Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MAX 9 Cancelations, Rebooking and Compensation - AS Offers and What to Ask for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAX 9 Cancelations, Rebooking and Compensation - AS Offers and What to Ask for

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2024, 8:42 am

Early next week I have Saver fare ORD to SFO booked non-stop returning the week after. My flight is within the current "flexible travel policy dates"(1/6-1/24) for 737 MAX 9, and my flight in on that aircraft. I called them this morning around 8:30 AM EST, estimated wait time was 40 minutes, they picked up in about 45 minutes. I said my flight is affected(on the max 9) and asked is it still scheduled, they said "Yes", it's still scheduled to fly. I asked what my options are to get on a non 737 MAX 9, and was told I could get transferred to a flight with layovers. I told them I would like direct and can they put me on a non-stop American Airlines flight, they said "no" because they have availability in their system, and AA transfers are only for when there is no availability on their flights. So - any tricks/tips to get them to put me on an American non-stop flight? The layovers basically double the flight time...
Old Jan 19, 2024, 11:23 am

Once your flight cancels, you're eligible for rebooking on another airline.
If you're just using the flexible travel policy or Max waiver, your options are limited to AS.
jakeller, beckoa and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
JFK-SFO flight zeroed out (not selling any seats) next Tuesday - Wednesday.

Call agents insisted the flights were so popular so they sold-out.

i just canceled and decided to fly DL.
sfozrhfco, ssk244 and Uchida like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Call agents insisted the flights were so popular so they sold-out.
Never mind the virtually empty seat maps, or the abundance of availability on competing carriers
Buster, sfozrhfco, buschoi and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 9:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Agents both on text and phone are telling me they can’t book on Delta that’s going to make my canceled flight rebooking a lot harder…
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: AS 100K
Will Alaska provide free hotel accommodation in the event of a forced layover? It is likely that my flight on Tuesday from EWR to SFO needs to be changed to EWR-SEA-SFO with an overnight layover in Seattle.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by avih77w
Once your flight cancels, you're eligible for rebooking on another airline.
If you're just using the flexible travel policy or Max waiver, your options are limited to AS.
If there are no alternative AS options available, you can request to rebook on another airline even if the flight has not been canceled yet.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WorldTraveler001
If there are no alternative AS options available, you can request to rebook on another airline even if the flight has not been canceled yet.
You can ask for anything but there are many reports of AS agents refusing to rebook on OAL without a cancel, and several recently about refusing to rebook on AA or DL even after a cancel.

As the grounding stretches on, sounds like AS is pushing its agents to rebook only on AS metal, which is a pretty mean-spirited policy given how poorly AS has responded to this situation.
Buster and buschoi like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I have flights on Monday: PDX-LAX-HKG-BKK booked thru Cathay Pac with the first leg on AS. I have been watching that PDX-LAX flight this week and many have been cancelled especially the later in the day flights.

When/if the flight is cancelled do I have to deal with CP or AS? Do I have to wait until it is cancelled 48hrs out or can I be proactive and try to reschedule now? Would they be receptive to that?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by billk86
I have flights on Monday: PDX-LAX-HKG-BKK booked thru Cathay Pac with the first leg on AS. I have been watching that PDX-LAX flight this week and many have been cancelled especially the later in the day flights.

When/if the flight is cancelled do I have to deal with CP or AS? Do I have to wait until it is cancelled 48hrs out or can I be proactive and try to reschedule now? Would they be receptive to that?
You need to deal with CX unless you're already at the airport for your AS flight if you're going to misconnect.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:27 am

And I doubt CX will touch it (except as a voluntary change) until the AS flight is officially cancelled.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
And I doubt CX will touch it (except as a voluntary change) until the AS flight is officially cancelled.
Thx...That's what I was thinking too. I guess I will know soon enough.

Hoping if it does get cancelled then dealing with CP will be smoother then dealing with AS at this point.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by billk86
Hoping if it does get cancelled then dealing with CP will be smoother then dealing with AS at this point.
I suspect it will be. Note that day of departure you would deal with AS.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
You can ask for anything but there are many reports of AS agents refusing to rebook on OAL without a cancel, and several recently about refusing to rebook on AA or DL even after a cancel.

As the grounding stretches on, sounds like AS is pushing its agents to rebook only on AS metal, which is a pretty mean-spirited policy given how poorly AS has responded to this situation.
They wouldn’t let me book another AS flight from Milwaukee from my original ORD, what made me think to ask about a different airline. 🤣
Old Jan 20, 2024, 11:01 am

I suspect it will be. Note that day of departure you would deal with AS.
Interesting...did not consider that. But if the flight is cancelled more than 24hrs out then I can deal with CX for the reschedule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.