Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unpleasant Experience with Paid Exit Row Seat Reassignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Hello fellow travelers,

Hope you are all doing well with travel during the holidays. I recently had an unfortunate experience with Alaska Airlines that I wanted to share with the community and get your opinions on the matter.

I recently flew with a group of 18 people, consisting of 10 adults and 8 kids, on Alaksa Airlines on a Group Reservation. In advance, we purchased three Exit Row seats to accommodate members of our group who preferred those seats. However, upon reaching the gate, we found that our Paid Exit Row Seats were reassigned to other passengers.

The gate agent informed us that, due to FAA rules, none of the adults in a group reservation with kids were allowed to occupy Exit Row seats. This came as a surprise to us, as our understanding, based on FAA and airline guidelines, was that one parent or guardian could sit in an Exit Row seat as long as another adult could attend to the children. This is not mentioned in Alaska Airlines website - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ating-exit-row
Not have a responsibility, such as a child under 15 years old, unless a second parent or guardian is seated elsewhere with child
. The parents who was seated on the Exit Row had their kids seated next to other adults/parents. This happened during our onward flight and on the return flight, the same people could sit in Exit Row Seats without any issues. I worked with the Group Reservation Desk to purchase the Exit Row seats and they did not inform about this rule.

Not only were our Exit Row seats reassigned, but the interaction with the gate agent was also quite unpleasant. The agent was not only unhelpful but also rude in explaining the situation. When we tried reasoning out with the agent, he was very rude and shouted - This is my PLANE, if you don't want to fly, get off the plane and talk to the reservation agents.

I am reaching out to this community to gather your thoughts and experiences. Have any of you encountered a similar situation with Alaska Airlines or any other airline? What is your understanding of FAA regulations regarding seating in Exit Rows when traveling with children?

I believe it's important for us, as passengers, to be aware of our rights and the regulations that govern air travel. I am considering reaching out to Alaska Airlines to seek clarification on this matter, but I wanted to hear from fellow travelers first. I am not just looking for a refund for the paid Exit Row Seats, what are the actions can be taken here..? I feel hurt that we planned this trip in advance and booked these tickets with Group Reservation Desk, spending a lot of time.

Thank you in advance for sharing your insights and experiences. Safe travels to all!

Cheers
...Mottai
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Based on your description it seems pretty clear that your travelers met the requirements outlined by AS on the web.

Most AS employees are friendly and helpful, but as with virtually any company there are some bad apples.

I would write a concise (facts only, non-emotional) message to customer service and explain what happened, Be sure to provide the travel dates, flight numbers, and reservation numbers. Express your concern that you paid for the seats and obviously expect a refund in cash, but also that the gate agent was rude and unfamiliar with the documented policies and should receive additional training on the exit row policies and appropriate customer interaction If you feel additional compensation is due, spell out what you are looking for. If the response from AS is not satisfying, file a DOT complaint.
Crazy Dave likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I feel like the agent might’ve been rude because they knew they were in the wrong and got caught. End of the day though, airline has the ultimate say as to can occupy the exit row.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Here's Rule 5A from AS' Contract of Carriage:

"Alaska does not guarantee allocation of any particular space in the aircraft. Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Alaska reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason, including from a seat for which an additional fee has been paid, and if a Passenger is improperly or erroneously upgraded to a different class of service. If a Passenger is removed from a seat for which a fee has been paid, and the Passenger is not re-accommodated in the same class of seat or a seat of equal or greater value, or if a Passenger is downgraded from a class of service and is not re-accommodated in a seat of an equal or greater class of service for which a fee has been paid, the Passenger may be eligible for a refund in accordance with Rule 17."
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm somewhat speculating but it seems the "Exit Row/Child of some association on the same plane," thing is an FAA rule and AS might have messed up before and/or it's just something they are super-sensitive about lately. There have been other threads about the issue with GA's implementing the rule wrong. OP has a right to be frustrated and, as reported, the behavior of the GA sounds terrible. Thankfully, that is the minority from what I've experienced and read about here. I'd encourage OP to reach out to AS.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Playing the devils advocate i recall years ago something about the concerns of the exit row passenger
being more focused on helping their own child vs operating the exit and "assisting"
I have no opinion one way or another but this could be the reason
PABE, JPG3392 and Keystone like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mottai
I recently flew with a group of 18 people, consisting of 10 adults and 8 kids, on Alaksa Airlines on a Group Reservation. In advance, we purchased three Exit Row seats to accommodate members of our group who preferred those seats. However, upon reaching the gate, we found that our Paid Exit Row Seats were reassigned to other passengers.

The gate agent informed us that, due to FAA rules, none of the adults in a group reservation with kids were allowed to occupy Exit Row seats. This came as a surprise to us, as our understanding, based on FAA and airline guidelines, was that one parent or guardian could sit in an Exit Row seat as long as another adult could attend to the children. This is not mentioned in Alaska Airlines website - https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ating-exit-row
Seats probably allocated by a back office. Being a group booking it may have had closer attention to details.
Gate agent would have followed what the the computer screen showed~allowed. When it comes to staff ranking gate agents are near the bottom. Others in a back office have far more responsibly.

