Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Saver Fare Earning Devaluation - Now 30% EQM/RDM (5/19/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Saver Fare Earning Devaluation - Now 30% EQM/RDM (5/19/2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Actually it is the opposite. For those that want status, they are going to have to pay for main fares to get a decent return so this gives AS the go ahead to widen the gap between saver and main. The choices will then be to pay more and get status, pay less and have a low probability of getting any benefits from being loyal, or just go free range and not be loyal to AS at all.
I assume elites on mileage runs is a tiny fraction of the number of saver seats that AS flies.

But you are right that the economics of these changes have a ton of variables. We dont really have the data to do more than speculate.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
The fare chart says X is 100% again.

just an IT oops or someone pushed a change too early?
My bet is they pushed too early. Likely partner and earning devalue coming soon as both have been errors. Yeah
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
The fare chart says X is 100% again.

just an IT oops or someone pushed a change too early?
Wow! Also it looks like earning on AA operated X fares is up to 50% from 30% it listed earlier as well.. Definitely expect this was someone pushing earlier than they planned to, or they realized from immediate calls/FT posts, etc it would get pushback without more advance notice.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Look for clues from AA.com.

saver fares on alaska are now 10 percent.

soooo..you get a 90 percent increase by crediting X fares to alaska. That wont last long.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: KE Morning Calm
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Look for clues from AA.com.

saver fares on alaska are now 10 percent.

soooo..you get a 90 percent increase by crediting X fares to alaska. That wont last long.
Main cabin O/G fares on AS credit at 25% to AA vs 100% to AS. Would you argue that this would also not last long?
Old May 18, 2023, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM
This has been picked up by some of the blogs, so it wasn't a mirage.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...g-saver-fares/

Will be interesting to see where this goes.
Old May 18, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VirtuousKangaroo
This has been picked up by some of the blogs, so it wasn't a mirage.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/alas...g-saver-fares/
Mirage?

They picked it up from this thread and/or a FTer on Twitter. “Thanks to @olouie for flagging this.”

It’s not like they discovered it on their own and had any special insights.
Old May 18, 2023, 11:53 am

I also did try and give VirtuousKangaroo credit for finding it as well (
), sorry but I dont pay for blue so can't edit tweets :-(
notquiteaff and GW McLintock like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
This is giving me nightmare flashbacks to when JetBlue "accidentally" implemented a $25 award booking fee a couple of years ago. That got rolled back within 6-12 hours and was attributed to a rogue analyst. They just came out with a restructured loyalty program last week and I'm honestly surprised this fee didn't make it to the go-live.

-J.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This is giving me nightmare flashbacks to when JetBlue "accidentally" implemented a $25 award booking fee a couple of years ago. That got rolled back within 6-12 hours and was attributed to a rogue analyst. They just came out with a restructured loyalty program last week and I'm honestly surprised this fee didn't make it to the go-live.

-J.
Good think Alaska already has that $12.50 partner booking fee ;-)
Old May 18, 2023, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They picked it up from this thread and/or a FTer on Twitter. Thanks to @olouie for flagging this.

Its not like they discovered it on their own and had any special insights.
Bennie is a notorious FT scraper. He very likely knew the original source of both the primary info and the update, but he is loath to credit FT. And no disrespect is meant to olouie .
izzik, notquiteaff, olouie and 4 others like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I never fly Saver so this doesn't/wouldn't impact me at all but I have always been surprised at the 100% miles just from a logic/business standpoint. My route is west coast to Hawaii (often with connections up/down the west coast) and I don't get the feeling the Saver folks are too concerned with miles anyway. If the way they board/de-board is any indication most probably fly once every few years, if that.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodohuipy9
Main cabin O/G fares on AS credit at 25% to AA vs 100% to AS. Would you argue that this would also not last long?
Once you join a partnership where there are reciprocal benefits (like upgrades), there's probably a certain amount pressure to keep earnings at least somewhat aligned. If earnings get too lop-sided, one partner could end up with the bulk of the elites if they start defecting to the program with more generous earnings. That was mostly the case when Northwest and Continental were partners with reciprocal upgrade benefits. Although Continental did reduce EQM earnings on their lowest fares to 50% at one point and NW did not follow suit. DL tried the same thing for a little while pre-merger, but ultimately backed out due to FF pressure.

Last edited by xliioper; May 19, 2023 at 6:37 am
Old May 18, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
particularly because saver fares are not refundable.. i could see someone having booked all their flights to earn status for the year being screwed over this (tho not sure who would actually do that). either way seems pretty bait n switchy.
I can't speak for AS, but I've pretty much booked all my UA flights through end of November. With no change fee and a (fairly) predictable schedule, I've pretty much locked in bargain bin pricing. I periodically check for fare reprices and add/collect as needed.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Damn. I was hoping to do a bunch of Saver tickets later this year to bump back up to MVPG for next year (since my work travel isn't happening anymore). So much for that.
Now I'm really glad I didn't do this on AS metal haha. I was contemplating doing exactly this to pick up MVP status, but now ... I'll probably go for DL instead.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The OMAAT article has been updated with AS confirming that changes are coming to saver fares but no confirmation as to what exactly the changes will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.