Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Million Milers can share their elite status with someone FOR LIFE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Milers can share their elite status with someone FOR LIFE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dave1013
The above title is from an email my MVPG-status-sharing wife received from AS this morning. It advises her that there is still time to achieve MVP status for 2024. Mind you, I nominated her to share my lifetime MVPG status via the new MM benefit. She was told that the nomination "took" - but then she gets this email today that suggests she needs to get with the program and fly some more so she can get MVP status for 2024. For the record, she qualified for MVPG for this year. With the MM benefit, no more mileage runs for her - we hope!

This was alarming and wife called the Mileage Plan, who owned up to the fact that the email was poorly written and a better version is coming out shortly. But she should not be getting any emails about retaining status or achieving status because I nominated her for the shared MVPG benefit....

Anyone else get something like this? TIA
Oh yes. The subject line on my email was, "Are you close to MVP Gold status? Open this Statement!" Instead, in headline type, "There's still time to achieve MVP Gold status for 2024."

I've been a Million Miler for a decade. Indeed, in smaller print at the top, "You've got over a million miles under your belt! Thanks for going the distance with us."

Very poorly written.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by dave1013
The above title is from an email my MVPG-status-sharing wife received from AS this morning. It advises her that there is still time to achieve MVP status for 2024. Mind you, I nominated her to share my lifetime MVPG status via the new MM benefit. She was told that the nomination "took" - but then she gets this email today that suggests she needs to get with the program and fly some more so she can get MVP status for 2024. For the record, she qualified for MVPG for this year. With the MM benefit, no more mileage runs for her - we hope!

This was alarming and wife called the Mileage Plan, who owned up to the fact that the email was poorly written and a better version is coming out shortly. But she should not be getting any emails about retaining status or achieving status because I nominated her for the shared MVPG benefit....

Anyone else get something like this? TIA
Already MM and got the same email. D’oh!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The Million Miler elite status shares are slowly continuing to trickle through.

Seattlenerdette got her notification email of MVP Gold (shared) status this morning, and it shows in the app, too. She is pleased. I am pleased.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 9:29 am

Anyone have experience with their million mile status share being updated as they hit a higher tier? I just hit 75k for the year last week, and after a few days, the missus’ app still shows MVPG. Curious if they do some kind of weekly or monthly sweep, or if it only hits at the start of a new year?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I am pretty sure that your SA will only be GMVP regardless of your status because Million Miler only give you MVPG for life, not MVPG75 or MVPG100.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by Klrduks
I am pretty sure that your SA will only be GMVP regardless of your status because Million Miler only give you MVPG for life, not MVPG75 or MVPG100.
No that's not true. The SA will earn whatever the main MP member earns. If the main MP member earns 75K organically, and is a million miler, their SA will be a 75K also. The minimum both would be is MVPG, cause that's what a million miler gets as a million miler without flying. (just FYI 2 million milers get 75K for life)

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Share the higher of your lifetime or annual earned status with someone in your household, for life. Enter your Mileage Plan account details below, along with the name and Mileage Plan number of your nominee, no later than July 15, 2023. Please note that it may take up to six weeks to process your nomination. After the initial nomination, your nominee’s status will automatically be updated each January going forward.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/si...e-elite-status
ctporter and Klrduks like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
Anyone have experience with their million mile status share being updated as they hit a higher tier? I just hit 75k for the year last week, and after a few days, the missus’ app still shows MVPG. Curious if they do some kind of weekly or monthly sweep, or if it only hits at the start of a new year?
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Share the higher of your lifetime or annual earned status with someone in your household, for life. Enter your Mileage Plan account details below, along with the name and Mileage Plan number of your nominee, no later than July 15, 2023. Please note that it may take up to six weeks to process your nomination. After the initial nomination, your nominee’s status will automatically be updated each January going forward.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/si...e-elite-status
Based on the above, the way I read it, it will only get updated on an annual basis, in January.
BayAreaTrvler likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by scklumb
Based on the above, the way I read it, it will only get updated on an annual basis, in January.
Source - Share your Status - Alaska Airlines

Terms and conditions: All members who have one million lifetime flight miles on Alaska fights are guaranteed MVP Gold status each year, and have the option to extend the higher of that status, or a higher earned status if applicable, to one companion who resides at the same home address on an annual basis. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the Mileage Plan program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler. If your companion earns a higher elite level, your account status will not change. Once a companion is designated, it will automatically renew each year. You may change the companion on your account; however, the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. Companion status is based on the Million Miler status at the end of each calendar year; mid-year status changes for companions cannot be accommodated. Shareable benefits expire upon the death of the Million Miler or failure of the companion to meet the eligibility requirements. All Mileage Plan terms and conditions apply.

I did not fly enough in 2023 for 75K status. So, in 2024 I started off as Gold.

For any MM who were 75K or 100k in 2023 but downgraded to GOLD for 2024 your nominated companion will not have a real-time status match. Looks like Alaska only runs this one a year in Jan. In addition, I'm told since I qualified for 100K under the 2x/3x Promo my nominated companion will not get higher status unless I fly 75,000 or 100,000 miles in 2024.

Per The Googler - A calendar year always runs from January 1 to December 31. On paper I was a 75K on Dec 31, 2023 right?

So, in other words, unless you have 75,000 BIS miles they can only count on Gold. What a weak watered-down perk this is for MMers. I take it the 20,000 EQM credit for MMers won't count either nor the (up to) 20k EQMs for BOA Visa spend.

Last edited by BarryL; Mar 28, 2024 at 6:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.