Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 Cancelations, Rebooking and Compensation - AS Offers and What to Ask for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Moderator Note

New thread about AS reaccommodation and Customer Care compensation for MAX 9 disruptions.

All off-topic posts will be deleted, or possibly moved without notice.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:17 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Reposting my experience and questions from the original thread:

My last of four flights today was cancelled a couple of days ago. When I called Tuesday night they said the only option they could do was have me stay overnight at SEA and take a morning flight. I asked if they could book me on another airline’s flight late that evening instead of having to sleep at the airport. The customer service agent said the only option was to take a Delta flight that evening, so I said that was fine.

I asked if I was still able to get Original Routing Credit for the last leg for EQM since they cancelled my original flight and put me on another airline’s flight. The customer service agent said he has never heard of ORC and he put me on hold to talk to a couple of supervisors who all said they have never heard of ORC.

Am I still able to get ORC for the last leg since they booked me on another airline?

Also, I looked at my mileage activity and it looks like they charged me 10,000 miles to book me on the Delta flight. I don’t remember agreeing to pay 10,000 miles to be put on a Delta flight. Is this a common thing, or should I be asking Alaska for my miles back?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist

Am I still able to get ORC for the last leg since they booked me on another airline?

Also, I looked at my mileage activity and it looks like they charged me 10,000 miles to book me on the Delta flight. I don’t remember agreeing to pay 10,000 miles to be put on a Delta flight. Is this a common thing, or should I be asking Alaska for my miles back?
Asking a reservations agent about a mileage plan issue (ORC) is apparently not helpful. After your flight, submit your request to MileagePlan customer service via email. And of course also collect a few Delta miles

No, they should not have charged you 10k miles. Delta isn’t even a partner, so there are no Delta awards. I suspect this must be something else, but perhaps post a screenshot of what your account shows for this transaction for further help.
jamiel likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Minos
I had a nonrefundable Airbnb for this weekend that got canned because AS canceled. My opinion is that this is not an act of God and that Alaska or Boeing should be paying non refundable third party services.
Originally Posted by Minos

Plus are they even refunding cancelled flights to customer CC or are they giving back lousy vouchers with all kinds of strings attached.

(from the old thread, posted by Minos )

I doubt AS will pay for consequential damages now, but responsibility is sort out, you could send a bill to Boeing (or whoever) and take them to Small Claims Court. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t quite a few passengers who missed prepaid or non-cancelable hotel stays. I canceled my week in Mexico next week before the hotel became non-cancelable.

AS should refund your ticket as cash (to the original credit card).
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Had an original 1/10 direct HNL-SFO flight AS876 on a 737-800 that I changed last week (pre incident) to Tueday 1/09. Post incident Tue AS876 cancelled as assigned plane was Max-9. AS customer service unable to rebook another direct AS876 until Friday citing Wednesday and Thursday direct flights were full Rebooked on Friday which again cancelled due to being a Max-9. Subsequently was rebooked on a HNL-SEA-SFO for Friday. Being the glutton I am, I checked the AS website today and noticed that about a dozen seats were on sale for today's AS876 that was suppose to be full. Very frustrating as I constantly checked the AS website for this flight and it did not appear until a couple hours before departure time.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Mainly a gripe and data point/warning. AS rebooked me on AA but they booked me in B class, so I'm not showing up on the waitlist for upgrades (75k). If you are re-booked on AA and have status, make sure to double check what fare class they are booking you into.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingOptimist
Yes. I was offered a flight on United or AA - ended up choosing AA b/c the times were more favorable but I asked the CSR about ORC on United and he said yes I'd get it, just to manually request it after the trip. I think my wording was EQM instead of ORC though and he understood what I was asking about.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chihua2016
Had an original 1/10 direct HNL-SFO flight AS876 on a 737-800 that I changed last week (pre incident) to Tueday 1/09. Post incident Tue AS876 cancelled as assigned plane was Max-9. AS customer service unable to rebook another direct AS876 until Friday citing Wednesday and Thursday direct flights were full Rebooked on Friday which again cancelled due to being a Max-9. Subsequently was rebooked on a HNL-SEA-SFO for Friday. Being the glutton I am, I checked the AS website today and noticed that about a dozen seats were on sale for today's AS876 that was suppose to be full. Very frustrating as I constantly checked the AS website for this flight and it did not appear until a couple hours before departure time.
Did you ask about flying another carrier?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:05 pm
pxm

Alaska is a complete mess! I called yesterday and waited for quite a bit of time for my call to be answered ~ used two telephones, with one going through the Espańol queue and the other the English queue. When I finally got through to the Spanish line, I mentioned that I had noted that my HNL - SFO flight on 13 January was no longer bookable and that I suspected that it would be cancelled. The reservation agent assured me that the flight would not be cancelled, adding that it was not on a Max 9. Well, this morning I receive a text and e-mail that my flight was cancelled and that they were sorry and that no alternative options existed.