If you had direct communication with the AS Group Reservation Desk talk to them.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 30, 2023 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by boycruz
Playing the devils advocate i recall years ago something about the concerns of the exit row passenger
being more focused on helping their own child vs operating the exit and "assisting"
I have no opinion one way or another but this could be the reason
That is exactly the reason why you can’t have a parent in exit row and a solo kid in another row. As mentioned in the OP, the requirement documented on alaskaair.com is …

that passengers seated in the exit row MUST … not have a responsibility, such as a child under 15 years old, unless a second parent or guardian is seated elsewhere with child”

And as the OP said, “The parents who was seated on the Exit Row had their kids seated next to other adults/parents.”

(assuming the kids were seated next to a parent or guardians, the other parent should have been allowed in exit row).
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Seats probably allocated by a back office. Being a group booking it may have had closer attention to details.
Gate agent would have followed what the the computer screen showed~allowed. When it comes to staff ranking gate agents are near the bottom. Others in a back office have far more responsibly.

If you had direct communication with the AS Group Reservation Desk talk to them.
OP said

This happened during our onward flight and on the return flight, the same people could sit in Exit Row Seats without any issues.”

It seems unlikely that “the back office” would find a problem with the seating arrangement for one leg, but not the other.

Even with AS antiquated IT, AS should presumably be able to determine who moved the passengers out of exit row if they are so inclined.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:43 am
jmw

It's not a stretch to assume all 10 adults will prioritize the 8 children over the welfare of the rest of the plane. You should have split the reservation. I wouldn't have said anything if I was on the plane and it was obvious parents were in the exit row. An emergency is super unlikely for me to mention anything to the FA.

Let's say the plane is going down and your children or children's friends are crying for help and maybe dying too. Your primary duty is to open the damn door, get off the plane right afterwards, and not to go backwards delaying and blocking other passengers trying to avoid dying to rescue your child or your child's friends. Your three adults are definitely not able and willing to perform the duties required in the exit row if the children are dying elsewhere in the plane.

The GA had to do what she had to do. It's not giving every customer sunshine and rainbows. I'm guessing the other GAs didn't catch it or didn't care enough.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
OP said "The parents who was seated on the Exit Row had their kids seated next to other adults/parent", but the policy they quoted said "Not have a responsibility, such as a child under 15 years old, unless a second parent or guardian is seated elsewhere with child" Were all children seated next to their own parent/legal guardian rather than another adult in the group?

Last edited by Truffles; Dec 31, 2023 at 2:36 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
GA needs to be gently reminded that it is not, in fact "[his] plane" but physically belongs to the airline (or the leasing company), and that 'ownership/responsibility' of and for that particular flight is vested in the Captain, not some poorly-informed jobsworth in a a polyester shirt and ill-fitting pants standing behind a counter inside the terminal building
notquiteaff and yyccdg like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AS
Were all the guardians legal guardians?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmw
It's not a stretch to assume all 10 adults will prioritize the 8 children over the welfare of the rest of the plane. You should have split the reservation. I wouldn't have said anything if I was on the plane and it was obvious parents were in the exit row. An emergency is super unlikely for me to mention anything to the FA.

Let's say the plane is going down and your children or children's friends are crying for help and maybe dying too. Your primary duty is to open the damn door, get off the plane right afterwards, and not to go backwards delaying and blocking other passengers trying to avoid dying to rescue your child or your child's friends. Your three adults are definitely not able and willing to perform the duties required in the exit row if the children are dying elsewhere in the plane.

The GA had to do what she had to do. It's not giving every customer sunshine and rainbows. I'm guessing the other GAs didn't catch it or didn't care enough.
if my 14 year old is on the plane I don't sit in the exit row even if my wife is on the plane with my 14 year old and even if our PNR is split. A. it seems to violate the spirit of the regulation and B. my wife would kill me 😛
philemer and JPG3392 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmw

Assuming each child had a parent or (legal?) guardian sitting next to them, per the rules on AS.com the other parent should have been allowed to sit in exit row. It’s not about giving customers sunshine and rainbows, it’s about following the documented policies (and being polite when interacting with customers).

Originally Posted by psychtobe
if my 14 year old is on the plane I don't sit in the exit row even if my wife is on the plane with my 14 year old and even if our PNR is split. A. it seems to violate the spirit of the regulation and B. my wife would kill me 😛
Yes… but I think the situation where you are traveling in a large group (friends, family?) may be a bit different.

As for the spirit of the regulation, it would have been easy to just dictate that all parents and guardians cannot sit in exit row. The spirit and letter of the regulation seems to be that one “assistant” for the child is sufficient. Should they also disallow one parent sitting in F and one with kiddo in Y? (because F parent might fight their way up the aisle to get to Y family in an emergency)

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 31, 2023 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.