Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 Cancelations, Rebooking and Compensation - AS Offers and What to Ask for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX 9 Cancelations, Rebooking and Compensation - AS Offers and What to Ask for

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist
Does emailing customer care tend to work better than calling customer care?
If it were me, I'd Alaska Listens a concise recap of the issue so you get a case number. If no reply in ten days, then call and reference the case number.
FlyingOptimist likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, AS
It looks like I get to be another one of those other poor souls that is going to be affected by this one. We are a family of three taking our much needed getaway, with a 10 y/o kid as part of the mix. Also, my wife really likes us to sit together.

Our plan is on 1/26 YKM-SEA-MCO where the SEA-MCO leg is AS366 on a max9.
Then returning MCO-SEA-YKM on 2/3. That questionable one is AS419 on a max9.

I am totally unsure of what to do at this point. AS is the only option out of YKM. I could cancel and drive the 90min to PSC for UA DL, but a one-way non-red eye (remember the 10 y/o) from PSC-MCO is $600.

I have thought about using miles to book a backup from PDX on UA, but totally don't know what to do. Any advice out there???
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I received a cancellation notice for AS 28 SFO-JFK on Thursday this morning around 9 am PT, a little more than 3 days before departure. I was able to get rebooked on AS 292 SFO-EWR and preserve my Gold Guest Upgrade through text messaging and calling reservations. Initially, the text-based agent was unable to preserve the upgrade upon not seeing U space on Thursday's AS 292. Upon the text-based agent's initial position that nothing could be done to preserve the upgrade, I simultaneously called in (without a wait), and the phone agent was able to get U space opened to apply the GGU to the new flight. I also noted to the text-based agent that it's possible to ask for a supervisor who can approve such a change even if U space is unavailable.

I've historically not had an issue using text-based support to preserve upgrades from GGUs on new flights. However, based on today's experience, I would suggest calling rather than text messaging for a change such as this since it's possible to relay information faster than by text, especially if an agent is simply trying to look for U space on the alternate flight.

If F isn't available on your new flight option due to being zeroed out or accommodation on OAL, I would ask for a backdated reprice to the lowest Main fare available at the time of original ticketing since it is likely you purchased a higher GGU-eligible fare.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Majuki
I received a cancellation notice for AS 28 SFO-JFK on Thursday this morning around 9 am PT, a little more than 3 days before departure. I was able to get rebooked on AS 292 SFO-EWR and preserve my Gold Guest Upgrade through text messaging and calling reservations.
Good luck. This happened to me a few weeks ago (not the GGU part) and my SFO-EWR ended up getting canceled a day later and had to be rebooked on AA. Hope they've sorted a few transcons out by this point! I am booked on SFO-BOS this Friday and keep eyeing my phone warily for cancellation notifications
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist
Does emailing customer care tend to work better than calling customer care?
I dont know if it works better, but I generally like email for customer service issues two reasons:

1. I can concisely explain what the issue is and provide supporting documentation.

2. If I need to escalate, there is no doubt what was said before - I dont have to ask for them to listen to recordings or they cant say you never told us
FlyingOptimist likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ssk244
Good luck. This happened to me a few weeks ago (not the GGU part) and my SFO-EWR ended up getting canceled a day later and had to be rebooked on AA. Hope they've sorted a few transcons out by this point! I am booked on SFO-BOS this Friday and keep eyeing my phone warily for cancellation notifications
I'm keeping a backup flight for the outbound in case this happens.
ssk244 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
It looks like I get to be another one of those other poor souls that is going to be affected by this one. We are a family of three taking our much needed getaway, with a 10 y/o kid as part of the mix. Also, my wife really likes us to sit together.

Our plan is on 1/26 YKM-SEA-MCO where the SEA-MCO leg is AS366 on a max9.
Then returning MCO-SEA-YKM on 2/3. That questionable one is AS419 on a max9.

I am totally unsure of what to do at this point. AS is the only option out of YKM. I could cancel and drive the 90min to PSC for UA DL, but a one-way non-red eye (remember the 10 y/o) from PSC-MCO is $600.

I have thought about using miles to book a backup from PDX on UA, but totally don't know what to do. Any advice out there???
All SEA to MCO flights are still listed as maxes.....i would seriously book on UA or consider driving to PDX and get on the MCO flight out of PDX on AS. Everything on friday is zeroed out.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:48 pm

My SEA-ATL cancellation was rebooked to SEA-SMF-MIA-ATL. I'm grateful that I'll arrive by the time I need, but ouch.

