Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SAN Aspire Lounge Converting to AS Lounge (Seemingly) Confirmed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAN Aspire Lounge Converting to AS Lounge (Seemingly) Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Yeah this lounge gets beat down online but it's really above average, especially now since they finally got new coffee machines. The food is trash but it's a nice big space, variety of seating options, etc.
AAway, N1120A and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Oh boo. I like the Aspire Lounge. They have a shower (yes, one shower)! Will be a shame to lose a perfectly decent Priority Pass lounge.

-J.
I'm guessing that Alaska renovates this space away

They really need to add some showers network wide. Especially with wide bodies arriving shortly (assuming...)
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Yeah this lounge gets beat down online but it's really above average, especially now since they finally got new coffee machines. The food is trash but it's a nice big space, variety of seating options, etc.
Are we talking about the same lounge? I wouldn't call it "a nice big space" by any means. I think I always end up sitting in the same seats (in the middle across from the food) since those are the only ones available. But the staff is nice and the bartenders pour heavy.

Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm guessing that Alaska renovates this space away

They really need to add some showers network wide. Especially with wide bodies arriving shortly (assuming...)
I'm sure they will. But I'm not a Board Room member so I won't have access once it switches over, unless they continue to allow PP. The JFK BR took PP for a while, so I suppose anything is possible.

-J.
jsguyrus and navydevildoc like this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Are we talking about the same lounge? I wouldn't call it "a nice big space" by any means. I think I always end up sitting in the same seats (in the middle across from the food) since those are the only ones available. But the staff is nice and the bartenders pour heavy
Exactly what I was thinking. It was nice at one point, but things are really beat down. It's not large, it's smaller than AS at LAX, and is pretty much standing room only at any point during the day. Whoever decided a modern all-white decor in a place that is going to see thousands of people a day made a huge mistake.

The bar offerings, while they do pour heavy, are limited. Probably the thing I am looking forward to most is the upgrade to the beer selection.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Exactly what I was thinking. It was nice at one point, but things are really beat down. It's not large, it's smaller than AS at LAX, and is pretty much standing room only at any point during the day. Whoever decided a modern all-white decor in a place that is going to see thousands of people a day made a huge mistake.

The bar offerings, while they do pour heavy, are limited. Probably the thing I am looking forward to most is the upgrade to the beer selection.
I usually get a double bourbon and Diet Coke (which more often than not is closer to a triple) and a Coors Light (since if I'm going to drink water, it might as well be fun water).

The staff are really cool though and I'll miss them. Last time I was there I walked in at 2142 and the bartender challenged me to see how much I could have before last call at 2150. Board Room bartenders aren't usually like that.

-J.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I am hoping that the AS management that shows up hires the bulk of the staff. I agree, they are good.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I thought it was better as the Airspace lounge. The drink selections and the food were better. The Bloody Marys were another level compared to what they offer now. And, as mentioned before, having actual airline staff onsite (AA all day, BA and JL for their flights) was a great help. Now it's just kinda sad.

For those that got PP access via the Hilton AMEX cards, they are losing access anyway as AMEX is dropping PP as a benefit from the Surpass and Aspire cards. It's still available on the Marriott Brilliant AMEX.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skunker
I thought it was better as the Airspace lounge.
Me too. Didn't feel as crowded, I could get a box of macaroons (IIRC) with the $10 card, and leftover cards could be used next time. I still have a few of those cards left
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tack
Only 1 visit this year to that lounge flying AA in August and I remember it being really crowded. But I remember the terminal as being insanely crowded and not a place I would ever want to spend a large amount of time. I don't often fly from SAN being in OC, but if the terminal is packed like it was in August? I'll take the "Aspire to be an Alaska Lounge" all the time. I'm thinking if AS drops PP and day passes and just allows OW/AA/AS guests it might get better?
The AA wing of T2 is often packed as you describe; feels like a mini ORD T3. The UA and DL wing is decidedly more relaxed whenever I've been there, and the nearby food court (directly below the DL lounge) always had plenty of tables. Moreover, the few gates between those 2 wings are usually deserted. In short, there's usually a good amount of space in T2, just not necessarily in the AA side.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Oh boo. I like the Aspire Lounge. They have a shower (yes, one shower)! Will be a shame to lose a perfectly decent Priority Pass lounge.

-J.
more evidence a worthwhile PP lounge is as rare as a white rhino. I only value them for restaurants at this point. If the Chase lounges gain traction that will help.

This lounge in October has a line for the entire two hours we were in the airport, and we didn't feel like waiting . The PGA restaurant was acceptable, twice.

We were bummed to be before the Chase lounge opening. Then we went to PHX in Nov, before the Chase lounge opening. Now we just arrived in AUS, but the Chase departures lounge is just that, for departures only. 0 for 3. We'll finally get our first shot at a Chase lounge in April in Boston.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've gotten to the point where the most determinative trait of a "good" lounge is "not crowded."
ACBLtd, diver858 and Tack like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I've gotten to the point where the most determinative trait of a "good" lounge is "not crowded."
Pretty much my metric for everything now.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by psychtobe
more evidence a worthwhile PP lounge is as rare as a white rhino. I only value them for restaurants at this point. If the Chase lounges gain traction that will help.
Completely disagree. I've yet to find a PP lounge that isn't worthwhile Yes airline and Amex lounges are obviously nicer, but I set my expectations accordingly and (other than one of the TK PP lounges in MIA) every place I've been has 100% been better than waiting at a gate.

-J.
N1120A and madmanshoney like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:25 am

Completely disagree. I've yet to find a PP lounge that isn't worthwhile Yes airline and Amex lounges are obviously nicer, but I set my expectations accordingly and (other than one of the TK PP lounges in MIA) every place I've been has 100% been better than waiting at a gate.

-J.
I've been to a few that were worse or no better than waiting at gate. A barebones one in Hawaii and Chile (Calama I think), BOS AF lounge, and the packed JAL SFO lounge right before a JAL flight come to mind. As for this SAN Aspire lounge, I'd say it's marginally better than the terminal, but when there's a wait and/or I want real food, I go elsewhere.

I've gotten to the point that I'd rather have a nice meal at the airport than a nice lounge. I was at DFW this week, one of my fav airports for lounges (I specifically picked this route for the lounges). I can get into the CapOne lounge, Centurion lounge, and tons of Be Relax massages. Those 2 lounges are some of the best in the country, but they're usually crowded with long wait to get in. I went to none of them, instead opting for a nice meal at the relaxing Pappadeaux (mid afternoon). Food was great as always, better than anything I've ever had in a US lounge. It wasn't free, but the delicious food (we don't have great Southern food in San Diego) was worth the price and the opportunity cost of foregoing lounges.

Last edited by italdesign; Dec 21, 2023 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
every place I've been has 100% been better than waiting at a gate.
I believe this is the point of contention - many have much higher expectations - particularly when paying $500+ per year for a membership, credit card AF, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.