Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Saver Fare Earning Devaluation - Now 30% EQM/RDM (5/19/2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Saver Fare Earning Devaluation - Now 30% EQM/RDM (5/19/2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska, IHG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is listed under the >Details link below the charts. You will find that libk under all partner charts too. It is always good to click on that to get the details for that carrier.

James
Great! Thank you for the tip!
Old May 21, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is listed under the >Details link below the charts. You will find that link under all partner charts too. It is always good to click on that to get the details for that carrier.

James
The text I quoted is in the chart and the asterisk is defined after it not in the Details.

Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Where does it confirm that saver fares or X fares are eligible for upgrades? And how does this affect miles towards MM.

I’ve never considered saver fares dues to lack of eligibility for upgrade but once I pass 100K for year does it matter if I earn more EQM for the year ( other than miles towards MM)
Old May 21, 2023, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Where does it confirm that saver fares or X fares are eligible for upgrades?
"Complimentary upgrades for Mileage Plan elites on Saver fares may be available 2 hours prior to departure. Upgrades with miles are not allowed with a Saver fare. Seating options are limited with Saver fares."

"
Fare class [upgrade] order H, K, M, L, V, S, N, Q, O, G, T, X"
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: Yes
AS just sent out an email detailing the changes, Changes are coming to Saver fares. 🤙🏻🍹
Old May 23, 2023, 6:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by olouie
I also worry they will change partner earnings next without notice and not grandfarther in previously purchased trips (especially since they wont really know about this on BA etc).
Alaska did exactly this in 2019. I had purchased discounted QF tickets 9 months before travel expecting to earn 100% of flown miles. Then 5 months later Alaska dropped the earning rate to 25%. I wrote to Alaska twice asking for an adjustment for this (to me) retroactive change. Alaska refused twice.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Alaska did exactly this in 2019. I had purchased discounted QF tickets 9 months before travel expecting to earn 100% of flown miles. Then 5 months later Alaska dropped the earning rate to 25%. I wrote to Alaska twice asking for an adjustment for this (to me) retroactive change. Alaska refused twice.
Honestly should be illegal but FFP can do whatever they want ... sigh.
Should be limited to only making changes applicable to the next year. But thats my fantasy. If they do that I would just move credit somewhere else and stop flying AS as much. I feel like there is good chance the BA bonuses don't make it much longer.
Old May 23, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
So it appears that for flights booked in X before and flown by July 19 on AS we will still earn 100% EQM. Doesn't leave much time for X mileage runs.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
So it appears that for flights booked in X before and flown by July 19 on AS we will still earn 100% EQM. Doesn't leave much time for X mileage runs.
Not quite. Any X fares booked starting today for travels on or after July 19, 2023 will be subject to limited earning.
Old May 23, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
The major points I see here are no more 500 mile minimum, and I’m not clear if a 75 or 100k can grab PE seats at booking now, or is that also at T-2? I also assume an MVP on full fare paid will trump a 100k in Saver in the race for F seats, which will result in incredibly rare upgrades for any saver flyer, regardless of status. Having said that as some above say it may make great sense for those who could care less about RDM, or those who have hit their status threshold without any chance of hitting the next one on the same calendar year.
lensovet likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
So when is Alaska changing its name to American Airlines? Because ever since the merger...err...joining the alliance, AS has done nothing but gut itself and aquire everything that was the worse parts of AA. This is why bean counters shouldn't be CEOs. They lack vision and only focus on the money and making Wall Street happy.
olouie likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Guessing as of 19th July, X will also count at 30% for MM'er status.
olouie likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by rune87
So when is Alaska changing its name to American Airlines? Because ever since the merger...err...joining the alliance, AS has done nothing but gut itself and aquire everything that was the worse parts of AA. This is why bean counters shouldn't be CEOs. They lack vision and only focus on the money and making Wall Street happy.
You mean US Airways or more accurately America West as their leadership took over US and then AA and it's been downhill ever since.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I booked a lot of saver fares, as I am never even close to status. In the past I had booked AS when paying, and DL when using points. Since it is so new, not positive what effect it will have on the way I travel, but I would imagine I will do the majority of my flying on Delta now if the fares and times are close. I have found they are extremely lenient on letting you change seats after they are assigned on saver fares. I like the seatback screens. They greet my by name almost always. I was an AS die hard until a couple years ago, and never would have guessed that DL's push into Seattle would have been successful. I think I was wrong. They are becoming my preferred airline.

Now if Delta would just lower their in cabin pet fee.
olouie likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had luck with AS agents changing my seats on saver fares day of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.