Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
STARLUX Seat Assignments for AS-issued tickets

Currently, the STARLUX website does not recognize AS-issued bookings for seat assignments. To get a seat assignments, use chat or call STARLUX.

Moderator Note

Because AS is JX’s only US partner, there is lot of interest here in its service, inflight product and FTers' general experiences. For the time being, STARLUX comments and reviews (especially J and PE) will be welcome in this thread.

There is not a dedicated JX forum on FT (discussion is the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” forum). Please try to keep posts at least a bit related to AS, if possible. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator

Print Wikipost

AS Partnership with STARLUX Airlines (JX) [Launched 4/26/2023]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hey, they can always call up their buddies at Boeing and order up some 787s and do it themselves

#ProudlyAllBoeing
Or a max9 from Anchorage to Narita
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I’ve heard rumbles from corporate management of displeasure with AA for essentially promising all these wonderful intl flights out of SEA and the new “WCIA” - West Coast International Alliance with AA, AS even hired a director of WCIA.
One World > AA.
Violin1990 and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by flytoeat
One World > AA.
And AS joining oneworld wasn't predicated on three AA international routes from SEA.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by flytoeat
One World > AA.
Originally Posted by dayone
And AS joining oneworld wasn't predicated on three AA international routes from SEA.
Then why didn’t they join OW years ago? AA was the catalyst and dealmaker and made AS offers they couldn’t back up in exchange for buddying up and joining OW.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Then why didn’t they join OW years ago? AA was the catalyst and dealmaker and made AS offers they couldn’t back up in exchange for buddying up and joining OW.
In all fairness, AA [ran into] COVID, which basically made early 2020 the absolute worst possible time to start international service. Also the West Coast has been the absolute last place to recover air traffic from COVID, so that’s basically a perfect storm of bad luck for AA here.

That being said, I think the entire plan was wacky even if you take away COVID. It depended on AA being able to get a lot of pax for SEA-BLR because UA couldn’t run their 789s far enough for SFO-BLR. Well guess what, they figured that out. AA has marginal mindshare in SEA outside of folks going to AA hubs, both SEA and LHR are highly seasonal markets for tourism, and it should have been a “um, DUH” that DL and VS were going to dump capacity in the market to keep AA out.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 27, 2023 at 10:45 am Reason: Avoid OMNI territory.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
AA was the catalyst and dealmaker and made AS offers they couldn’t back up in exchange for buddying up and joining OW.
I’ll bite. You know that AA made these promises how? While AA was the sponsor for AS to join OW, I never heard any factual or rumored enticements made by AA to secure AS membership. There were many reason AS felt now was the time to join an alliance, AA and it’s SEA growth was never promised.

EDIT: I know one of the benefits of OW membership AS was very excited about was the ability to partner with airlines outside of the alliance. The JX codeshare is a nice add.

Last edited by Tack; Apr 27, 2023 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:39 pm

By reading the news are the good rates 60k J only TPE to LAX? Since AS not allowed two partner
I would really want to try out this new J but given the fact CX 50K to HKG, and you can add 1 seg for free(my case to mainland China).
Would hope the HKG - LAX is 60K
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It depended on AA being able to get a lot of pax for SEA-BLR because UA couldn’t run their 789s far enough for SFO-BLR.
SEA-BLR had outsized O&D traffic in the Before Times. Wildly so, and with a good mix of premium cabin and economy. With the dramatic headcount reduction of H1B-centric outsourcers and changes in their big clients’ travel patterns that just evaporated.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
SEA-BLR had outsized O&D traffic in the Before Times. Wildly so, and with a good mix of premium cabin and economy. With the dramatic headcount reduction of H1B-centric outsourcers and changes in their big clients’ travel patterns that just evaporated.
The business community in Seattle responded with , great, BLR doesn’t do us any good, we’d rather have BOM, DEL or HYD. BLR was never going to work.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
STARLUX will NOT allow mileage to AS from inaugural flight TPE-LAX

I’m a little (a lot) peeved.

I was on the STARLUX inaugural TPE-LAX. Upon landing, I saw the announcement that as STARLUX flight could earn mileage on AS. I contacted STARLUX, and they responded that since the announcement was made 6 hours after my flight departed, they would not allow me to earn Alaska miles.

Seems pretty petty to me.
Old May 4, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Perhaps just submit your boarding pass to AS for retro credit instead of contacting Starlux?
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Perhaps just submit your boarding pass to AS for retro credit instead of contacting Starlux?
That’s what I had hoped to do. But my STARLUX number was in the account, and the credit was already given a Starlux. STARLUX said that they will not do anything about it.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by zrs70
I contacted STARLUX, and they responded that since the announcement was made 6 hours after my flight departed, they would not allow me to earn Alaska miles.

Seems pretty petty to me.
Given that partners buy miles for a tiny amount per mile, and it’s not likely that many people on that flight would be crediting to AS, the total cost for STARLUX of buying the miles might be as little as a few thousand dollars or even only a few hundred dollars:

TPE-LAX 6799 miles
per mile cost maybe 1.4c?
Less than $100 per leg for base miles if earning in economy, ranging to about $330 if earning 350% in first class.

I suspect that airlines also account for their own miles they award for their own flights to the members of the partner program crediting them to there, so there’s some reciprocal balancing and little actual money probably changes hands.
Old May 6, 2023, 2:22 pm
She

Any idea when can I book say, PDX - TPE (via LAX)?
On the Starlux website it only allows bookings to/from LAX. I thought partnership would mean connecting flight availability on Alaska, no?
Old May 6, 2023, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by She
Any idea when can I book say, PDX - TPE (via LAX)?
On the Starlux website it only allows bookings to/from LAX. I thought partnership would mean connecting flight availability on Alaska, no?
from the Starlux press release:

”The agreement will give both STARLUX and Alaska loyalty program members more opportunities for rewards by earning points on flights operated by each carrier. Once fully implemented, the partnership will allow customers of both airlines to book connecting flights on a single ticket, making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier.”

my guess is they don’t know yet when it will be fully implemented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.