Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Saver Fare Earning Devaluation - Now 30% EQM/RDM (5/19/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM

Alaska earning chart has been revised to show Saver (X) fares now earning 30% EQM/RDM - equivalent to AA.

I wonder if this was a result of AA fliers choosing AS flights and crediting to AA to get higher returns?

In any case, the days of less expensive mileage runs are history.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:38 am

More no notice devaluations :-(
So much for the 1 mile means 1 mile marketing.
TheDudeAbides and mtxing like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by VirtuousKangaroo
Alaska earning chart has been revised to show Saver (X) fares now earning 30% EQM/RDM - equivalent to AA.

I wonder if this was a result of AA fliers choosing AS flights and crediting to AA to get higher returns?

In any case, the days of less expensive mileage runs are history.
I think this is appropriate. No one should expect to get maximum benefits with minimum spend. It just doesn't make sense.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76
I think this is appropriate. No one should expect to get maximum benefits with minimum spend. It just doesn't make sense.
Got no issues with changing the earnings, but with no notice and it looks to be applicable immediately is not good. If you purchased saver fares for a future flight expecting the earnings that AS has published when you purchased and got cut down by 70% thats pretty misleading. Hopefully they will clarify this only applies to new flight bookings.

I also worry they will change partner earnings next without notice and not grandfarther in previously purchased trips (especially since they wont really know about this on BA etc).
Old May 18, 2023, 8:14 am

I don’t ever fly saver but feel like it has raised the prices of main fares by being the place AS feels the need to compete on price.

If saver is going to get devalued, hopefully it gets devalued enough to help main fares inch proportionally lower.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by olouie
Got no issues with changing the earnings, but with no notice and it looks to be applicable immediately is not good. If you purchased saver fares for a future flight expecting the earnings that AS has published when you purchased and got cut down by 70% thats pretty misleading. Hopefully they will clarify this only applies to new flight bookings.
particularly because saver fares are not refundable.. i could see someone having booked all their flights to earn status for the year being screwed over this (tho not sure who would actually do that). either way seems pretty bait n switchy.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
I don’t ever fly saver but feel like it has raised the prices of main fares by being the place AS feels the need to compete on price.

If saver is going to get devalued, hopefully it gets devalued enough to help main fares inch proportionally lower.
Airlines are at historic profits so I doubt they lower fares, if anything this will likely lead AS to raise main cabin fares with the “more benefits” you get 😂
Old May 18, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Damn. I was hoping to do a bunch of Saver tickets later this year to bump back up to MVPG for next year (since my work travel isn't happening anymore). So much for that.

-J.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:30 am

Funny the page still says “On Alaska, you’ll earn one mile for every actual mile flown to cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Austin, Washington, D.C. and Nashville, just to name a few. View all of the destinationswe fly to now.”

even more misleading ….
Old May 18, 2023, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by felicidad76
AS differentiated itself on this point, while all the other airlines discontinued such earnings. No notice and not even a header on the website nor is anything apparent when starting the booking process (even in the footnote for Saver fares).

I've never booked one of these fares, but the action doesn't bode well for the future of MP.
eponymous_coward and mtxing like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Airlines are at historic profits so I doubt they lower fares, if anything this will likely lead AS to raise main cabin fares with the “more benefits” you get 😂
I could imagine them working to devalue saver to hopefully push more travers to main fares as a way to increase revenue per mile.

I don’t expect/hope fares to go down, but perhaps there is some room there to ease the price difference between saver and main. 🤞
Old May 18, 2023, 9:21 am

Surely they didn't wait to do this until after yesterday's AS Loyalty event so it couldn't be asked about, right? Although I doubt many of the attendees for that event book Saver.

Getting full EQM on my X leisure trips was the primary AS differentiator for me, so this is very disappointing news.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
[QUOTE=doublemazaa;35260156 but perhaps there is some room there to ease the price difference between saver and main. 🤞[/QUOTE]

Actually it is the opposite. For those that want status, they are going to have to pay for main fares to get a decent return so this gives AS the go ahead to widen the gap between saver and main. The choices will then be to pay more and get status, pay less and have a low probability of getting any benefits from being loyal, or just go free range and not be loyal to AS at all.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:23 am

The fare chart says X is 100% again.

just an IT oops or someone pushed a change too early?
StrandedinLA and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
The fare chart says X is 100% again.

just an IT oops or someone pushed a change too early?
My bet is on the latter.

I called customer care to ask if the change would apply to flights booked prior to today and it switched switched back to 100% while I was on the call. The rep had no idea what I was talking about it, and the proof had vanished before my eyes 😅.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.