Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SAN Aspire Lounge Converting to AS Lounge (Seemingly) Confirmed

SAN Aspire Lounge Converting to AS Lounge (Seemingly) Confirmed

Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:03 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: PDX, OGG or between the two
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 2,887
Originally Posted by skunker
From my understanding of what I overheard last month was they are taking over the Aspire lounge and expanding it.
I was at that lounge last week (Weds AM) and it was closing at 9AM for "maintenance." I'm in construction and know how things like this work and could easily see a planned closing for a few hours to get people in to make plans. 9AM on a Weds? Sounds like a pretty good low-demand time.... and planned in advance? Not like it was burst pipe and some kind of emergency.
mtofell is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:27 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: Lots of faux metal
Posts: 6,434
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I could see the new Chase Sapphire lounge filling in as the Priority Pass option.
When that new lounge was proposed I remember reading they were going to take Priority Pass as well since its in the other wing of T2. Ill see if I can dig it up.
skunker is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:38 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SAN
Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 1,013
I guess in the end, if they are taking over Aspire, there is no way it could be worse than it is now. It would still serve BA/JL pax, AA and AS members. But hopefully get rid of the myriad other programs to enter (Amex, Priority Pass, Lounge Key or whatever, Sears Auto Shop Frequent Tire Rotator Club, UCSD Library Card, etc) and stop the standing room only overcrowding.
navydevildoc is online now  
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:41 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: Lots of faux metal
Posts: 6,434
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I guess in the end, if they are taking over Aspire, there is no way it could be worse than it is now. It would still serve BA/JL pax, AA and AS members. But hopefully get rid of the myriad other programs to enter (Amex, Priority Pass, Lounge Key or whatever, Sears Auto Shop Frequent Tire Rotator Club, UCSD Library Card, etc) and stop the standing room only overcrowding.
I walked by a couple weeks ago on my way out of the airport and there was a line 10 people deep waiting to get, but entry was closed due to being at capacity.
skunker is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:57 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: SAN
Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Posts: 2,935
Hoping AS can finally turn this space around. Ever since AA abandoned the club it has spiraled into a pit of Ikea-cafeteria levels. I don't even stop in for coffee anymore as I find it undrinkable. So sad, as the UA and DL lounges at SAN are both beautiful (if overcrowded, especially in the case of DL).
JC5280 likes this.
Erasmus is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:29 am
  #21  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 2,283
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Hoping AS can finally turn this space around. Ever since AA abandoned the club it has spiraled into a pit of Ikea-cafeteria levels. I don't even stop in for coffee anymore as I find it undrinkable. So sad, as the UA and DL lounges at SAN are both beautiful (if overcrowded, especially in the case of DL).
Thank goodness for chase priority pass. Get a massage from the full body machine and then a full meal at the PGA Tour restaurant next door
worldwidedreamer likes this.
TravelingZoomer is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:33 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Thank goodness for chase priority pass. Get a massage from the full body machine and then a full meal at the PGA Tour restaurant next door
Heh I usually do this in the opposite order
worldwidedreamer likes this.
dlichterman is online now  
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:03 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,564
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
I could see the new Chase Sapphire lounge filling in as the Priority Pass option.
it was supposed to open in November - any current ETA?
psychtobe is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:50 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SEA, MKE, PSP
Programs: AS MVP75K
Posts: 399
The delta skyclub attendants said they are moving to the new terminal with a new lounge. So could AS take over the current skyclub? Its not 5,000 sq feet though. Probably about 3000 sq feet.
scklumb is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:08 am
  #25  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,809
AS is going to take over the Aspire space and some unused space that is adjacent to it. I've asked my source as to when this will happen and how long the lounge will be closed.
dayone, frankvb, N1120A and 6 others like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:16 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 598
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
AS is going to take over the Aspire space and some unused space that is adjacent to it. I've asked my source as to when this will happen and how long the lounge will be closed.
Do you know if the adjacent unused space is the current terminal corridor outside the exit-only door? That would make sense to me as the only pace for them to expand to.
AAway is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 6:29 pm
  #27  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,809
AS takes over the Aspire Lounge on January 1 2024. The current operator will continue to run the space. AS plans to acquire the adjacent space which will add roughly 40% additional space. I do not know the timing.
N1120A, beckoa, Metanoia and 4 others like this.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 7:52 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
AS takes over the Aspire Lounge on January 1 2024. The current operator will continue to run the space. AS plans to acquire the adjacent space which will add roughly 40% additional space. I do not know the timing.
I just hope the Chase lounge is open soon!
dlichterman is online now  
Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:04 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 10,781
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
AS takes over the Aspire Lounge on January 1 2024. The current operator will continue to run the space. AS plans to acquire the adjacent space which will add roughly 40% additional space. I do not know the timing.
I wonder if this will be an AS Lounge in name only or if the food options (including pancake maker) will be added? This will be the first AS Lounge with showers!
PDXPremier is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:47 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Posts: 3,338
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wonder if this will be an AS Lounge in name only or if the food options (including pancake maker) will be added? This will be the first AS Lounge with showers!
It'll be the 2nd. Like SFO, they'll likely just lock it up.
NoLaGent is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.