consider busing into Waikiki, then renting a car for the day, returning it in the evening before you have to park overnight. You'd cab it to the ITO flight. Or, you could find a car rental chain off-airport that would let you drop it at their airport location before flying to ITO.

I seem to recall not having to pay ridiculous rates for rental cars in HNL (though gas is pricey), and, at least on the far east edge of Waikiki, I was able to find legal overnight street parking. That was on two trips, in 2004 and in 2007.

Looks like I parked at the Honolulu Zoo, which used to be .$25/hour and is now $1/hour, 24 hours a day. There might still be some street parking for free in/near Waikiki. Lots of people in your boat.

Last edited by DCA-SEA; Aug 12, 2010 at 1:02 am Reason: I Googled
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I was thinking of our HI trotting Alaskan, beckoa !
And thanks, I did use the google but its nice to ask people eh?

Have not had a chance to look over the itin myself yet...

And I don't hate the snow... just like to thaw out once a month
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seeing that tis the summer, I was wondering if someone had gone over there and had some tips; I've done my homework and I'm just wondering if I can do better.
Hey, last time I checked this is the AS forum after all, I assumed that some of us WOULD have AS's schedule memorized
But to be fair:
22nd, AS857 arrives 7:50PM
24th, HA to ITO ,leaves 5:50AM , coming back around 9pm
26th, AS860 to SEA, leaves 8:00am
As I said... not time to look at it yet- otherwise I'd of looked at more. But why not take AS ex-KOA... then you could take a OW rental over the Saddle Road. Are you planning on visiting the volcano?

As for the chocolates... they sound amazing. Don't forget Cafe 100 for plate lunch. And there's a place where they make amazing strawberry mochi ^^

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Seems like a confusing itinerary to me. I would cancel the ITO trip and just enjoy Oahu otherwise you will be spending most of your time at the airport and getting to/from the airport. Honolulu doesn't have the best transportation options (price) to be going back and forth from the airport.
Not much to see in HNL IMO... well Pearl Harbor is interesting... as is Chinaman's Hat (well Chinatown too ) but the taxes are lower in the neighboring islands.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
I've used The Bus to get from HNL into downtown Honolulu, and routes go to Waikiki also (maybe with a transfer). It's pretty fast and reasonably comfortable.

If you use a local rental car company, off airport, you'll probably do better than the airport rental places... you might consider busing into Waikiki, then renting a car for the day, returning it in the evening before you have to park overnight. You'd cab it to the ITO flight. Or, you could find a car rental chain off-airport that would let you drop it at their airport location before flying to ITO.

I seem to recall not having to pay ridiculous rates for rental cars in HNL (though gas is pricey), and, at least on the far east edge of Waikiki, I was able to find legal overnight street parking. That was on two trips, in 2004 and in 2007.
I considered the bus twice this year... but not worth the wait for my short visits IMO... and then you are limited to when they are running. There are some deals out there for rental cars, but rates throughout the islands are about to go up (taxes) IIRC. Parking in downtown Waikiki is a huge problem and is quite $$$ (and didn't find a cheap way to avoid it)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
As I said... not time to look at it yet- otherwise I'd of looked at more. But why not take AS ex-KOA... then you could take a OW rental over the Saddle Road. Are you planning on visiting the volcano?

As for the chocolates... they sound amazing. Don't forget Cafe 100 for plate lunch. And there's a place where they make amazing strawberry mochi ^^

I would but my KE miles could only book me SEA-HNL and not SJC/OAK/SEA-KOA according to the KE ladies; I said "Kona" and they said "huh?"(same went for "Can I book Hawaiian Airlines" or "SAN-OGG in December")
Yeah, planning to visit the volcano, it's been on my list of places to visit for a LONG time
Cafe 100? Gotcha.
Mochi? My friend that lives in HNL lives next to the Bubbies plant and works at Shirokiya(up at the counters,she used to work at the ice cream place)...she's planning to stuff me full of mochi everything on my last day so I'm saving up till then
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:30 am

I There are some deals out there for rental cars, but rates throughout the islands are about to go up (taxes) IIRC. Parking in downtown Waikiki is a huge problem and is quite $$$ (and didn't find a cheap way to avoid it)
Yeah, taxes are going up....still much lower than the 9.75% in LA County
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:30 am