I then call Alaska again, using the same Spanish/English two telephone method, wait over an hour, and the Spanish line answers first. I tell the agent that my flight was cancelled and that I would appreciate it if they could get me into the Bay area via another airline. The agent firsts suggests a UA flight, but when I look it up I see that it is on a Max 9 - I say not way! She then finds a Hawaiian flight via Maui, and I accept a rebooking that has us leaving 4 hours earlier than the original booking. The agent gives me a record locator for Alaska and suggests that I go on the Hawaiian website to choose seats.

A few hours later, I go on the Hawaiian website, and, you guessed it, the record locator does not work. I then call Alaska back and also try to chat with them. This time, the text chat was the first to respond, after a one hour wait, and I tell them that the record locator is not working - I am told that it *is* the correct record locator and that I should contact Hawaiian and give them my ticket number to ask them why the record locator cannot be found on their website.

Alaska used to be my favorite airline until this episode. I understand that the Max 9 issues are not necessarily their fault, but, surely, they could do something about their high wait times for support and not providing customers with correct information.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pxm
The agent gives me a record locator for Alaska and suggests that I go on the Hawaiian website to choose seats.

A few hours later, I go on the Hawaiian website, and, you guessed it, the record locator does not work. I then call Alaska back and also try to chat with them. This time, the text chat was the first to respond, after a one hour wait, and I tell them that the record locator is not working - I am told that it *is* the correct record locator and that I should contact Hawaiian and give them my ticket number to ask them why the record locator cannot be found on their website.
Can you see the reservation on the AS website with the AS record locator? If so, it might display as part of the itinerary the Hawaiian record locator, too.
lensovet, brizone and willoL like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by pxm
… but, surely, they could do something about their high wait times for support…
I'm not really sure what they could do? It's not like they can just hire 100 extra agents on demand.

The PNR you were given is the Alaska PNR. You should be able to add it to your account (if it's not there already), at which point you should be able to see the HA PNR by going to Alaska.com on a desktop browser.
brizone and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Asking a reservations agent about a mileage plan issue (ORC) is apparently not helpful. After your flight, submit your request to MileagePlan customer service via email. And of course also collect a few Delta miles

No, they should not have charged you 10k miles. Delta isn’t even a partner, so there are no Delta awards. I suspect this must be something else, but perhaps post a screenshot of what your account shows for this transaction for further help.
Oh, it looks like they actually charged it to the first flight on Alaska from PDX to SEA. The first three flights were my original flights, but the fourth flight was cancelled so they moved me to the Delta flight. Not sure why they charged 10,000 miles when I already paid for that original flight. Here are some screen shots:

Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lensovet
I'm not really sure what they could do? It's not like they can just hire 100 extra agents on demand.

The PNR you were given is the Alaska PNR. You should be able to add it to your account (if it's not there already), at which point you should be able to see the HA PNR by going to Alaska.com on a desktop browser.
I'm sure the wait times will get worse over the next few days with the winter snow storm about to arrive in PDX over a 3 day holiday weekend.
notquiteaff and beckoa like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:12 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I had a SFO-AUS-SFO trip booked this weekend all on Max9. A couple days before the SFO-AUS at a nice time became a terribly timed SFO-PDX-AUS…and the M flight will probably be cancelled.

I want a weekend in Austin, and tried rebooking for April…they asked for $400 per person more.

Really feels like they are not treating customers right. (And I’m a 75k who should be a 100k once they sort out my credit card EQMs.)
notquiteaff and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I want a weekend in Austin, and tried rebooking for April…they asked for $400 per person more.
Yeah, as I have argued before in another thread, pushing out a vacation trip by a day or two at a time within the new travel window (travel by 1/20) just isn’t going to work for most. The flexible travel policy is basically a refund policy, and a refund is the least they owe anyway if they can’t operate the booked flight.
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.