Delta had better itineraries, but they politely declined my request just like everyone else has experienced.

There was an AA itinerary with a single layover in MIA, but one leg only had F available and they said they couldn't book it. Is that something I could try to push for, or would it be a fruitless endeavor?
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by deal
My SEA-ATL cancellation was rebooked to SEA-SMF-MIA-ATL. I'm grateful that I'll arrive by the time I need, but ouch.

Delta had better itineraries, but they politely declined my request just like everyone else has experienced.

There was an AA itinerary with a single layover in MIA, but one leg only had F available and they said they couldn't book it. Is that something I could try to push for, or would it be a fruitless endeavor?
THAT. IS. INSANE.

Call back and ask for DL non-stop! or an AA flight via DFW/ORD or other gateways!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, AS
1/22 9:00pm Well, I am on hold with AS about my flights to see what they can do...if anything. They say it is a 94min wait.

One thing I have noticed today is that outgoing flights out of Seattle and Portland on other carriers have gone absolutely ballistic in prices today for Friday flights. As of now, it is hard to find an outbound flight on AA or UA from Seattle. Portland didn't get nuts until this evening.

Saturday still isn't affected much.

Luckily, earlier today, I did book flights out of Spokane on UA to have in my hip pocket depending on how bad it gets.

----
1/22 9:56pm line went dead and disconnected. Calling back. Still a 94min wait.
----
1/22 10:53pm got an agent based in Seattle. She got us rebooked on a AS flight to DFW then from there AA to MCO. On the way home, it is UA to SEA via IAH. Keeping us somewhat together so my son isn't by himself made it difficult. Finally got it figured out at 11:50pm.
----
1/23 10:24am got notification that my flight on 1/26 has been cancelled. Problem is, I don't know if it is the old SEA-MCO flight or the new SEA-DFW flight. It doesn't say. Unfortunately, I fear it is the latter.
----
1/23 2:19pm initiate chat to confirm which flight is actually cancelled. At 2:57pm, connected with an agent. Confirmed SEA-DFW is cancelled. No other options available.
----
1/24 about 8am, I see that it looks like AS366 for 1/26 has been swapped out for a 900. I go on chat to see about changing back. Chat was fast, but am told it is still zeroed out.
----
1/24 about 9am. I got back on chat. It is quick. The flight is back on, but it is totally booked with no other options. They are pushing me to cancel.

Last edited by applegrcoug; Jan 24, 2024 at 10:33 am Reason: play by play
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by applegrcoug

Check the UA forum thread - they have MAX related cancellations, too.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Hoping that someone can sanity check my strategy here. I have JFK-SEA-SFO-JFK booked for this Saturday, with both transcons on MAX 9s as of now.

I called reservations last night in hopes of getting a sympathetic agent who would let me push the entire thing back several weeks. No dice, so I guess I'm taking my chances.

My plan if something cancels is to push this back as far as the waiver period permits, and just keep doing that until (a) a date I can actually travel, or (b) the aircraft get back in the air and I am forced to cancel. My available travel dates are limited as next weekend I have a different trip, and the following weekend I am supposed to do this exact same itinerary a second time.

-J.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Hoping that someone can sanity check my strategy here. I have JFK-SEA-SFO-JFK booked for this Saturday, with both transcons on MAX 9s as of now.

I called reservations last night in hopes of getting a sympathetic agent who would let me push the entire thing back several weeks. No dice, so I guess I'm taking my chances.

My plan if something cancels is to push this back as far as the waiver period permits, and just keep doing that until (a) a date I can actually travel, or (b) the aircraft get back in the air and I am forced to cancel. My available travel dates are limited as next weekend I have a different trip, and the following weekend I am supposed to do this exact same itinerary a second time.

-J.
I'm in a similar boat with some G fare t-con mileage runs. I haven't tried to push it back yet, but am curious what others will suggest. Since they are just MRs it wouldn't be the end of the world to cancel but I'd be sad at losing those affordable EQMs.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:32 pm

I'm in a similar boat with some G fare t-con mileage runs. I haven't tried to push it back yet, but am curious what others will suggest. Since they are just MRs it wouldn't be the end of the world to cancel but I'd be sad at losing those affordable EQMs.
Welp that was fast. Just got the notification that my MR for Friday was canceled. Was able to push it out one week online. Lost one of my aisle seats. We'll see if the flight next week actually goes through.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Mine are all G fares as well. I tried looking yesterday and they wanted 60 cents to change, within the waiver period

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.