I would but my KE miles could only book me SEA-HNL and not SJC/OAK/SEA-KOA according to the KE ladies; I said "Kona" and they said "huh?"(same went for "Can I book Hawaiian Airlines" or "SAN-OGG in December")
Yeah, planning to visit the volcano, it's been on my list of places to visit for a LONG time
Cafe 100? Gotcha.
Mochi? My friend that lives in HNL lives next to the Bubbies plant and works at Shirokiya(up at the counters,she used to work at the ice cream place)...she's planning to stuff me full of mochi everything on my last day so I'm saving up till then
Kilo Oscar November Alpha...

not that hard

But have a fun trip ^^^
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:33 am

Yeah, taxes are going up....still much lower than the 9.75% in LA County
Well specifically its a rental car fee to pay for new consolidated parking facilities (similar to what ANC just got)

Sales tax has not increased... 4.166% on most islands and 4.712% on Oahu county.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:45 am

Reload this Page WSJ: Ranking the Airlines by Fuel Efficiency...

Interesting article on how the airlines are doing:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...677748380.html

And the associated FT thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...fficiency.html

AS did a great job last year ^

Interesting they removed thermal blankets that absorbed condensation though...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:51 am

Well specifically its a rental car fee to pay for new consolidated parking facilities (similar to what ANC just got)

Sales tax has not increased... 4.166% on most islands and 4.712% on Oahu county.
Whoops, I mixed up the increased hotel occupancy tax with the sales tax
I still managed to get the last laugh on my HNL friend one day when we when grocery shopping in sunny SAN and there was no tax
I think you and jackal get the last laugh out of me though as there's no sales tax in ANC?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:58 am

Whoops, I mixed up the increased hotel occupancy tax with the sales tax
I still managed to get the last laugh on my HNL friend one day when we when grocery shopping in sunny SAN and there was no tax
I think you and jackal get the last laugh out of me though as there's no sales tax in ANC?
Correct... no sales tax in ANC

Confuses tourists. And confuses me when I go out of state (or town) since I don't budget for it

Oh... and forgot about the occupancy tax increase Don't they want to stimulate tourism to Hawaii. I swear- if it wasn't so hot there I'd just bring a tent!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:14 am

In case anyone has this happen I received my July 1 - July 31 AS mileage plan e-statement this morning and it says I earned 22 miles on the dining program and there are no credit card charge miles shown. I've never even signed up for dining thing AFAIK. When I login to my account it says the following which look correct except the dining plan item. I don't remember this happening before.

Activity Date--Activity Type--------------Flight-----Miles----Bonus---Total
07/26/2010----BANK OF AMERICA
---------------CLASSIC CARD ACTIVITY-------------1,068------0-----1,068
07/22/2010-----MILEAGE PLAN DINING
---------------MILEAGE PLAN DINING------------------22-------0-------22
Old Aug 12, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ScottSEA
In case anyone has this happen I received my July 1 - July 31 AS mileage plan e-statement this morning and it says I earned 22 miles on the dining program and there are no credit card charge miles shown. I've never even signed up for dining thing AFAIK. When I login to my account it says the following which look correct except the dining plan item. I don't remember this happening before.

Activity Date--Activity Type--------------Flight-----Miles----Bonus---Total
07/26/2010----BANK OF AMERICA
---------------CLASSIC CARD ACTIVITY-------------1,068------0-----1,068
07/22/2010-----MILEAGE PLAN DINING
---------------MILEAGE PLAN DINING------------------22-------0-------22
I think AS automatically enrolls some BoA Visa cards in the program... they however don't earn the same points as those enrolled online IIRC.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:07 pm

Correct... no sales tax in ANC

Confuses tourists. And confuses me when I go out of state (or town) since I don't budget for it

Oh... and forgot about the occupancy tax increase Don't they want to stimulate tourism to Hawaii. I swear- if it wasn't so hot there I'd just bring a tent!
Reason #2000 for a MR run to ANC
I see billboards by the Hawaii Tourism Board all over when I drive into Long Beach...they must be really desperate to need to advertise in socal!
I snagged a nice Cash and Points rate for half my stay so the occupancy tax increase isn't hitting me TOO hard but now they're at 14% tax ai; just like at the hotels at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.